Would really appreciate your views

Hi, Last year we did a BB on Carnival Spirit, Hawaii to Vancouver, Inside passage and return to Vancouver. On this ship we loved:- our cabin- which was inside but very spacious and comfortable, the crew-wonderful, made us feel very special and pampered, food:- first class except for the seafood, (you cant beat Aussie Seafood!) the steaks especially were 5star, the boat:- absolutly beautiful, spacious, clean as a whistle and luxurious, entertainment:- really good shows every night in the theatre. Now, next year we are planning to go on a Polynesian Islands cruise, either on Saphire Princess or P & O's Sun Princess. We have heard so many negative things about P & O in the last 12 to 18 months and would love to hear your opinion of both ships.

A little about ourselves, we are 67yrs old but by no means decrepit, still active and love life!! but we arn't big on partying the night away and would absolutly hate to be on a ship with a lot of drunks! Especially on such a long cruise. I suppose our main requirements are:- comfy cabin, (it will once again be an inside cabin, we only sleep and shower in there so dont need a view), good entertainment at night, nice swimming pools and lounging area's, good food and service. Hope to hear from lots of you, I know its a long time to these cruises but I like to start planning early!

For what you are looking for, you cant really go wrong with the sapphire or the sun. With both of them being princess ships, they are a bit more extravagant than p&o australias ships, although the dawn is a former princess ship too. You say you want good entertainment, in that case i would probably go for the sun. Havnt heard anything bad about it from overseas yet. Have you thought about the Tahitian Princess? A nice, smaller ship but it still provides a great experience.

The bad press you have been hearing is mostly a few small things blown out of proportion by the media.

:)

Hi, Last year we did a BB on Carnival Spirit, Hawaii to Vancouver, Inside passage and return to Vancouver. On this ship we loved:- our cabin- which was inside but very spacious and comfortable, the crew-wonderful, made us feel very special and pampered, food:- first class except for the seafood, (you cant beat Aussie Seafood!) the steaks especially were 5star, the boat:- absolutly beautiful, spacious, clean as a whistle and luxurious, entertainment:- really good shows every night in the theatre. Now, next year we are planning to go on a Polynesian Islands cruise, either on Saphire Princess or P & O's Sun Princess. We have heard so many negative things about P & O in the last 12 to 18 months and would love to hear your opinion of both ships.

A little about ourselves, we are 67yrs old but by no means decrepit, still active and love life!! but we arn't big on partying the night away and would absolutly hate to be on a ship with a lot of drunks! Especially on such a long cruise. I suppose our main requirements are:- comfy cabin, (it will once again be an inside cabin, we only sleep and shower in there so dont need a view), good entertainment at night, nice swimming pools and lounging area's, good food and service. Hope to hear from lots of you, I know its a long time to these cruises but I like to start planning early!

Hi Aussiespirit,... husband and I are in your age group, and we are the same regarding the partying etc. I don't think you will have much trouble that way . (the partygoers don't usually go on such long cruises, they would run out of money quick.!!!!) the longer cruises attract the older passenger...retirees etc.

We also travel wherever the best deal is.. inside, outside cabin etc.

The best way to see the Polynesian islands is by ship, as a land based holiday there is very expensive.

I will let you know in a couple of weeks regarding the Sapphire as DH and I cruise out of Auckland next Monday on board. friends who are already on say it is lovely, and that the food in the buffet area is as good as going to the dining room..

I have not been on the Sun Princess, so can't give an opinion on her.

I am sure a lot of other cruise critics can tell you more.

kindest regards, Lorraine.:) :)

Hi aussiespirit, in case you haven't already, it would be an idea to post your questions on the Princess boards too. You are bound to find people on there that have cruised on either ship and probably some that have cruised on both.

Karen

For what you are looking for, you cant really go wrong with the sapphire or the sun. With both of them being princess ships, they are a bit more extravagant than p&o australias ships, although the dawn is a former princess ship too. You say you want good entertainment, in that case i would probably go for the sun. Havnt heard anything bad about it from overseas yet. Have you thought about the Tahitian Princess? A nice, smaller ship but it still provides a great experience.

The bad press you have been hearing is mostly a few small things blown out of proportion by the media.

Thanks "star-man", at the moment we are leaning more towards Saphire, but I am going to continue to read lots of posts before making up our minds.

Also thanks karmac, that is a good idea, will do that.

:)

Hi Aussiespirit,... husband and I are in your age group, and we are the same regarding the partying etc. I don't think you will have much trouble that way . (the partygoers don't usually go on such long cruises, they would run out of money quick.!!!!) the longer cruises attract the older passenger...retirees etc.

We also travel wherever the best deal is.. inside, outside cabin etc.

The best way to see the Polynesian islands is by ship, as a land based holiday there is very expensive.

I will let you know in a couple of weeks regarding the Sapphire as DH and I cruise out of Auckland next Monday on board. friends who are already on say it is lovely, and that the food in the buffet area is as good as going to the dining room..

I have not been on the Sun Princess, so can't give an opinion on her.

I am sure a lot of other cruise critics can tell you more.

kindest regards, Lorraine.:) :)

Hi lorraine, that would be great if you could get back to me, I feel very envious of you going on a cruise in a couple of weeks, we would have loved to do another this year but have booked a holiday in UK instead, (a "feel guilty" trip to see my sister!) we have lived in Aus for 37yrs and have never been back so thought the time had finally come! I have been looking at lots of feedback of Saphire this morning and have read some great things, so at the moment definatly leaning that way, once again, thanks for your reply and have a lovely cruise, Joan.

P&O have had a lot of bad publicity over the last year or so but one needs to keep in mind that this was one incident in P&O's 75 years... when you consider the thousands of people every week who travel with P&O where nothing goes wrong it seems more likely to be hit by a car walking down the street. I was a bit wary before my cruise aswell but once I was on board there was not one moment where i felt vulnerable or frightened in any way and there were always members of staff or security on hand... I think P&O is a completely safe way to travel they have all my trust and they won't let you down :)

My partner and I have travelled on the Pacific Sky, Pacific Star & Sapphire Princess and have to say that yes the shorter 7 day cruises out of Sydney or Brisbane do attract the party animals. Issues usually only arise late at night in the nightclub lounges but P&O have lifted their security to control and monitor these ships and we have heard that the problems of the past are not so prevalent now.

We have just come back of the Sapphire Princess and it was very quiet and found that conduct of all passengers to be very well behaved. In fact we found it to be too quiet, seemed like every one went to bed by 10pm.:eek:

My partner and I have travelled on the Pacific Sky, Pacific Star & Sapphire Princess and have to say that yes the shorter 7 day cruises out of Sydney or Brisbane do attract the party animals. Issues usually only arise late at night in the nightclub lounges but P&O have lifted their security to control and monitor these ships and we have heard that the problems of the past are not so prevalent now.

We have just come back of the Sapphire Princess and it was very quiet and found that conduct of all passengers to be very well behaved. In fact we found it to be too quiet, seemed like every one went to bed by 10pm.:eek:

Matmar, which cruise on Pacific Star did you do in March 2006?? We went on Coral Colours (12 nights to NC/Vanuatu/Fiji) departing on 25th March.

Hey, thats the same cruise we were on

Excellent cruise wasn't it, despite the rough night the first night. My partner & I went with my parents, and my partner's mother and her best friend... We all had a ball. Our best day was the day at Pentecoste. Least favourite was Noumea (but it was our 3rd visit there in 16 months) and then Suva.

Kym

Archived