Walking Tours In Martinique And St. Thomas

elou

Usually the ports of call boards are very helpful, but I have to admit the Martinique board is not very helpful. It appears that the hosts deem it necessary to delete threads that would be of interest and help to others.

When we were in Martinique, we took the ferry to the beach and walked thru town. It was fun, but the beach was not great. I'm sure you could walk and see some of the historical sights with a little research. Taxis are readily available right outside the security gate at the pier also. If you speak French you will be in a much better position to get along in Martinique, as very few natives spoke English.

St Thomas is a different matter since it is a US Territory, but you will need transportation to see further than downtown. Again, with a little research you should be able to map out an interesting route with some historical sights.

We did the Martinique walking tour in October. When you get off of the ship the locals will hand you a map of all the historical sites that you can see. The ship dock is about 1 mile to town, but it is a very easy walk so unless you have trouble walking don't bother getting a cab. They have painted the sidewalk a color to show you the way to the downtown area (I think that it was blue, but I can not remember exactly). The historical sites are relatively close together so you can easily see all that you want to see on your time there. The Martinique people speak French and many are not very fluent in English. When you are shopping, if you go to the spice market, some vendors would not take American currency. Be sure to go to the spice market though, it is deep in the downtown area, we accidently came upon it. They have all kinds of fresh spices and interesting things with lots of vendors.

It is very warm in Martinique, at least it was in October so carry some water. If you know your french wines, you can pick some up at very good prices in town. There is a store at the dock, but it is higher priced and very crowded.

Hope this answered your questions!

Archived