Virgin Gorda Highlights excursion

cruisinpatty

We went on this excursion last week and it was great! The only complaint I have is that I would have like to spend a little more time there. The boat picked us up right at the ship and took us over to the Baths (about half hour ride). We then jump off the boat and snorkel over to one of the beaches then get a tour through the baths. You do have to squeeze through some tight spaces. Once back on the beach, you can then either just relax in the sun, snorkel, or head back to the boat.

We went on this excursion last week and it was great! The only complaint I have is that I would have like to spend a little more time there. The boat picked us up right at the ship and took us over to the Baths (about half hour ride). We then jump off the boat and snorkel over to one of the beaches then get a tour through the baths. You do have to squeeze through some tight spaces. Once back on the beach, you can then either just relax in the sun, snorkel, or head back to the boat.

Are you sure you didn't take the

Virgin Gorda Baths And Snorkel

tour with NCL? We went on the Virgin Gorda Highlights excursion with NCL last week and weren't really impressed at all. We had to take a van over to the boat which took us to another van which took us to the top of the Baths. There wasn't any narrative along the way, and we were basically on our own at the Baths and there wasn't a guide with us. Our time at the Baths was very short, and we really didn't have time to relax on the beach as I had hoped. We did enjoy the bar at the top of the baths, where their drink special is the Bushwacker. We did get a free drink coupon on the excursion, but it was only good for a rum punch that really wasn't very good unless you were really thirsty.

The boat ride over was quite rough, and one little girl did get sick.......yuck!

has anyone been on this NCL affiliated excursion? Would appreciate any input Thanks!:)

Its fine. You take a ferry over and then a bus for a short tour(more like a van) to the Baths. You walk down to the Baths you have a couple of hour there, then walk back up - have a drink at the top(w/or wo alcohol) a bus back to the Ferry and the Ferry right back to the ship...the was the 2/8 Dawn smooth as glass. There really isn't much to see except the Baths...a church or two Spanish town etc...There was a commentary when the guy stopped the Bus...

Two views same tour.

One more point to see the Baths you really need to do one of the tours. There is the snorkle tour and the Highlights tour. The snorkle Tour you swim in w/o shoes to the shore(which can be somewhat difficult)...then you walk through the baths and swim back out to the snorkle tour ship...some people loved the snorkle tour some people hated it---same tour same week!

I did the baths years ago on a Windjammer Barefoot Cruise. I've heard it's gotten more commercial which is a shame. There literally was nothing there but nature. Do they now require organized tours through the rocks?

When I went, you just got dropped off, and spent your day there. It was wonderful. We toured the baths on our own, and I discovered a more remote path that most people don't know.

If you have a chance, go through the rock formations.. and then you'll end up in a swimming area. Keep going. There's a lovely path with all kinds of desert cactus and things. It ends up at a beautiful little look out point overlooking the ocean. You can't swim there, but it's so pretty and worth walking to.

I did the baths years ago on a Windjammer Barefoot Cruise. I've heard it's gotten more commercial which is a shame. There literally was nothing there but nature. Do they now require organized tours through the rocks?

When I went, you just got dropped off, and spent your day there. It was wonderful. We toured the baths on our own, and I discovered a more remote path that most people don't know.

If you have a chance, go through the rock formations.. and then you'll end up in a swimming area. Keep going. There's a lovely path with all kinds of desert cactus and things. It ends up at a beautiful little look out point overlooking the ocean. You can't swim there, but it's so pretty and worth walking to.

They don't require organized tours through the Baths but its not easy to get to from Tortola without being on a Tour. The Windjammer docks in Virgin Gorda, the NCL ships in Tortola and there really isn't a ferry that will get you there and back in time for the ship...

I saw the HMS Rose when it was under construction at Chautauqua lake...long time ago...

They don't require organized tours through the Baths but its not easy to get to from Tortola without being on a Tour. The Windjammer docks in Virgin Gorda, the NCL ships in Tortola and there really isn't a ferry that will get you there and back in time for the ship...

I saw the HMS Rose when it was under construction at Chautauqua lake...long time ago...

Ah.. I didn't know that! Since I doubt we'll be taking the Baths excursion, can you recommend something else in Tortola?

I sailed the HMS Rose twice. Wonderful ship. She was the ship used in the movie Master and Commander. Sadly, she is no longer sailing following the movie and is in San Diego as a museum ship.

My 10 year old daugher and I are signed up for this tour with NCL. Did you find the swim difficult? Do you leave your towel etc on the boat? Thanks

If you are doing the bath and snorkel you will leave your towel/ regular camera on the boat, if you are doing the VG highlights tour you will arrive by van and will take your towel and stuff with you as you walk down the path to the baths.

Definitely bring a water camera with you if you are taking the bath and snorkel tour.:)

My 10 year old daugher and I are signed up for this tour with NCL. Did you find the swim difficult? Do you leave your towel etc on the boat? Thanks

I didn't do the snorkle tour I did the highlights tour. I talked with some people who did the snorkle tour(since I wanted to do it but my wife was afraid of the swim)...It wasn't an impossible swim but then again I was on the swim team in High School...its about 50 yards if your boat gets there early and gets a close in anchorage. It can be more. The last part the surf can be rough(fun for me)....they will give you a floatation device and I haven't heard of anyone drowning.

Thanks Surfgirl didn't know that either :)

We didn't do much else in Tortola...I think I would go to one of beaches...

I have not reserved the highlights tour but thinking I might should change if the swim is difficult/long. I really think the boat ride sounds better than the van and I was unsure with highlights that time permitted swimming at the baths. Thanks

I have not reserved the highlights tour but thinking I might should change if the swim is difficult/long. I really think the boat ride sounds better than the van and I was unsure with highlights that time permitted swimming at the baths. Thanks

We had more time at the beach than the Snorkel tour--You take a ferry to the Virgin Gorda and than a van for a short 10 minute ride and then walk down(easy walk) down to the beach. We changed from the Snorkel to the Highlights and you can bring your towel down with you(we also carry a small cooler with drinks in it.) There are lockers available at the bottom for a fee and a place to buy food/drink and gifts---a little more expensive than some($22.00 for a nightgown/cover up). It really is 6 of one or 1/2 a dozen of another. You get to the same beach you can snorkel from shore( I did-I bring my own snorkel too with prescription lenses). The snorkel is a little more adventurous.

We had more time at the beach than the Snorkel tour--You take a ferry to the Virgin Gorda and than a van for a short 10 minute ride and then walk down(easy walk) down to the beach. We changed from the Snorkel to the Highlights and you can bring your towel down with you(we also carry a small cooler with drinks in it.) There are lockers available at the bottom for a fee and a place to buy food/drink and gifts---a little more expensive than some($22.00 for a nightgown/cover up). It really is 6 of one or 1/2 a dozen of another. You get to the same beach you can snorkel from shore( I did-I bring my own snorkel too with prescription lenses). The snorkel is a little more adventurous.

Last week the Highlights people had less time than the snorkel people since their boat picked them up at the ship and we had to be transported by van to the ferry...and there was a bit of a traffic problem. I'm not sure if this was only different because we arrived we arrived at 7AM instead of 8AM with our itinerary change.....or if this is normal.

Shoreguy was with us last week on the VG Highlights tour, you might check out his blog thread to see what he had to say about it.

Last week the Highlights people had less time than the snorkel people since their boat picked them up at the ship and we had to be transported by van to the ferry...and there was a bit of a traffic problem. I'm not sure if this was only different because we arrived we arrived at 7AM instead of 8AM with our itinerary change.....or if this is normal.

Shoreguy was with us last week on the VG Highlights tour, you might check out his blog thread to see what he had to say about it.

I actually don't think this changes anything I said. It can vary from week to week obviously. The choice still depends on how comfortable you are with the swim and no towels on shore....I even got a nap in after swimming and going though the Baths....

I Would like to offer some clarification and also ask a question to others who have done the tour.

NCL actually has 2 different tours on their site that take you to the baths. One is where the boat takes you about 50-100 yards away from the baths, which requires swimming/snorkeling. The other takes you to a dock and then you take the bus over to the baths, which is the one I am on in March. The one that takes you by bus is a little more expensive, but worth it. Here is what NCL site says...

Virgin Gorda Highlights

Approximate Duration: 4 hours

Activity Details:

Adult Pricing From: $63

Take an approximately 40-minute cruise along the Sir Francis Drake Channel to Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda. Open safari buses will take you on a five-minute drive to The Baths for swimming and snorkeling in the unique atmosphere of mammoth boulders, palms and sand and sea caves. Roam through the intricate network of trails and boulders to discover hidden caves and sea pools. Note: Participants should be physically fit. The footpath to The Baths is rough and uneven. Wear your bathing suit and bring a towel. Snorkel gear can be rented on the beach at your own expense.

Virgin Gorda Baths And Snorkel

Approximate Duration: 4 hours

Activity Details:

Adult Pricing From: $52

Cruise to The Baths and swim in the crystal-clear waters of the Caribbean. Snorkel and discover the abundant marine life, relax on the beautiful white-sand beach or just rest on the large sun deck of the boat. Listen to Caribbean music and enjoy some rum or fruit punch on the way back to the shore. Note: Wear your bathing suit and bring a towel. Participants must be able to swim 50-100 yards from the boat to the beach as the boat does not pull up to land at Virgin Gorda. The walk over to The Baths is over uneven terrain and through small spaces.

I hope that helps. Now, may I please ask those who have been...

Is it fairly common that people are getting sick on the boat ride to the baths? I have a really week stomach and watching people get sick on a 30 minute boat ride is not my idea of fun! Just curious. Thanks.

No one got sick on our excursion(the highlights one). I don't think the water is normally rough but as in any body of water can be. There is both an inside area and an outside area. The outside area is better than the inside for those with weak stomachs. Look ahead don't look down near the ship....

I see the swim snorkel offers rum punch on the ride back but the one with the bus ride doesn't and it's more money. Anyone know?

I'm booked now with a private tour and I'm sure it's the swim snorkel tour. I'm NOT a strong swimmer.

Those that have done it, will I be allright with the swim or should I switch to the bus tour?

Thanks

2745658740094064591JhoZnX_th.jpg

Here's a link to some photos I just posted at webshots from our Virgin Gorda Highlights tour last week. There is photo of the NCL group who were headed out on the bath and snorkel excursion....you might be able to see the water/waves conditions we had in that photo.

Ok, no link........just click on the little photo and it should take you to the album.

I see the swim snorkel offers rum punch on the ride back but the one with the bus ride doesn't and it's more money. Anyone know?

I'm booked now with a private tour and I'm sure it's the swim snorkel tour. I'm NOT a strong swimmer.

Those that have done it, will I be allright with the swim or should I switch to the bus tour?

Thanks

On the Highlights tour we were given a drink coupon for a glass of rum punch, with or without alcohol.

If your booked with Patouche they cancelled our excursion because of the time change (arrived at 7AM instead of 8AM) and because many of the other passengers backed out.

On the Highlights tour we were given a drink coupon for a glass of rum punch, with or without alcohol.

If your booked with Patouche they cancelled our excursion because of the time change (arrived at 7AM instead of 8AM) and because many of the other passengers backed out.

We are booked with Patouche. How did you find out it was cancelled? Our time in Tortola is listed as 8-1, which could change.

I'm so unsure what to do. :D I think the private tour would be smaller and much more fun but I'm a little concerned about the swim. What to go????

Archived