On-board Mixers -- Smuggler's Punch

I've never been a big rum drinker, but I see a lot of our yummy drinks here call for a flavored rum. What type of flavored rum is best all-around for the most variety of mixed drinks?

Geez... I'd have to say coconut rum... It still mixes well with Coke, not too bad with Sprite and is a super beginning to a Pina Colada!

Who's got the pineapple juice???

:D

Not that this is a smuggling thread, but my boyfriend & I are talking about "hypothetical" drinks we MIGHT make on board.

So far our consensus is fruit punch, pineapple juice, a splash of sprite, and 2 kinds of rum! OF course rum & diet coke might be in order as well!

IF I was going to be one of those "naughty" people to smuggle on-board. OF course IF I do, we will also hit the bars plenty I'm sure.

I've never been a big rum drinker, but I see a lot of our yummy drinks here call for a flavored rum. What type of flavored rum is best all-around for the most variety of mixed drinks?

First choice is coconut. Another "universal" rum is spiced rum. It is good with OJ, lemonade, coke, etc.

Is dark rum and spiced rum the same thing?

I love coconut, so that will be added to the list. Right now in the pantry we have vodka, tequila and peach schnapps (LOL). Planned on adding a rum in the bag and hoppin' on board.

So I have never seen where someone got caught, what happends??

I am just nervous first cruise, but do not want to spend a ton of money on drinks, would love to take a bottle with me:confused:

Are you familiar with the term 'keel haul'???

Really, the worst they would do is confiscate your booze and return it to you at the end of the cruise...

Join the group, smuggle some booze and enjoy!!!

:D

Orange juice, pineapple juice, equal portions, a touch of grenadine, you'll have to bring your own, and rum, yummy and no blender needed. That's my rum punch recipe, however I can't see spending 1/2 the day running back and forth from your cabin to get a drink. I do smuggle wine, so I'm not against smuggling, put out the flame throwers people.

Yep, I like the above drink. Also, here's a different take on a similar drink - pineapple juice, ginger ale or sprite, splash of grenadine, and Parrot Bay coconut rum.

If you've never tried Ron Anejo Aniversario, then you are missing an absolutely HEAVENLY rum. I was not a rum drinker before a friend brought me a bottle from Venezuela. It is so smoooooooth, you can almost eat it with a spoon. It's a great sipping rum on the rocks, or sometimes I mix with V-8 Splash Tropical blend.

I hope it goes well with the punch onboard too :) .

If I were to daydream about what I would take and how I would take it...this is what I'd do...

Coconut flavored rum, great in everything - IMHO! :p

(My BFF likes coconut rum in her Diet Dr. Pepper) - I must try this!

Lime flavored vodka - great in lido deck's lemonade! ;) (Limeade!)

Pina' Colada bottle mixer, ready to go with the rum already included! These most yummy mixes can be found in nice large plastic bottles that would be better than glass bottles packed in luggage!...and if I had this, I'd fill my thermal cup with ice, drink mix and garnish with pineapple from the buffet...mmmmm!

In this daydream of mine...I'd probably pack the alcohol in my 'check-on' luggage, in the 'Rum Runner Flasks' that are awesome and very durable!

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/ No worries with these things...I love them!

Yum, yum, yum...I like my rum, rum, rum! :D Sorry...just having mental pictures of sippin my favee drinks pool side on the Glory! :cool:

I could go on and on, yet I must stop this daydreaming and return to the real world and get dinner made for my starving family...it was fun while it lasted! Lol! :rolleyes:

- Rhonda

We try to do alot of sugar free things here lately, so I recommend Crystal Light powder or its clone. I mix Pineapple Orange and then I get Wal-mart brand (doesn't come in CL) Peach flavor. You could probably do lemonade too as you are looking for the tart flavor. I mix up the two and add coconut rum. Low carb and low calorie. This will be my first trip trying this technique so I will use half a little tub of each one in a jug with top to shake with water and will keep it in collapsable cooler to use as needed. Hubby puts vodka with his.

BUT, I seem to recall in one of the foo foo drinks there was maybe a liquer or a schnapps or something added to the drink. I think it was the Fun Ship Special maybe? I guess my question is, can you suggest a good something to add to this concoction to add a little variety to it?

Also, Coconut Rum is 21% alcohol so it is lower than some of the other stuff so it is a good sipper and you can sip quite a few. Be advised, they taste SOOOO much better in a souvenir glass, well, if you choose to do something like that. I certainly never would. I have just seen it done before. Not me! No way! Nope. Never in a million years.

In this daydream of mine...I'd probably pack the alcohol in my 'check-on' luggage, in the 'Rum Runner Flasks' that are awesome and very durable!

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/ No worries with these things...I love them!

- Rhonda

Thanks for the link! I just purchased some of these! What a great idea!;)

I’ve never seen pineapple juice on the breakfast buffet, I had to order it from rom service and they charged me two dollars for a little glass. No big deal but I found that they do put out Guava juice in the mornings and it mixes very well with coconut rum. :)

I’ve never seen pineapple juice on the breakfast buffet, I had to order it from rom service and they charged me two dollars for a little glass. No big deal but I found that they do put out Guava juice in the mornings and it mixes very well with coconut rum. :)
I've never seen pineapple juice (or mango juice) on the buffet either. Guess we've been on the wrong ships. ;) We also mix coconut rum with the pass-o-guava juice and maybe a splash of OJ as well.

So would an insulated cup be the way to go for some of these concoctions? Or can you just whip it up into the drink of the day cup?
We bought large insulated souvenir cups with lids on three of our last four cruises and used those to mix drinks. We use the cups all the time at home, so they make great souvenirs as well. They didn't have them on the Triumph (not sure if they were just out of stock or don't carry them anymore), so we just used the cups from the buffet area.

Macys sells at least two different ones. Magic bullet and Bella Cucina. Have seen the same or simiular at Belks and Kohls I think. We bought the Bella Cucina as it was the least expensive and is only used a couple of times a year.:) Bill