SCUBA operator in Grand Cayman? Wetsuits?

Jazzbo

Any recommendations for a scuba operator in Grand Cayman? Also, are wetsuits necessary for diving Grand Cayman and Cozumel in April? The last time we dove in the Carribean (many long years ago), wetskins were fine, but that was July in Cozumel and August in Aruba.

We can hardly wait to dive the Carribean again!!! (Especially after 2 days diving in a cold, murky lake brushing up our skills!):D

Well, I was in Grand Cayman in December... Our group used Divers Down.... They were very good... Nice big boat and a giant stride entry.... I used a shorty and was fine... My buddy used a dive skin and was fine as well.....:D

Thanks Debbie! I actually finally received e-mail replies from Eagle Ray Divers and Neptune's Divers today. Neptune's is booked, but Eagle Ray has room, and they have been recommended on this forum. If I have a problem booking with them, I'll try Divers Down. Appreciate the info on the wetsuit vs. diveskin. I think maybe we'll just take our diveskins and rent wetsuits if we need them. Thanks again!

Vivien

I went out with Don Fosters last time in GC and Eagle Ray Divers in Coz. That was in early March and I wore a shortie. Should have worn a full suit. Especially in GC. The water over the edge of the wall at 85 feet was pretty chilly.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Your message didn't indicate what your diving experience was but I can recommend an excellent shop in each location. Fisheye in Grand Cayman is wonderful. U/W photography is a specialty of theirs and you can get some great still shots or a video from their divemasters for a reasonable price. My Princess ship was delayed one year and they waited for us. I've used them about 4 times and they've been wonderful.

As for Cozumel, those shops can really vary a lot from season to season depending on the condition of the fleet and departures of divemasters. One outfit that is consitently great is Aldora. BUT, they really cater to experienced divers. They offer larger capacity tanks and longer dives. You really get your money's worth. Last time I went with them they set up a special trip to accommodate my arrival time. It was just me, a dive pro, and a boat operator. Cost me a pretty penny but I really had fun. Beat the heck out of a big cattle boat. (Which I've done at both stops. Ugh.)

km -- I tried to reply several times earlier today and got the dreaded white screen (once at the very end of my post!). I'll try again. Thanks for your reply. We are not experienced divers. We have not been diving since we spent a week diving in Cozumel in 1988. We just took the skills portion of the certification course again and did open water dives in a cold, murky lake, so we're looking forward to the Carribean again! We already had booked a 2-tank dive in Cozumel with Scuba by Alison. She has been highly recommended on these boards and takes a maximum of 8 divers. Our problem in Grand Cayman is that our ship departs at 4 PM and the dive operators we contacted couldn't get us back in time. I finally found Ambassador Divers, who will take us out in the morning. We're going to dive Stingray City. I know it's just stingrays, but I can hardly wait to dive with those beautiful, gentle creatures! We'll see fabulous reefs in Coz, and maybe we'll dive in Aruba, too (like we did on our honeymoon, in 1984). -- Vivien

Jazzbo, you'll have wonderful dives at every stop. The reefs in Coz are magnificent. The fish at Grand Cayman are great. Both stops often have the clearest water around.

As for Stingray City, I have a story. I spent a week on Grand Cayman with two pals. Fisheye Dive Shop strongly encouraged us to check out the stingrays. I really didn't want to do it. I wasn't crazy about feeding them and I much preferred the wall dives. Anyhow, my pals talked me into it. On the boat they could tell I was apprehensive. When I wasn't looking, they mashed up some bait and hid it in the dust cover to my scuba tank. Needless to say, as soon as I hit the water the stingrays went crazy and were all over me. As I flailed about trying to fend them off, my pals were laughing so hard their regulators fell out of their mouths.

• 1 month later...

Jazzbo,

My 2 cents...I dove with Neptunes and they were great, sorry to hear that they were booked. I dove without a wetsuit in July and was perfectly comfortable...but then again I have my body fat to keep me warm!

Have a great time.

Steven

Jon -- Here is Ambassador Divers e-mail address:

ambassadordivers@candw.ky

The website is: www.ambassadordivers.com

Jason, one of the owners (originally from Arkansas) is very responsive. He met us at the pier and drove us out to the marina where Larry (a PADI instructor) met us and took us out to Stingray City. My husband and I dove and fed (and petted) the stingrays and my parents snorkeled and saw it all. It was a blast! There were only the 4 of us, so it was like a private charter. It was $85 each for my husband & me (including equipment) and $35 each for my mom & dad. As you can see by looking at the website, they do all sorts of different sites, but I wouldn't have missed the stingrays.

Unfortunately, I came down with bronchitis several days later, so I couldn't go diving in Cozumel. Have a great time on your cruise!

Vivien

Archived