***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

Thanks Rayvic for a great review. look forward to more if you can.

Funat55 "I'm getting a little nervous because the only port where nothing is planned is Sicily? Ideas anyone??"

Can I suggest Taormina and if poss Etna. Taormina is a beautiful town on top of a hill (very jet set) it has marvelous views, good shopping & a Roman amphitheatre clinging to the hillside where they put on plays. The views alone from there over the coast is special. Mount Etna speaks for itself. Although I dont know how far you get to the top now. But it is smoking and rumbling. We went many years ago and stood on the edge. Wow!!! is all I can say.

This is in response to the questions on the beverages. We had 2 bottles of rum in the checked suitcase. No problem. We bought liquor in each and every port and had no issues at all. As sometime when we have come on a cruise they keep the wine or liquor for the end of the cruise. Not the case. They let any thing bought locally go thru. We had great wines with dinner and in the cabin. We bought local beer in Greece and there was no issue and the couple that we were with bought a case of bottled water and they even delivered to their cabin as it was heavy. Everything went smooth. They disembark everyone very quickly. We were on private tours and did not have to wait for the carnival tours to go first. This was the smoothest run ship. We were almost late for the ship twice and still no issues. I even left my cc in Greece and the store delivered it to the ship. Once again except for the rudeness of the internet manager it was perfect.

Word of advise though if you are connecting thru LOndon no matter what airline make sure you only have one carry on.

Janet

This is in response to the questions on the beverages. We had 2 bottles of rum in the checked suitcase. No problem. We bought liquor in each and every port and had no issues at all. As sometime when we have come on a cruise they keep the wine or liquor for the end of the cruise. Not the case. They let any thing bought locally go thru. We had great wines with dinner and in the cabin. We bought local beer in Greece and there was no issue and the couple that we were with bought a case of bottled water and they even delivered to their cabin as it was heavy. Everything went smooth. They disembark everyone very quickly. We were on private tours and did not have to wait for the carnival tours to go first. This was the smoothest run ship. We were almost late for the ship twice and still no issues. I even left my cc in Greece and the store delivered it to the ship. Once again except for the rudeness of the internet manager it was perfect

Thanks so much Janet, Vicky and OKteach for the info re beverages. It sounds like carnival have really relaxed their policy now..hope it continues for us!!

Another question - do you think it's not even worth bothering with the internet on the ship??

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Cheers

Amanda:)

Even though I did the inaugural cruise on the Freedom still like to get the reports from the ship and the reviews. :)

Have to apologize for being selfish and wanting to get more reports from the ship. I thought back to the inaugural and realized I never even found the computer room until our only sea day and that was only two days before we disembarked. The days are so packed and exhausting and WONDERFUL, computers never even entered my head.

Thank you everyone that reports back here it is truly appreciated. :)

Val.

Canada.

Well, I in reagards to the internet, I read in 2 emails and it took 12 minutes. At 75 cents per minute plus a 4.oo connect charge. I used one other time to respond to an important email. Was on for a bout 4 minutes. it is ok for emergency but I would suggest disconnecting and enjoy the vacation. It is gone and over very quickly.

Thank you so much raynvic and jkeller527. Your postings have been extremely helpful. I am going to be on the June 30th cruise. Can't wait and I am sure glad I will be able to get some limoncello on board without a hassle. :cool: My husband and I will have to make sure our cell phones work well over there (in case of emergency) Sounds like the internet can be frustrating.

Hearing how slow the internet connection is on the ship (and we all know how expensive it is per minute -- aaaaack!), is disappointing, but good info to have, nonetheless.

Perhaps that is why the fellow that started this thread used internet cafes when he could!

It's a shame, really, that the ship charges for it's WiFi connection...I can see charging for use of the ship's computers, but when someone is using their own equipment, I honestly do not see why they have to charge..or at least charge SO MUCH.

It's a shame, really, that the ship charges for it's WiFi connection...I can see charging for use of the ship's computers, but when someone is using their own equipment, I honestly do not see why they have to charge..or at least charge SO MUCH.

The ship is more than likely utilizing a satellite connection via INMARSAT (International Maritime Satellite Organization) to connect you to the internet via one of their coastal earth stations. I'm not sure how much bandwidth the ship is leasing but it would be fair to say that other ship functions are using that bandwidth (i.e. the fore and aft web cams) along with navigation and weather so when someone is using the internet cafe onboard they are only being alloted a portion of the total bandwidth thus which could explain the slow connection speeds being experience by the folks utilizing this link. As for someone using their own equipment, they still need to connect to the internet and Carnival is providing that via their satellite link and if I recall, a few years ago, INMARSAT was charging about $8 a minute for a phone call which requires a bandwidth of about 10Khz for voice-grade quality and you can check out what Carnival charges to make a phone call while at sea and its comprable in price. Old dial-up speeds via a phone modem topped off at about 56Kbps and the speeds being experience now are probably slower then that. My suggestion to those that need to use the on-board link would to turn off your graphics and go into text mode which would speed up reading your e-mails and such.

And yes, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night:D

And yes, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night:D

happy001.gif

Do you think it would be any better if someone tried to use the WiFi either late at night or early morning, when maybe there weren't so many other people using the bandwidth?

Hello

Two things, I used it late at night and didnt make a difference. The manager explained just what Sitkagal said and that they pay oodles of money so that the access is there. The internet cafes were just harder to find because you are on tour and get back just in time to catch the ship. The cell phones worked fine as I did have an emergency at home and that was the best way to communicate.

Now on a different note having said all of this if there is any one on the Freedom now, We left 2 rings in the safe. If there is anyone who could check the lost and found if they are totally bored.LOL. Tried calling the ship with no luck. We were in 2214. I will pay for the internet time if any one responds.

janet

Tonight the wifi is working much faster, probably because the 1st seating is over and the show for first seating is over and tomorrow is an earlier day. Yesterday morning, it was very slow. I am writing this from my room, not the Web room downstairs. Here is my next installment.

Sunday 4/22 Rhodes - I wrote the day of the week on this because we are all having difficulty keeping track of what day of the week it is. The past Guests party is tomorrow. We took the Walking Tour of Rhodes and the Grand Masters. I was regretting booking this as it can be done on your own so easily. But the tour was worth it because the guide had so information to offer. It was nice to hear the history of Rhodes along with the Street of the Knights and the Palace of the Grand Masters if you have no idea about some of the history in this part of the world. After the tour, the guide leaves you at the “top” of the main shopping street and you work your way straight back down the street to the city entrance and you can see the ship from there to get back. We bought Olive products like soap and body lotion, tasted Ouzo, and hit the ATM. It might be helpful to figure out what your ATM limit is in Euros as it took me 3 times to select the amount of Euros that was equal to my dollar limit. Tomorrow is Izmir. Hightlights of today: The whole city of Rhodes, plenty to do here without going to Lindos if you might come more than once.

Ray

Glad to hear that you are having better luck with the wifi. I hate to ask but if you see this can you check with the pursser to see if there were rings left in the safe 2214. I have called the ship but keep getting disconnected. Thanks if you cant It is such a great cruise that who wants to do anything else. We were so tired at the end of the day, but a good tired.

Janet

Janet, sorry to hear that you left 2 rings behind. Call Carnival's HQ in Miami perhaps they can help you locate your rings. From what I understand they immediately send the items that are found in the cabins after they are vacated to Miami. Good luck.

Does anyone on board know it the Freedom has Verizon wireless service? I know the other ships in Carnivals fleet all have this service but being a new ship and in the Med. I have not been able to get an answer to this. Just worried about emergency contacts.

Thanks, Jim

Does anyone on board know it the Freedom has Verizon wireless service? I know the other ships in Carnivals fleet all have this service but being a new ship and in the Med. I have not been able to get an answer to this. Just worried about emergency contacts.

Thanks, Jim

We were on the April 7th sailing and used our verizon cell phone with no problems while the ship was at sea. I've looked at our verizon bill on-line and it's $2.49 a minute (as advertised).

it is about 2am there right now so 50 degrees is just about right. The cam temp from what I can tell was always correct. The temps are very close to the US at this time of year, It warms up nice during the day, We were in spring clothes the entire time,

Just curious. If you have to disembark real early (I have heard as early as 6am) is the buffet open for breakfast (at least coffee and tea)?

Linda

The buffet was open at 5:00 AM and the dining room was open from 6:00-8:00. Actually, we had people disembarking as early as 3:30 for a 6:30 flight.

The muster was right after sail time and they had the dinner times alterted for that night to fit it. Would not advise trying to fit the meet and greet in. Would do earlier as with Muster and dinner we totally had ours messed up, or do the next day.

Archived