Med Cruise, shore excursions with young kids?

Eclipsepearl

We're doing a pretty "port intensive" Med cruise next summer and I'm wondering how to organize it with my kids, ages 3, 5 and the oldest will be turning 8 on board. I just don't see them tromping through Pompeii, Rhodes or Istambul. You could argue the oldest could but he whines if he has to walk too much. I'm also not convinced that he will really absorb it all anyway.

I did go to the ports-of-call forum and I'm realizing that the visits could be a little daunting for young children. My kids too, love children's clubs and have done many on vacation.

I'm reading about not going off the ship with the kids still onboard (left in the club) but I'm not sure how else I can manage. Dh will not want to get off at every port so that solves it somewhat. What to do when he does want to come?

These are not really "beach" destinations, although that might be included in a couple of them.

I do want to add one small point on the purpose of this cruise. While this is a "trip of a lifetime", I don't feel any obligation for my children to see any of these sites. We already are in Europe so at the risk of sounding like a snob, we could get back to these places when they are at an age to appreciate things better. Some of them are a quick flight from France. The point is more just to see if cruising is a good vacation option for us.

I'm the one itching to see something new! Dragging tired whining children is not a big draw...

your children will have a wonderful time in the Fun Factory. Your husband has the right idea- sounds like he just wants to relax and that is possible on a cruise.

My 6 year old never wants to get off the ship. We do Fun Factory from 9-12. He has lunch with me, then a nap sometime between 2-5. Then he dines with the kids at 6PM ($ 6 fee) and stays at the Fun Factory until 10PM. There is babysitting from 10-1AM for a fee ($ 6 an hour). But at 10 they put a movie on and the kids fall asleep- I don't like waking him up to take him back to the cabin. If you and your husband can carry the 3 and 5 year old or put them in strollers to return them to the cabin- then this is an option.

I am doing a Med. cruise this summer (July 24) and will be able to advise about ports after that. Villefrance on our own. I am planning to do Cinque Terre when docked in Livorno. We are doing Rome on our Own in Civittechia. Pompeii in Naples (am taking my 6 year old). Athens on our Own, Santorini on our Own and Dubrovnik on our own.

Depending how much stamina he has- he will do with me off the ship. Since we live in the US- this is a learning experience for him and a big expense (a gift from my father).

Hi! We're doing a 12 night Italy, Greece and Turkey itinerary next month with a 4 yead old and an 8 year old. While they love the camp, we will be bringing them with us at each port. We are not taking any ship excursions. I have reserved with a private guide/driver for the Turkey ports, but otherwise we are going on our own. I have a rough plan of what we'd like to do, but I am also prepared to be flexible if the children are tired. We've basically chosen one focus per port, and then we're going to just enjoy "being" there. I keep telling myself that even adults can't see and do it all in a port in a single day, so there is no point in even trying.

I'll let you know how it works out when we return! However you decide to work it, enjoy your cruise!

Hi all- I &Ms mom cant wait to hear how your trip goes - we are doing a similar cruise - celebrity millie may 13th with our two girls 9 and 5yrs. So please let me know how things went! I want to highly recommend a book to you all, Michelangelos seven seals- it is a mystery type book that travels through his life and art, and my kids are really into it. It even has mystery cards and seals you rub off as you go- they are enthrawled. I am really trying to educate them before we go so they arent bored in museums etc. I bet you can find it on amazon. It is really clever. Any other tools or neat things anyone has found?? :confused: Please share !!!

ELizabeth

Archived