How far is Istanbul Port to City

I am trying to decide if I should get a tour guide for Istanbul. Is where the ship docks close to the major sights? Is it possible to get around on my own or is it better to have a guide take you around?

Also, how far is the port from the airport there? Trying to figure out the best way to get there from the airport.

Thanks!

IST is a fascinating city, very easy to navigate. The public transportation (bus, ferry & tram) is clean, efficient & inexpensive. Taxis are relatively inexpensive as well. The majority of cruise ships dock in the area known as Beyoglu. This is basically the new town (financial district) area in which you will find the large chain resort hotels, a few mosques & palaces, & the entertainment areas of Taksim & Istiklal Caddesi. There is a bus stop just outside the port area; & the tramway has been extended up to this area. Not far away is the Galata Bridge that stretches across a narrow waterway known as the Golden Horn. It is across this bridge that most of the city's sites are located. I have heard of people walking from the pier to the Bazaar Quarter/Sultanahmet. The tramway follows the major street through this section w/ stops where you have access to everything. Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome & the Bazaar are w/in walking distance of each other. However, if you only have one day, you will be hard pressed to actually visit everything (standing in line for tickets & then admittance). For a one day visit, I'd either give serious consideration to taking a full day ship's excursion or pre arranging a private driver/guide (who can secure tickets for you in advance). If you have the luxury of several days, then by all means move around like the locals do. Walk, take public transport & soak in the culture. You can take the ferry across thre Bosphorus to the Asian side or up towards the Black Sea. Lovely towns to explore. As for distance from the airport, I don't have first hand knowledge of that. I have only taxied from the airport to my hotel in Sultanahmet. That probably took 20 mins. as the traffic was heavy at that time. But on the map, it looks to be about 8-10 miles at the most (as the crow flies) between the airport & the pier area. As you can tell, I LOVE this city; & could easily fill 2 weeks seeing all that is noteworthy. If you have the time & are so inclined, check out the links below. Between the Trip Advisor boards & the Turkey Travel Planner website, you will learn everything you could possibly want to know.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293974-i368-Istanbul.html

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/phpBB2/index.php

Archived