safety question

dansu

In January we took our 1st cruise. We cruised the Western Caribbean, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize, which were 3 ports each with major safety concerns. Being that this will be our 1st time visiting the Southern Caribbean, are there any safety issues we need to be made aware of? I've been reading alot of posts where everyone is taking local taxis here and there, arranging with strangers online in advance, walking along the beach from one bar to another...sounds like paradise. Is it as safe as everyone makes it out to be, or are there areas we shouldn't visit. Is one beach better to spend the day than another? CCL doesn't have any beach excursions, even if they did they would be limiting the time we spend there, and we would really just enjoy hanging out and vegging in the sun.

We've been to St Kitts twice and love the island and the people. You don't have the safety issues that you'll find in Central America. There isn't a beach that you can walk to from the ship in St Kitts. There are plenty of cabs right at the pier. The closest beach is Frigate bay, but Cockleshell bay is my favorite and then South Friars bay. The cab driver's will come back or wait for you. If you hire one for the day ( usually $20-30pp) you can hit a couple of beaches and do a little sightseeing too. The views from the fort are outstanding, and the gardens at the batik factory are beautiful

St. Kitts is a very safe island. As you would in any destination, use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

As tourism is so important on the island, the taxi drivers, bartenders and staff at the beach bars are very friendly and helpful.

I like South Frigate Bay (Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack), Cockleshell (Lion's Beach Bar), South Friars (Shipwreck) and Turtle Beach (Turtle Beach Bar & Grill). I would avoid Conaree Beach. (isolated)

Archived