Best toys to take for 13-month baby?

goin'toalaska

When I took my 13 month old twins, I brought a bunch of little toys that could be connected to those links you can buy or that had clips themselves to attach to the high chairs in the dining room or the stroller as we walked. Saved a lot of picking up dropped toys over and over. Anything new made my girls happy, so I brought inexpensive new little books, etc and I brought out a new one anytime I needed a new distraction for them.

I found having their bouncie chairs was a huge help - a place for them to nap, or put them to watch cartoons or play while I was in the shower or needed them not to be underfoot. The chairs can sometimes be dis-assembled and are really light - if yours are, you might consider it. Otherwise, you can use the stroller for the same purpose.

I also brought a collapsible hamper to throw all their toys into so they would have access to them, and so I'd have a place to put everything out of the way.

Have a great trip!

Best,

Mia

Trying to think ahead for packing -- what are the best packable toys to keep a 13-month old amused? Any ideas for on ship "toys" (e.g.' date=' plastic cups from the bar to stack and sort, etc.)? Thanks![/quote']

Small beach pail and shovel (small enough to fit in a suitcase) for beach excursions. Inflatable beach ball. When my son was that age, he LOVED balls. Beach balls are great because they travel well. I take them on all vacations, even when we aren't going near a beach.

I'd go shopping, even at the dollar store, before you go and get a bunch of cheap toys, toys you might even consider leaving on the ship when you come home. That way, the toys will be new and more exciting. Don't bring them all out at once. Wait until you need a diversion.

I remember my ds loved plastic easter eggs when he was that age. I would scatter them around and he would go around collecting them. You wouldn't even have to take a basket for them, just use the ice bucket in your cabin. Easter eggs are easy to find right now. You could even put snacks or prizes in some of them.

As far as on ship toys, just go out and about as much as possible. The entire ship will be your tot's toy.

Trying to think ahead for packing -- what are the best packable toys to keep a 13-month old amused? Any ideas for on ship "toys" (e.g.' date=' plastic cups from the bar to stack and sort, etc.)? Thanks![/quote']

The bouncy seat is a great idea. They usually come apart and are very packable.

A great toy is the bucket from a "bucket of beer". It can be used on the beach or as a carryall for your 13 month old to pack and unpack.

I bought those disposable sippy cups and ziploc 4 oz. cups for portable snacks. They make great toys. You can wash or throw them out. I still have some that I use for snacks (2 years and many trips later).

Go to the Dollar store, buy stickers and bring paper. Great for the manual dexterity.

There are traveling doodle pro's - need to watch while she 'draws" but its packable and flat.

Aqua doodle - basically a mat that you draw on with a marker filled with water - extremely packable.

Washable crayons - crayola's wash out well.

Boardbooks or clothbooks pack well also.

Have fun!

On our last cruise my DD was 14m and I actually didn't bring that much for her to play with. I had her small diaper bag some thin, not board books, a few small toys (rings, keys, play phone, etc.) and a small stuffed toy. I also brought with us a small baby blanket from her crib at home and did NOT wash it before we took the trip. It smelled of home and she would fall asleep right away each night (or sometimes in her stroller around the ship at night).

I did have my computer with me (due to a business convention before the cruise) and that was a wonder for the cabin! I took some of her favorite DVD's with us and it amused her, and relaxed her just watching "her shows" in the mornings and evenings. I could put her down and let her watch a while and I was able to actually get ready! On my next cruise I will be sure to have a portable DVD player with me -- I (hopefully) will not be using it at the dinner table, but with a 2 yr. old, I've learned to relax and go with the flow a little bit more...:rolleyes:

One of the best tips I gained from this board before our last cruise was to find the open, yet deserted nightclub and let the toddler just run around! It was the only time where we would let her run around and get some of the stored up energy out of her. She had her freedom (controlled, of course) and LOVED it! I could even relax because I knew that she wasn't going to disturb anyone.

And I never go anywhere without those disposable sippy cups! -- they're the best!

There was so much to do and see on the ship I never felt that I didn't have enough for her to do.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Kim

Hi,

I am not sure which cruise line you are going on, but on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, they have aqua-babies and aqua-tots programs with Fisher Price toys for the under 3 year olds. Each day they bring out different toys each session and have little songs etc for the kiddies. Also, you can ask the instructor if you can take some of the toys with you to your cabin for your child to play with. On the last 2 cruises, they actually offered this to us on the second day and each day, we would come back to our room after lunch and there would be a plastic bag with the kids names on it and a balloon with more toys, all we had to do was return them to the childrens centre on the last night of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Jenn

Gift wrap a bunch of little toys, like the kind you get at Mc Donalds....and some new ones and some old favorites. My son used to have so much fun ripping of the tissue to see what was inside. Put a few in your pockets while on line at the airport and for embarking and leaving too. You never know when a little diversion will come in handy. I have even wrapped up animal crackers and gold fish just to keep him busy for a little while!!!

Archived