Fantasy Only Questions ...

canner2u

Gaynell- I think the food is very good in the dining rooms. You might consider having breakfast in the Celebration dining room for such items such as Eggs Benedict. Lunch is also quite good in the Celebration dining room. At the Windows of the Sea, I enjoy the reuben sandwiches and out by the pool, the burgers and hot dogs. They do have tabasco but you need to bring your own Tony's... The gumbo they serve is not good but as you know, nothing is as good as Louisiana food.

Remember- if for some reason you don't like something, you can always order something else. If you can't decide between lobster and prime rib on formal night, get both! There are also midnight buffets, pub crawls and the grand buffet in the Celebration dining room, and the poolside buffets and late night parties.

Have a great cruise!

David thank you so much for your response. i'm really going to try to keep and open mind about the food as i've really gotten use to doing that living in the memphis area so long now. thats why every time i come i eat like a mad woman trying to eat all the things i miss having on a daily basis. i'm lucky and get to come home a lot so i do at least get my fix a bunch of times a year. time is going by sooooo slooooowly lol i'm ready to leave today :D

The food in the dining room has been really hit and miss lately. It is all beautifully presented and it comes out warm but there is just something seriously lacking. The appetizers were great as always- try the asparagus soup, chicken in peanut butter sauce and the stuffed mushrooms. They are great! The salads- I usually stick with the caesar but the greek salad was quite good this past cruise. As far as entrees go-- I found that the beef dishes were hits, the chicken dishes(my usual choice) were not up to par and anything seafood related (lobster, shrimp, fish, etc) were quite a disappointment. Moral of the story? Stick with beef and you are good to go!

The buffet on lido has actually gotten slightly better. However, thats not saying much---there really was only way to go as far as that goes:p Try the deli--the turkey sandwiches are my fav! If all else fails, there is always the burgers/hotdogs/fries out by the pool!

Happy sailing!

i'm sure i will be ok with the food. i am more excited about the cruise experience itself. was just wondering about the food cause i have been reading a lot of conflicting tales on the food. honestly i value someone from the areas opinion even though everyone in La doesnt have the same taste we do still know good basic food when we eat it.

i see your profile says your from slidell. thats where i'm from. born in covington haha only cause it was the only hospital then but grew up in slidell. my mom now lives in Lacombe and she works for the Slidell PD. were coming down that weekend before the cruise and i can't wait to get a po boy or two haha well maybe one before and one after the cruise. are you originally from slidell? there are SOOO many people there anymore its crazy to get around town. anyway thanks for your input its greatly appreciated.

I've read alot about what people do if they arrive a day before the cruise. However, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things we might want to see or do that may be a bit more off the beaten path as we'll be there both the Saturday and Sunday before our Monday departure on the Fantasy. When we travel we really enjoy getting to know the local flavor of an area and we are pretty much open up to anything!

We'll have a car and will be staying at the Marriott at the Convetion Center (the room and parking is free from all the "points" I've earned doing some much business travel this year).

I look forward to your recommendations!

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things we might want to see or do that may be a bit more off the beaten path as we'll be there both the Saturday and Sunday before our Monday departure on the Fantasy.

Something out of the ordinary that I love to do is to go to Metairie Cemetery. I know it sounds morbid but there are 2 or 3 tours you can take and learn about various monuments there. You go to the office there and you can check out a tape player and pick a tour, grab a map and get in your car. The tape has turn by turn directions and historical highlights about what you are viewing. It is easy to get to and beautiful there. So unique, even in an area that makes a lot of tourist dollars off other cemeteries!

I always enjoy the touristy things and I think they became that way for good reason! LOL Also a don't miss is Café Du Monde. Great beignets, but also something you find the locals do. Oh, and a muffaletta from Central Grocery is a great treat!

Regarding food on the ship...I live in Lafayette and often find myself disappointed in much of the food in NOLA. No offense! I have learned that gumbo in my part of the state is more authentic. NOLA has a lot of Creole food and that is just different from what my mom and them cook! LOL

Anyway, having recently spent 10 days on Fantasy, I will just tell you my opinion. Make of it what you will...I found that the waitstaff know what is good on any particular night. It was pretty consistent during both my sailings and I thoroughly enjoyed the dining room. One of my worst meals happened to be when I ordered steak! But I have had great beef on Carnival. Must have been an off night. Only missed dinner once! Many of the desserts are fabulous but the salad selection bored me to tears so I would order two appetizers or whatever.

When you read about others complaints here, keep in mind that personal tastes differ wildly and no, do NOT get gumbo on the ship, but get what you think you'll like without fear. The waitstaff will replace it if you aren't happy! And I do recommend the deli sandwiches. And some of the room service sandwiches are really good too! And I loved the shrimp cocktails! The lobster was really good on both my sailings. Somehow they managed to get it done right those nights.

Go with a good attitude, an open mind and the spirit of adventure and you are going to have an awesome time! I am jealous! I would do 10 days on Fantasy again in a heartbeat! I wasn't ready to leave when the second sailing was done!

Something out of the ordinary that I love to do is to go to Metairie Cemetery. I know it sounds morbid but there are 2 or 3 tours you can take and learn about various monuments there. You go to the office there and you can check out a tape player and pick a tour, grab a map and get in your car. The tape has turn by turn directions and historical highlights about what you are viewing. It is easy to get to and beautiful there. So unique, even in an area that makes a lot of tourist dollars off other cemeteries!

I always enjoy the touristy things and I think they became that way for good reason! LOL Also a don't miss is Café Du Monde. Great beignets, but also something you find the locals do. Oh, and a muffaletta from Central Grocery is a great treat!

Regarding food on the ship...I live in Lafayette and often find myself disappointed in much of the food in NOLA. No offense! I have learned that gumbo in my part of the state is more authentic. NOLA has a lot of Creole food and that is just different from what my mom and them cook! LOL

Anyway, having recently spent 10 days on Fantasy, I will just tell you my opinion. Make of it what you will...I found that the waitstaff know what is good on any particular night. It was pretty consistent during both my sailings and I thoroughly enjoyed the dining room. One of my worst meals happened to be when I ordered steak! But I have had great beef on Carnival. Must have been an off night. Only missed dinner once! Many of the desserts are fabulous but the salad selection bored me to tears so I would order two appetizers or whatever.

When you read about others complaints here, keep in mind that personal tastes differ wildly and no, do NOT get gumbo on the ship, but get what you think you'll like without fear. The waitstaff will replace it if you aren't happy! And I do recommend the deli sandwiches. And some of the room service sandwiches are really good too! And I loved the shrimp cocktails! The lobster was really good on both my sailings. Somehow they managed to get it done right those nights.

Go with a good attitude, an open mind and the spirit of adventure and you are going to have an awesome time! I am jealous! I would do 10 days on Fantasy again in a heartbeat! I wasn't ready to leave when the second sailing was done!

Thanks for your comments. What we are all trying to say is that "A bad day at sea is better than a great day at work!"

Just a heads up (since all I eat is beef)....the beef fare is usually fine...except the New York Strip. For some reason, it is always (and when I say always ~ on the dozen or so different Carnival ships I have eaten it on) tough.

Obviously I still get it on the night it is the only beef fare...because all I eat is beef. And that is usually the first night and I worry about it "scaring folks off" from the rest of their beef offerings..which are usually just fine.

LOVE the soups. Just love them. The Fantasy, especially, had really good soups!!!

The soups are unbelievably good! The West Indian Roasted Pumpkin Soup on formal night, the Strawberry Bisque, the Mango Cream Soup with ginger, Caribbean Pot soup and French Onion are my favorites.

Just got off the ship on Monday. On the food - I have to say in my opinon its just ok - but hey, who cares - you are on a cruise!!! Its always available, theres lots of it, and its hot! Breakfast on Lido - have an omelet made to order, deli has really good tuna and unbelievable grilled cheese, pizza place does a nice caeser with chicken and if you don't like what you ordered at dinner order something else. The staff is unbelievably accommodating.

For something different in NO we used a tour company to take us to a plantation. It was very interesting. Have fun!

We are departing on Saturday (17th) and arrive into New Orleans early that morning--8:30AM! We would like to take our kids around New Orleans before getting on the ship. Will they allow us to check our luggage in that early? Has anyone done this and left there luggage somewhere if they don't?

They start accepting checked luggage at 9:00 AM. Doors open at 10:30 for check-in. Start boarding around 11:30.

Cat 11, V1-V6 DO have a stairway right below and thus provides little privacy. As "they" walk UP the starway they can look right into your cabin. Sorry, about that. :rolleyes:

They start accepting checked luggage at 9:00 AM. Doors open at 10:30 for check-in. Start boarding around 11:30.

Cat 11, V1-V6 DO have a stairway right below and thus provides little privacy. As "they" walk UP the starway they can look right into your cabin. Sorry, about that. :rolleyes:

Welcome back from your Freedom Europe tour and transaltantic!!

Hope you had a wonderful time!!!

We did something kind of cool when we got off the Fantasy on Monday. We had hours to spare so we tipped a porter to take our bags over to the booth outside the ship for a company called "Rush It" You pay them per bag and they take your bags to the airport for you. They'll even arrange transpo to the French Quarter but a cab will do just as well. When you get to the airport they have an office where you pick up your bags.

We did something kind of cool when we got off the Fantasy on Monday. We had hours to spare so we tipped a porter to take our bags over to the booth outside the ship for a company called "Rush It" You pay them per bag and they take your bags to the airport for you. They'll even arrange transpo to the French Quarter but a cab will do just as well. When you get to the airport they have an office where you pick up your bags.

That's a good idea. Many folks have a whole day at ports before their flight leaves and do not want to sit in an airport, but can't go anywhere because of the luggage. Someone has "seen the need" and filled it. Good ole American Ingenuity at it's best!!!!

I've read alot about what people do if they arrive a day before the cruise. However, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things we might want to see or do that may be a bit more off the beaten path as we'll be there both the Saturday and Sunday before our Monday departure on the Fantasy. When we travel we really enjoy getting to know the local flavor of an area and we are pretty much open up to anything!

We'll have a car and will be staying at the Marriott at the Convetion Center (the room and parking is free from all the "points" I've earned doing some much business travel this year).

I look forward to your recommendations!

You could also do a plantation tour. There are several in the area and are worth the visit.

:cool:

We were in E102. We had three cabins in all and we all agreed that the location was great - mid ship so not very much movement and you are right around the corner from the main lobby. Nice bar there for meeting up with people. Down one level to dinner, up a few to Lido - all very convenient - have fun!

we ate at deanie's seafood while we were down there and it was awesome. im talking TON of food. you could actually share the meal. they give you boiled new potatoes instead of rolls. neat! my son loved it.

i have done the Dday museum and it was very interesting.

this is one of our favorite places to eat and YES the plates are huge. honestly my husband and i always she a seafood platter for one cause the one that is for two people is just waaaay to much food. we also love to eat at R & O's which is right around the corner from Deanie's. it faces the lake. when i go i've got to have their gumbo its insanely good, its one of the best..well it had been everytime i've been there but i'm sure they have off days just like any other place.

http://secure.deanies.com/

How much is a taxi from the port to the airport?

My friend is picking us up at the airport when we come into NOLA.

If I am remember correctly we have a later flight out after our cruise, if we wanted to do something for a couple of hours what would be fun? Please keep in mine we will be flying into NOLA 2 day early and staying with friends. I am sure we will do the French Quarter so that is probably not something we will want to do again with only 2hours or so.

I'll answer your spa question. You can use the steam room, sauna, and hot tubs for free. There is a mens and woman's side and each have a changing area, showers and steam and sauna. Then you can pass through a door to the co-ed hot tubs. I'm usually the only one in the steam room because I believe most people think all the spa area has a fee.

Are you saying there are hot tubs in the spa? Are the only hot tubs they have on the Fantasy in the Spa? I have read that sometimes the hot tubs and the slide are not opened. Is this true? We are going for NYE. Will nothing be opened with water on our cruise?

How much is a taxi from the port to the airport?

My friend is picking us up at the airport when we come into NOLA.

If I am remember correctly we have a later flight out after our cruise, if we wanted to do something for a couple of hours what would be fun? Please keep in mine we will be flying into NOLA 2 day early and staying with friends. I am sure we will do the French Quarter so that is probably not something we will want to do again with only 2hours or so.

Taxis have a flat fee from FQ or cruise terminal to the airport. It's $28 for one person or two plus a $1 fuel surcharge.

With only two hours in Nola on your return, Cafe du Monde is a good place to go & enjoy the morning.

I am not sure exactly what we will do after debarkment. I want to keep my options open. Who knows we might take it easy and leave late from the ship then head on to the airport.

Are there any decent places to eat in the airport? I know in large airports they have some nice chain restaruants.

Is there in places within walking distances of the port to visit? Or will we need to take a taxi where ever we go?

The riverwalk is near the port (it's a little mall) has places to eat. There is also the aquarium and french quarter (further down) which might require a taxi or streetcar.

If you click on the different concourses, it will tell you what there is to eat within the airport

http://www.flymsy.com/airport_facilities.htm

I know there is a Denny's across the road.

Archived