Help - taking my 5 year old

I have cruised before but never with my children. I want to take my 5 year old son but I have some questions/concerns.

1) What is the best thing for kids to take for seasickness? He gets car sick very easily so I don't know if he should even go on a cruise.

2) Adventure Ocean - I know he will love it but my question is this - He is almost 6 and the age brackets are 3-5 and 6-8. Does anyone have experience with both or recommend where he should be?

Thanks very much,

Jay

Hi Jay,

I took my then five-year-old son on a 6 day cruise on the Radiance of the Seas last May. The Adventure Ocean staff will place him in the age group according to boarding documents, not based on where you think he should go. My son is tall and very mature for his age, but he had a lot of fun in the 3-5 year old group. If anything, he liked being one of the "big kids!"

He had more fun than I did. Art projects, funny songs, pirate parades etc..

The staff really bends over backwards for kids. He was never seasick. If your son gets queasy I'd try seabands first. My daughter used them when she was eight on the Rhapsody and they worked great.

I hope you have a blast.

Karin:D

You'll be fine. For motion sickness, give him Bonine. It's chewable, it's a small pill, and it does not make you all woozy. Note that, for some kids, motion sickness shows up as a headache, rather than nausea.

He'll be fine in Adventure Ocean, as well, and he will be in whatever group includes his age at the time of sailing. They do not bump kids up or down. If there aren't many kids on the ship, they may combine the groups, though. Either way, he'll have a great time. We were on the Splendour, back in December, with my son who was one month shy of six at the time of sailing. He had just as great a time in the Aquanauts (3-5) then as when he did at 4. The Adventure Ocean staff is fantastic. In fact, don't be surprised if your son wants to stay up there more than you'd like him to. :)

D

Thanks to you all.

I didn't know if there was any give on the age thing. He would probably like being one of the big kids.

I will just hope for the best on the seasickness.

I think he will love a cruise (like me). I can't wait for him to see the ship for the first time.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Jay

Talk to your doc about a prescription for phenergan. It really works, and nothing would be worse than a sick child. It is what the doctor on the ship gives you if you are really seasick, but charges you $50 for it.

Archived