Can't get enough of the Med--just booked again

Well, let the planning begin!!! We just booked the Concordia for Feb 29 Greece, Turkey and Egypt.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but last October we were not in love with Rome.. This time we're going three days pre-cruise to get to know the city upclose and personal.

Our itinerary includes Cyprus--this is the only port that has me stumped--we are only there from 8-2. Is it like Rhodes, with an old town to walk around? I read that they make unusual wine? Anybody know? Any unusual handicrafts to look for?

Well, let the planning begin!!! We just booked the Concordia for Feb 29 Greece, Turkey and Egypt.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but last October we were not in love with Rome.. This time we're going three days pre-cruise to get to know the city upclose and personal.

Our itinerary includes Cyprus--this is the only port that has me stumped--we are only there from 8-2. Is it like Rhodes, with an old town to walk around? I read that they make unusual wine? Anybody know? Any unusual handicrafts to look for?

Are you sailing into the port of Limmasol. If you are this is a very large city divided into two parts the new town and the old town. It is very spread out as well, but if you get a taxi from the port you will find an area to walk around. Everybody has different likes and dislikes and for me I would head down to Paphos or up the Troodos Mountains. Your only problem of course is that you do not have very long there. February will be very cool as November to March is their winter and if you go up the Troodos at that time it will be absolutely beautiful but cold. Lots of snow about especially on Mount Olympus. In the area of Lefkara you will find Lefkara lace which very nice. lefkara is in the foothills of Troodos. My favourite from Cyprus is Five Kings brandy which I am sure you can only get in Cyprus, it is a sweet brandy and comes in an unusual but lovely bottle. I could go on about Cyprus all night as it is probably my favourite Island. Also my daughter was married there two years ago because she loved it too. Pity you were not there for longer.

Thanks--I knew that Paphos is where Aphrodite came out of the sea but for some reason it didn't hit me that Cyprus was where Mount Olympus (that MOUNT OLYMPUS!!!) is.

Would it be best to try to find a taxi at the port area and ask to be taken to these areas. I could write down where we want to go--if over the next year I do my homework I will not need a formal, speaks flawless English guide.

I also am sad that we are there for so short a time, but I have fallen in love with the islands and the next trip will probably be island hopping and god chasing on the ferries.

perhaps the Mount Olympus you are thinking about is in Greece which was the home of the gods and is about 100 kms from Thessaloniki. Regrding taking taxis to Troodos and paphos would be quite expensive as to the foot of the troodos is 28 kms and it is approx 70 kms I think to paphos. Normally there are tours that go there so perhaps the ship may have one. Here is a link that will give you an insight to Troodos. BTW there is also a Mount Olympus in Washington state which has 8 glaciers.

http://www.kypros.org/Cyprus/troodos.html

In the Troodos mountain range, besides Machairas to the east, and the actual Troodos district around Mount Olympus (height 1951 metres), there are four other districts, each of which has its own character and separate charm. These districts are: 1. Pitsillia to the east of Mount Olympus, the 2. Solea Valley and the 3. Marathassa Valley to the north of Mount Olympus, and the 4. Krassochoria (the Wine Villages) to the south (north-west of the Limassol district).

These districts are easy to reach from either Limassol or Nicosia.

Yep--I thought it was home to the gods...and I was confused because I thought it was in Greece.

Looking at the tourism site it looks like we may be there for wild flower time.

I'm going to look into the easy to reach regions.

Thanks

As you are not going to be there very long this would be very wise but it would still be a pity if you could not savour a little of the real Cyprus which you would get even if you just made it to Lefkara which is not too far away from Limmasol. Kakopetria is another village I have been to which again is not to far away and in my opinion is very beautiful. There is a little school there and I had a very priveledged feeling when I left there, after seeing the children playing.

Archived