Sting ray sandbar excursion suggestions?

aprildawnmwc

Ok, I think I'm convinced now that we should do the stingray excursion. I posted earlier about concerns.

Normally, I'm one to book with the cruise. I know so many people advise against it but I worry and I know I'd stress about not making it back in time. But I'm thinking it will be worth it to at least book elsewhere for this port. Seems like its better to be in smaller tours.

Any suggestions on which company to use and what tour? We're really up for anything.

Go to Nativewaywatersports and book with them. We just got home this am from the Carnival Victory and did the Island Tour and Stingray City with them. They were great!! Small group of us went to the Turtle Farm and to the Town of Hell, saw the Governers House the first homestead and then went out to Stingray City. One of our guides caught a small one and let us hold it and take pictures then he caught one of the big ones. I HIGHLY recommend this group. I was hesitant about not booking with the cruise line, but it was great and I would (will) definately go with them again.

I just checked w/Nativewaywatersports and had my heart set on their Stingray City and Island Tour (it fit our needs and schedule perfectly), but tonight received an e-mail from them saying they are not offering that tour the day we're in port. :( Does anyone have any other suggestions who to use to do the same things Nativeway offered? :confused:

I'm looking for a tour that includes Stingray City and Turtle Farm (Hell, Governer's House, and the Rumcake factory would be a plus).

I don't want to go with the ship's tour as I know it will be huge and would like some free time either before or after the tour and the ship is cutting the time too close to do any shopping or individual beach time.

Thanks so much, Steph

Go to Nativewaywatersports and book with them. We just got home this am from the Carnival Victory and did the Island Tour and Stingray City with them. They were great!! Small group of us went to the Turtle Farm and to the Town of Hell, saw the Governers House the first homestead and then went out to Stingray City. One of our guides caught a small one and let us hold it and take pictures then he caught one of the big ones. I HIGHLY recommend this group. I was hesitant about not booking with the cruise line, but it was great and I would (will) definately go with them again.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our cruise on carnival conquest. I read WAY too much stuff on these boards and finally narrowed it down to Soto's and Capt Marvin's based on PRICE and mostly good reviews from all you fellow cruisers!! So although I can only talk about Soto's.....I just can't imagine anything better!! THESE GUYS WERE AWESOME!! Kerri is very responsive and answers all questions and arrangements quickly via e-mail. We ended up having 16 of us and were able to do a private tour with them! AND it was still less than $35 per person!! Randy (owner) was a great captain and guide. We were SO glad we chose SOTO's when we got out there....there were soooo many "BARGES" with what seemed like hundreds of people on them....and we had that PERSONAL touch with Soto's even there regular boat only holds about 30 people but they only had about 15 on it! We had our 16 on there other boat and we were sooo pleased with them!! We had a 2 year old other kids from 6 to 17 and our 85 & 83 year old grandparents!! OK...you get it!!!! I loved these guys!! worth every penny and the pennies were less than if we had gone with Capt Marvin's anyway!!!

http://www.sotoscruises.com/ They are$35 per person and $25 (I think for kids) Ours was private....but as I said we saw their regular leave with only about 12-15

We did the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point Excursion through a private company called Nativeway and saved alot of money. It was beautiful. Our boat only had 6 people on it so it was kinda like a family get together. The guide was great and new us all by name by the end of the excursion. We started off at the reef were we snorkled for a couple of hours or so. While there our guide did a dive and brought up a Conch. He opened the shell and we had raw conch right there on the ship. It was sweet tasting. After that we went to swim with the Rays wich were about the size of a doormat. Again it was great because like I said our boat wasn't crowded at all and we all had plenty of time to feed the rays. While there he took our order for lunch and call ahead to Rum Point. When we got there our lunch was ready to eat. We ate and plaid on the beautiful beach for a while before the boat took us back to the other side of the island. I highly recomend Nativeway as an excursion option. However, I've heard there are several good companies that offer this excursion for cheaper than what the ships offer. If you are interested you can look at the web-site. I think it's www.nativeway.com. Hope this helps!

Archived