Ziplining

lala424

After reading all the boards, I understand that most people take tours in Costa Rica that inculde ziplining... but I was just wondering if you can do the zip line with no tour. Can you just take a taxi or something to the ziplining?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

This is an old question, but the answer is YES. Absolutely. There will be many drivers outside the pier eagerly awaiting your business to take you anywhere you want to go. It is best to know where you want to go ziplining by researching it. Otherwise, you may be told no. (It is easier for a driver to stick to his regular tour than travel a long distance)

Always negotiate your price first. Many zipline companies will also pick you up if you arrange it beforehand.

From Puntarenas, I highly reccomend http://www.turubari.com/

The ship's excursion will pale in comparison. From Limon, I would reccomend Jungle Breezes. Almonds and Corals is nice, but a much longer ride.

Hi LazyGal, we are going on the Infinity's eastbound cruise through the Panama canal on the 9/29 cruise. We'll be docking at Puntarenas and I checked out the link to Turubari and that park sounds great. When did you go there and what did you do? How long is the drive from Puntarenas to Turubari? Should I ask someone like Charlie DeSoto to take us there instead of his usual tour, or did you just use a driver waiting outside the pier? If you used a driver outside the pier did you hire them for the full day or just have them drop you off at the park? If you were dropped off at the park, how difficult or easy was it to get a driver to take you back to the cruiseship? Thanks.

Evoni, we visited TuruBari on our Panama Canal Infinity crossing last fall. It was tremendous and the best zip-lining. We did the extended 25 platform version for $10 extra. I think the park and zipline ran about $85. We paid Charlie Soto and additional $35 ea. to meet us at the pier and transport us.

We were a group of ten from our roll call. Charlie Soto included a trip to the crocodile viewing and the wild monkey viewing (amazing). He is a wonderful guide.

Turu Bari can be an all day adventure though, and we had to cut it short to continue on our pre-arranged tour. I believe you can contact Turu Bari and they will pick you up and return you to the ship. Lunch is included with the Turu Bari day pass; along with the butterfly garden, nature trails and tram ride out of the park.

The last zip-line is 2500 ft. and is a dual line (you race with your partner) over the valley. There were eagles up there soaring around us.

It is a one hour drive to Turu Bari on good roads - nice countryside trip. We were away from the ship a total of 8 hrs.

If you use a driver at the pier, hire him or her for the day (the custom in Costa Rica) There is a nice restaurant area where they can wait for you. Negotiate a price. If you have more people it's easier. Say $25 pp or $100 for the day. (4 or more people) Drivers tend to want to sell their tours, but if you make the $$ worth the trip, it is negotiable.

Enjoy!

Archived