NCL Star - Itinerary change and ship shore excursions

adams.580

Since the Star is having engine trouble and is replacing Acapulco and Zihau with Manzanillo and Mazatlan, what will happen with ship offered shore excursions? Since the Star doesn't normally go to these ports, will NCL offer shore excursions there?

Also, I have already reserved an Outdoor Adventures zip line tour for PV. If our itinerary gets changed and we go to PV on a different day, does anybody know if NCL will automatically rebook our shore excursions for the new day?

Regardless of where we go, I am just looking forward to cruising. But I would like to be prepared to enjoy each port to the fullest!

Thanks for any help!:)

Since the Star is having engine trouble and is replacing Acapulco and Zihau with Manzanillo and Mazatlan, what will happen with ship offered shore excursions? Since the Star doesn't normally go to these ports, will NCL offer shore excursions there?

Also, I have already reserved an Outdoor Adventures zip line tour for PV. If our itinerary gets changed and we go to PV on a different day, does anybody know if NCL will automatically rebook our shore excursions for the new day?

Regardless of where we go, I am just looking forward to cruising. But I would like to be prepared to enjoy each port to the fullest!

Thanks for any help!:)

What sailing are you on? Have you been notified by NCL of this change? Just curious as there are many of us who are anxiously awaiting. Thanks!

I am on the 4/7 sailing, and I have not gotten any official word through NCL of the change - I first heard of it on these boards! So I emailed my TA, and she confirmed that sailings were being changed. She told me to count on being rerouted to the new ports, but added that was just the word going around. So she doesn't know for sure yet either. :)

Adam

glad to see another traveler with us.

Concerned as to the port changes - I only booked 1 excursion, and that was for my kids to have a Dolphin encounter - I guess I can rebook elsewhere...

Any Idea what's up? :confused:

Emails my TA just now - waiting on a response. Called NCL last week - they said only the current cruise was having changes.

Guess it's just a waiting game:o

Hi,

Yes I just heard about the situation with the Star. Typically, when

something like this happens, the immediate sailings will be affected on

some level, and the ship is serviced asap. So, the likelyhood that it

will effect your sailing is minimal. If it changes your sailing in any

way, I will be contacted closer to sail date and will let you know.

Thanks.

Excursions - We were on the Star the last time she had engine problems, yes they will offer tours in ixtapa. If you have an excursion set up by the ship, you will have no problems in haivng the reservation changed. Now if you have an excursion by an outside source and you paid by credit card already, you might be out of luck. I have heard this from others. One was in Alaska, they booked a fly over by another outfit and missed their stop due to mechanical problems and were charged for their trip. big bucks. :)

Excursions - We were on the Star the last time she had engine problems, yes they will offer tours in ixtapa. If you have an excursion set up by the ship, you will have no problems in haivng the reservation changed. Now if you have an excursion by an outside source and you paid by credit card already, you might be out of luck. I have heard this from others. One was in Alaska, they booked a fly over by another outfit and missed their stop due to mechanical problems and were charged for their trip. big bucks. :)

If anyone does book other than thru the ship, you should make sure that you will not be charged if the ship can not make the port call. Get something in writing from the tour operator. :eek:

Hi,

Yes I just heard about the situation with the Star. Typically, when

something like this happens, the immediate sailings will be affected on

some level, and the ship is serviced asap. So, the likelyhood that it

will effect your sailing is minimal. If it changes your sailing in any

way, I will be contacted closer to sail date and will let you know.

Thanks.

Well, I'm not so sure about it being serviced asap. Last year, the Star sailed many, many weeks with a revised itinerary and then they scheduled a dry dock to fix the problem. If a drydock is needed, I would guess that the timing is determined by availability of dock space and then a cruise or two could be cancelled.

Just called TA at NCL, she informed me that when the Star gets back to Port in Long Beach on March 14th, she will not sail again until March 22nd departure. Time in port is needed for replacement of part. So, one entire 8 day sailing is forefeited.

Hi, I'm also sailing on NCL on the Star on 4/7. I sure hope we don't get cancelled! I have heard about the port changes on the board and because we had a similar experience with the NCL Dream last year (because of hurricane damage water levels weren't high enough for cruise ships to dock - or something like that, we missed stopping at Cancun. No big deal as we have been there several times.), I'm preparing for port changes. I don't mind these changes because I've been on the boards and have heard the substituted ports are just as nice, if not better, than the ports are are supposed to stop at. I just want to cruise on 4/7 as that is my DH's spring break and he asked for this cruise, and is very excited about it. I hope they can fix things a.s.a.p. Does anyone know what happens if they have to cancel a cruise? Do they try to get you on another one that is leaving at the same time? Probably not, right? Oh well, I'll just keep praying we don't get cancelled.:D Does anyone know, if they do cancel, how long it takes to get your money back? Do they compensate you for the loss of the cruise in any way? Thanks to anyone that can offer any info.

Just called TA at NCL, she informed me that when the Star gets back to Port in Long Beach on March 14th, she will not sail again until March 22nd departure. Time in port is needed for replacement of part. So, one entire 8 day sailing is forefeited.

Well, I tried calling NCL as well, and as expected, no one I spoke to could confirm ANYTHING. :rolleyes:

If they truly are canceling the March 14th sailing they had better be informing those passengers NOW.

Hi, I thought the Star cruises left on Sat. to the Mexican Riviera and returned on the next Sat. Your dates don't match up with Sat. sailings. Are you sure you have the right info? Because you kind of have me scared that they are cancelling a cruise. :confused: Also, our Star cruise is not sailing out of Long Beach. We sail out of San Pedro. What's up!

Mousey, the dates are right...these are the EMBARKATION dates of the sailings: 3/6, 3/14, 3/22, 3/30, and then our cruise (hopefully!) 4/7.

The STAR does 8-NIGHT sailings, not seven, which is why the embarkation day changes each week.

We were on the Star Feb 10 and they reversed the itinerary on us due to engine trouble.

It did mess up excursions in two ways:

1, since privately booked excurstion were canceled or just lost, NCL excursions were bought up quickly. A lot of folks were dissapointed.

2, the lines at the excursion desk were crazy long, and the computerized booking machine was shut down making it even harder.

good luck!

Mousey- San Pedro and Long Beach are essentially the same port.

Well, not really...they are CLOSE to each other but very separate and distinct ports. The Star goes out of San Pedro. It's basically Carnival ships that sail from Long Beach.

You definitely want to be sure you head to the correct port for your cruise. :)

These are 8 day cruises so if it leaves on a Sat it will return the following Sun then go from Sun through next Mon and so on. My 4/15 cruise sets sail on a Sunday.

Azdenny, Duh! You are so right! I just checked my ticket and we leave Sat. out of San Pedro and return on the following Sun. Thanks for the heads up.:)

Radsells,

Thanks for the info about no changes. I'm happy to hear it, but I'm still the a little leery. That's because of my experience with NCL and the Dream last year. Every day it was, yeah, we're going to Cancun. Then a week before, NCL said, we are not going to Cancun. So, I'm going to be prepared for anything!:D Just to let everyone know, I'm not an NCL hater or I wouldn't be cruising with them again. Just want to be prepared!

I asked a contact at NCL about the engine problems on the Star. Got this response today... "I have heard and it is only going to be the next couple of sailings and they will have it taken care of. Your sailing is still going as planned."

I'm sailing on 4/23/2007

stan

On the Star's Feb 10, 2007 the port rotation was changed and since all of my excursions were shipped booked i was issued new tickets the next day - yes some people had there ship excursions cancelled because NCL couldn't reschedule with the tour operator - as for the automated machines i suspect that it was probably a programming concern - unable to change the dates etc- I have yet to be on a cruise that there were not last minute lineups to book excursions.

Cheers

Dennis

:D Just spoke to TA who spoke to NCL. No sailings will be affected following the March 6th sail date. No itinerary changes and no cancellations. We are going on the Star on March 30th

Radsells, Would you please post a review when you get back. I'd love to hear how you liked, the ship, ports, food, etc. :D

On the Star's Feb 10, 2007 the port rotation was changed and since all of my excursions were shipped booked i was issued new tickets the next day - yes some people had there ship excursions cancelled because NCL couldn't reschedule with the tour operator - as for the automated machines i suspect that it was probably a programming concern - unable to change the dates etc- I have yet to be on a cruise that there were not last minute lineups to book excursions.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you so much for your helpful info! :) I am glad that NCL will take care of everything for us on the ship booked shore excursions. Now I am wondering if there is anyone out there who sailed the alternate itinerary - did NCL offer shore excursions in Manzanillo and Mazatlan or where you on your own?

Thanks!

Jessica

Thank you so much for your helpful info! :) I am glad that NCL will take care of everything for us on the ship booked shore excursions. Now I am wondering if there is anyone out there who sailed the alternate itinerary - did NCL offer shore excursions in Manzanillo and Mazatlan or where you on your own?

Thanks!

Jessica

I just read on another thread that they did offer excursions for the substituted ports. And, they got a $50 p/p up to $100 per cabin. Someone posted that they put their credit towards an excursion. Sounds like a plan!:D

Archived