Fantasy Only Questions ...

canner2u

Okay we just went in July. We found the disembarkment the worst part of the whole cruise. We also drove but wanted to self- disembark. The crowds were worse then anything I can describe. I would recommend going for a nice breakfast and leisurely leaving later. They were only able to call one floor. The crowds were so bad that they did not call any other while we were on for over an hour. They do not search bags unless a reason I noticed while going through customs that the luggage that was not carried out by owners were in a section and dogs were their sniffing for drugs maybe?

I have a question about the crowds being so bad that floors were not called....... Since you were self-disembarking -- was that the rush and crowd problem??

We will NOT be doing it the "self" way -- and wait for our floor to be called - just trying to clarify what the problem might have been.

Thanks for the heads up -- I think we WILL take our time with breakfast....

I have a question about the crowds being so bad that floors were not called....... Since you were self-disembarking -- was that the rush and crowd problem??

We will NOT be doing it the "self" way -- and wait for our floor to be called - just trying to clarify what the problem might have been.

Thanks for the heads up -- I think we WILL take our time with breakfast....

What is happening is that people are not listening. They will all try to be the first off which clogs up the halls even though they are not on the deck being called. Usually the Empress Deck is called first as that is the deck where the gangway is attached. (Customs can call any deck they want first)

Dave

What is happening is that people are not listening. They will all try to be the first off which clogs up the halls even though they are not on the deck being called. Usually the Empress Deck is called first as that is the deck where the gangway is attached. (Customs can call any deck they want first)

Dave

Thanks, Dave, yes, in any situation, when folks do not listen it usually makes for more problems! I appreciate your input....also knowing where the gangway is located.

Nuther question...... where is the "piano bar"? It probably has another name but I could not figure it out from the deck plans I was looking at. I had read the afternoon tea is served there and in the Cleopatra Bar -- are these the one and the same? Is that a daily occurrence or just a few times while on board?

Also - -since I have never cruised with Carnival I am not familiar with the spa area -- on some of the other ships I've been on there is a nice area with lounges for adults only in or near the spa -- one can sit there and read and look out over the ocean - just a nice quiet spot.....is there such an area on the Fantasy? and speaking of the spa area -- are there any facilities that are free to use -- such as the showers or a hot tub?

It does not appear to me that any of the lower decks have a walking "track" around the entire deck -- just the jogging track high upstairs -- where do most go for their "daily" walk - I am sure someone enjoys walking outside in the fresh air and not just on a treadmill ???

and one more for now......... what deck is the "muster drill" held on?

I am sure I will come up with more questions -- thank you all for your willingness to share your knowledge!

Thanks, Dave, yes, in any situation, when folks do not listen it usually makes for more problems! I appreciate your input....also knowing where the gangway is located.

Nuther question...... where is the "piano bar"? It probably has another name but I could not figure it out from the deck plans I was looking at. I had read the afternoon tea is served there and in the Cleopatra Bar -- are these the one and the same? Is that a daily occurrence or just a few times while on board?

It is the same place, it is located on Deck 8 in the Atrium. Tea I believe is just a couple of times. They will have it listed in the Capers.

Also - -since I have never cruised with Carnival I am not familiar with the spa area -- on some of the other ships I've been on there is a nice area with lounges for adults only in or near the spa -- one can sit there and read and look out over the ocean - just a nice quiet spot.....is there such an area on the Fantasy? and speaking of the spa area -- are there any facilities that are free to use -- such as the showers or a hot tub?

I have yet to use the spa on any of the ships I have been on. I do know if you go out of the Forum lounge on the rear of the ship, you can take a set of stairs down to deck 8. Very few people go to this area.

It does not appear to me that any of the lower decks have a walking "track" around the entire deck -- just the jogging track high upstairs -- where do most go for their "daily" walk - I am sure someone enjoys walking outside in the fresh air and not just on a treadmill ???

The jogging track is it. You could walk around most of the ship on the outside on Deck 11.

All over the ship depending on your cabin assigment. Each room is assigned a LETTER. You will look on the back of you room door and it will tell you where Muster Station A, B, C, D, E, F is located depending on what you are assigned. Most are on Deck 9 with the exception of the Universe Lounge which is Deck 8 and 9. After everyone has gathered, they will demonstrate how to put on the life vest. Once the signal is given, they will then take you to where the lifeboats are located.

I am sure I will come up with more questions -- thank you all for your willingness to share your knowledge!

Dave

I'll answer your spa question. You can use the steam room, sauna, and hot tubs for free. There is a mens and woman's side and each have a changing area, showers and steam and sauna. Then you can pass through a door to the co-ed hot tubs. I'm usually the only one in the steam room because I believe most people think all the spa area has a fee.

Do they have water in the pool when you embark in New Orleans? I have never been on a cruise when the pool was open right away; but I think I have read that someone said that they got onboard and was happy that they had brought their swimsuit in their carry on because they were able to enjoy the pool right away. I am asking for my kids who will be with me in less than two weeks on the Fantasy.

Thanks.

I've never seen water in the pools when boarding. They would have to fill it with water from the river which would be pretty nasty. Maybe it was the time of year we cruised but there was no water in February, April or May this year.

The only time I've seen water in the pools on embarkation in New Orleans was on Royal Caribbean. I think they filled it with fresh water that day and it was December!

I've never seen water in the pools when boarding. They would have to fill it with water from the river which would be pretty nasty. Maybe it was the time of year we cruised but there was no water in February, April or May this year.

The only time I've seen water in the pools on embarkation in New Orleans was on Royal Caribbean. I think they filled it with fresh water that day and it was December!

Thanks, that is what I was thinking as well, I have never seen it...but I swear I thought I read about that somewhere...lol...but after all of the many threads that I have read, I could possibly be confusing something.

Me, too; I know I've read to bring your bathing suit in your carry on; why would you do that if you're not "pooling?" That may give me room for something different in my carry on (no suit/cover up/shoes/sunscreen...) Just when I thought I had it all figured out... :)

Me, too; I know I've read to bring your bathing suit in your carry on; why would you do that if you're not "pooling?" :)

A lot of people take their swim suits and sit in the loungers on deck in the sun but they're not pooling. One thing I forgot to mention before is that there IS water in the kiddie pool. It's only 1 ft of water but it's there for the kids to use before sailing.

Once in February, we were freezing when we got on board and had on jeans and sweatshirts/jackets. We sat down in the sun on deck to warm up and I looked over and saw a lady in a bikini. I was dying to ask her what part of the NORTH she was from! :eek: It was something like a balmy 50 degrees! So, just because you read that people bring a bathing suit....they aren't using a pool and they are sometimes nuts. LOL

I just found this thread and it made me excited! We are getting married on the Fantasy on 2/9/08. It was the cheapest option for my guests so I chose it, but I was so worried because it is an older ship. After reading this whole thread, I am excited! Has anyone on here seen a wedding aboard the Fantasy??

I just found this thread and it made me excited! We are getting married on the Fantasy on 2/9/08. It was the cheapest option for my guests so I chose it, but I was so worried because it is an older ship. After reading this whole thread, I am excited! Has anyone on here seen a wedding aboard the Fantasy??

I haven't seen any weddings on the Fantasy, but I wanted to say I think the Fantasy is a LOVELY ship to get married on.

There was a couple on our last cruise who got married in Cozumel - the whole wedding party was on our tender and they were all so cute and happy. I hope you have a wonderful wedding and enjoy the cruise.

Most of the weddings occur while the passengers are being held in the terminal. This makes it easier to get the non-sailing guests off the ship. Congrats on your upcoming wedding and marriage.

Dave

Thank you!

Yes, we were going to do it in Cozumel but I felt bad. I want my guests to be able to enjoy and explore the island, not sit at my wedding LOL. So we are going to do it the first day and then the relax the rest of the trip! We are allowed to board at 10am so that's good!

In the carnival secrets thread I went through it months ago and copied everything that seemed interesting to me to my own document (at the time I was sailing on the Conquest though). Well, I was just paring through it and came across this quote:

They will have a few recent movies playing several times a day on the TV in your cabins though. On our October cruise we saw "The Devil wears Prada" numerous times. On my Elation cruise we saw "Man of the House". They usually show a movie on a big screen in one of the bars during the day.

Is this true for the Fantasy?

Leaving in just a few days now!

In the carnival secrets thread I went through it months ago and copied everything that seemed interesting to me to my own document (at the time I was sailing on the Conquest though). Well, I was just paring through it and came across this quote:

Is this true for the Fantasy?

Leaving in just a few days now!

You will have the latest run movies on the TV in your room. There is a menu screen on the TV for the movie schedule. I have not seen a movie played in any of the bars.

Dave

I haven't seen any weddings on the Fantasy, but I wanted to say I think the Fantasy is a LOVELY ship to get married on.

There was a couple on our last cruise who got married in Cozumel - the whole wedding party was on our tender and they were all so cute and happy. I hope you have a wonderful wedding and enjoy the cruise.

Back home...had a blast!! Papa Smurf is a HOOT! Tara (Club O2 director) was the best one we have ever had!!!!

There was a wedding on our cruise. They boarded just minutes before we (VIP) did. They had the wedding in the Forum Lounge and the Reception in the Disco. All "non sailing guests" attending the wedding wore clip on Port tags. They ate in the Lido area while they waited for the Bride and Groom to change into their wedding attire. Then we saw the Bridal party and guests headed for the Forum Lounge for the service.

Hey Rowan....we are now official members of the "hole in the fence" club. I have pictures that I will post as soon as I get them!!

Back home...had a blast!! Papa Smurf is a HOOT! Tara (Club O2 director) was the best one we have ever had!!!!

There was a wedding on our cruise. They boarded just minutes before we (VIP) did. They had the wedding in the Forum Lounge and the Reception in the Disco. All "non sailing guests" attending the wedding wore clip on Port tags. They ate in the Lido area while they waited for the Bride and Groom to change into their wedding attire. Then we saw the Bridal party and guests headed for the Forum Lounge for the service.

Hey Rowan....we are now official members of the "hole in the fence" club. I have pictures that I will post as soon as I get them!!

I'm so glad you guys had a good time, and finished your trip before any major storms passed through!

I can't wait to see your hole in the fence photos!!! Please let me know how HOT it was in Costa Maya and how tough the walk was. I'm wondering if we should go to ChaChis next month, or perhaps wait and go in December when it might be a bit cooler. My kids are big-time whiners when it's hot outside, and I'm thinking that walk to ChaChis might kill them (or perhaps cause ME to kill them lol).

Welcome back and glad to hear you had a good time.

I'm so glad you guys had a good time, and finished your trip before any major storms passed through!

I can't wait to see your hole in the fence photos!!! Please let me know how HOT it was in Costa Maya and how tough the walk was. I'm wondering if we should go to ChaChis next month, or perhaps wait and go in December when it might be a bit cooler. My kids are big-time whiners when it's hot outside, and I'm thinking that walk to ChaChis might kill them (or perhaps cause ME to kill them lol).

This was one HOT cruise. However, if you follow the map that was posted on the Net and use the second hole, it is a very nice shaded walk to Chac-Chi. There is a good size road, so you are not walking through "brush". It is a very short walk once you get "through the hole". You literally see the backgate of Chac-Chi almost as soon as you go through the hole, if you use the second hole. While it was VERY hot the day we were there, we were comfortable in the shade sipping a cool one. They have a HUGE covered area where the kitchen and bar are.

Another option is to rent the a golf cart. They are $35 for 2 hours. But to us the walk was not bad at all. It is bascially one good size block from the guard gate. You turn right and walk about a block and then go through the fence and the rest of the walk (about a block) is shaded.

BTW, Carnival is using a different debark method. You have to take your "colored" tags off and put on NUMBERED tags when you leave. They have your luggage in NUMBERED areas with VIP being Number 1. This cruise was the first time we experience that. So something new for us "oldbies"!!

Yes, "irons", and I am not talking golf here. Every sailing the ship confiscates about two to four irons from the guests cabins. You have been told NOT to bring them, but some people don't read or listen to this advice. Oh, Yes, you DO get them back. They are waiting in the luggage claim area when you get off the ship, along with all the other items confiscated during the voyage.

PS. It was nice to see LHP and family again.:)

Yes, "irons", and I am not talking golf here. Every sailing the ship confiscates about two to four irons from the guests cabins. You have been told NOT to bring them, but some people don't read or listen to this advice. Oh, Yes, you DO get them back. They are waiting in the luggage claim area when you get off the ship, along with all the other items confiscated during the voyage.

PS. It was nice to see LHP and family again.:)

Hey Robert,

I will see you in a month on Sept 17th. It will be me and my Mom. And then you will get to meet the entire family on Oct 11th.

Dave

BTW, Carnival is using a different debark method. You have to take your "colored" tags off and put on NUMBERED tags when you leave. They have your luggage in NUMBERED areas with VIP being Number 1. This cruise was the first time we experience that. So something new for us "oldbies"!!

Is this also for self assist? It was a nightmare last year b/c no one was leaving according to decks - they were all piling into the lobby at the same time. I would LOVE to do self assist debarkation by number. My dh has to get to work the morning we get home, so an orderly debarkation would be a blessing.

Is this also for self assist? It was a nightmare last year b/c no one was leaving according to decks - they were all piling into the lobby at the same time. I would LOVE to do self assist debarkation by number. My dh has to get to work the morning we get home, so an orderly debarkation would be a blessing.

No... the self assist is still on the "honor system". We had some "honest" people on our cruise, because the self assist went very well. BigTex did call one floor at a time from Veranda on down for the self assist. I think it just depends on how many honest people you have and how many are using it.

I really think Carnival got shocked at how many people were willing to carry their own stuff off.

Of course, New Orleans backs up because it is not like the good ole days when you just handed someone your customs form as you walked out of the warehouse. Now, you have to be interviewed by an agent and have your passport run through the computer. All that extra stuff takes time.

They started the self assist at 7AM on our cruise and when the VIP were escorted off the ship at 8:30am...we basically walked right to our luggage with one short (30 second) period of standing in line. Once we got our luggage, the porter had us through Customs and to our car in 5 minutes or less.

Archived