Trying to get to Vancouver, Cathay Pacific?

Sue L

I have been searching constantly for flights from NYC to Vancouver to catch our cruise to Alaska, the cheapest flights keep coming up on Cathay Pacific airlines which seems to be based in the Orient. Has anyone heard of them? know their reputation?

All the other flights on US carriers are ridiculous in the 700$ range per person. The cruise air is cheaper!:eek: I don't know what to do because I do prefer to pick and book my own flights and go in the day before.

If anyone has any feedback on Cathay Pacific I would really appreciate it.

I have been searching constantly for flights from NYC to Vancouver to catch our cruise to Alaska, the cheapest flights keep coming up on Cathay Pacific airlines which seems to be based in the Orient. Has anyone heard of them? know their reputation?

All the other flights on US carriers are ridiculous in the 700$ range per person. The cruise air is cheaper!:eek: I don't know what to do because I do prefer to pick and book my own flights and go in the day before.

If anyone has any feedback on Cathay Pacific I would really appreciate it.

Cathay Pacific is based in Hong Kong - it's their "official airline." It mainly flies in Asia and Europe, plus some slights from Hong Kong to LA, SF, and NY. I have flown with Cathay Pacific on international routes many times. It's one of the premier airlines, as least for international routes, right up there with Swiss Airline and British Airway, if not better (just below Singapore Airline which I think is the best in coach and business class, bar none). Service and safety record is A LOT better than American, United, Delta and the likes.

However, I have never flown on Cathay on "domestic" routes, and I imagine they may have different crews on these routes and that may or may not make a difference. But I would not hesitate to choose a CX flight over, say an AA filight (and I am a Platinum member with AA). In fact, last August while on business, I chose a CX business class seat over a first class seat on AA and United.

Just my opinions . . .

If you can fly Cathay for cheaper than other carriers, take it in a hot second. 747, wide body, nonstop service. The JFK/YVR flights continue on to HKG. FF with excess AA miles often book a West Coast/YVR/JFK flight just because the service is sooo good.

Cathay is usually higher priced than most. So if it is coming up cheaper, book those flights NOW. You will NOT be disappointed.

Wow!!!

Out of curiosity, I went to the Cathay website, put in June 13-July 13 (peak Alaska), JFK/YVR. RT was $396.00. Book that baby in a hot second. That is cheaper than I can fly on AA out of PHX. You won't want to get on an American airline again.

Wow!!!

Out of curiosity, I went to the Cathay website, put in June 13-July 13 (peak Alaska), JFK/YVR. RT was $396.00. Book that baby in a hot second. That is cheaper than I can fly on AA out of PHX. You won't want to get on an American airline again.

Make sure it's a real CX flight, not one of those code-share "flight operated by American Airline." Anyway, $396 RT from JFK sounds like a great deal!

Make sure it's a real CX flight, not one of those code-share "flight operated by American Airline." Anyway, $396 RT from JFK sounds like a great deal!

Real CX flight.

AA has no 744 and the flight continues to Hong Kong. Arrives 1:40AM from JFK, leaves for HKG at 2:55AM.

thanks everyone, I just booked for August 336$ per person round trip. The US airlines all wanted around 650$ to 750$ for a non-stop flight. Just save myself over a 1000$ and used my AX miles to get my daughter from SFO to vancouver. So for 4 of us to Vancouver, 3 from NY and 1 from SFO it is cost me 1200 with all the taxes and fees and non-stop to boot.

I know everyone does the DOC DANCE, but tonight I am doing the FLIGHT DANCE!!!!

Everybody calm down a little. CX is a great airline, and your treatment in coach will be superior to anything you'd likely receive in an American or Canadian airline over a comparable route.

However, the angels will not exactly be singing; for example seat pitch in coach is only 32", the same as the tightest seating on most N. American domestic airlines. Seat width on the 747s is tight, and there are a bunch of middle seats given CX's configuration of the plane. The JFK-YVR flight arrives very late at night (actually around 1:30 AM) and the planes will be full of folk, including fussy children not wanting to be roused at that hour. Coming back, it's a much easier and pleasant flight IMO; although again, it will have just come in off a 12-hour flight from HKG, so don't expect your fellow pax to be all chipper.

That said, if you have American Airlines miles, CX 888/889 are the flat out, no question best flights in all of North America on which to get an award ticket in business or first class. Un-be-lieve-able.

Such "hidden routes" are gems as you can see - the airlines are not well known for these routes so they charge a lot less in order to fill their planes. I think of airlines like Gulf Air, Air India or other similar airlines flying to Europe from the US - their fares are almost always much cheaper than the corresponding US or European carriers' fares. Or Air New Zealand from Los Angeles to Frankfurt - another hidden gem.

As was mentioned - it will be a nice service but still fairly cramped economy class, just more people in the plane! (personally I despise Boeing 747's but if I had a choice I would take Cathay's 747 service over any US or Canadian airline on a different aircraft except a Boeing 777).

Also note that many Cathay Pacific fares do NOT earn mileage on American Airlines. I believe your fare is booked into "H" class. If this is correct, then you will earn miles. But if it is in any "lower" class like M,L,V,Q, no miles (check your electronic ticket receipt for the class or the fare basis - the class is the first letter of the fare basis).

Congrats.

There are a few routes where foreign airlines can carry paying pax on US-Canada routes - CX's service between YVR and JFK is one, Qantas' San Francisco - Vancouver route is another, and Philippine Airlines flies between Vancouver and Las Vegas (an interesting route, usually pretty cheap in business or first class.) There may be others that I can't recall at the moment.

If the US government approves "open skies" legislation or treaties (much in the news at the moment regarding this) then there might be additional entries into the list; if so look for improved service from US-based carriers to compete with foreign carriers that almost always offer higher standards of passenger service than US legacy carriers, never mind low-cost lines.

Archived