Live from the Freedom

SouthernLadie

Well we finished our first port today. Pompii Sorento and Capri! It was the largerst group for an excursion. Pompii was alot of walking! but the history and the fact that you are close to a live valcano was very exciting! One of the stops before going into Pompii was the Camieo shop. The first chance to go the the potty! That is an experience in itself! No seat! Just hang it out and let it fly! In Sorento we went to a shop that makes inlayed jewler boxes and there we alot of places to shop. Tried my first sip of Lemonchello! Very smooth until it hits the bottom of your throat then you get the warming. Lunch was included at a little restaurant on a side street. This was included in the cost. Three courses, wine and water included. Then we take a hydrofoil to Capri. Very exciting! Of course you have to walk and ride a tiny bus on a very winding street...personally I would call it a path, very tight for two cars to pass.

My expericences were that if you are not able to walk lots of stairs then this is not the excursion for you! I do mean lots of steps. In Sorento you have to walk down around 100 steps to get to the port for the hydrofoil. would I do it again...no. Too much steps and not enough time to shop.

Add more later. I will add our arrival on a late date. The internet cafe here is expensive!:eek:

Alice Faye

The ship is beautiful. very new still smells like fresh paint! The drawers stuck in our room but a little soap fixed that. youj will love being here if you are on the cruise next. We are breaking her in really slowly for you! LOL You might get lost the way we have but they do give you a little map to use.

More later.

Alice Faye

Well we finished our first port today. Pompii Sorento and Capri! It was the largerst group for an excursion. Pompii was alot of walking! but the history and the fact that you are close to a live valcano was very exciting! One of the stops before going into Pompii was the Camieo shop. The first chance to go the the potty! That is an experience in itself! No seat! Just hang it out and let it fly!

Not to get too graphic, but you have me very curious...no seat????

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in answering or continued posting. We had satellite problems and then I lost minutes and well...I am one of the 400 or so that got an upper respiratory infection on the cruise. I will start at the beginning.

We left Raleigh Durham Airport on Monday and flew to Philly. We flew US Air and were treated really well. I really do not want to fly that long anymore! They did have these little monitors attached to the back of the seat in front of you to view movies and TV shows. From Philly we went directly into Rome. Important note: PLEASE make sure you get 1 euros and not large bills in your exchange to get a luggage cart while waiting on baggage. We had to lug all our bags across the lot to the bus for the Courtyard By Marriott Airport. Once across the drive there were loads of carts people left...Smallest euro we got in Philly was a 10 euro note. Driver loaded up the bus off we go on our adventure! Once at the hotel we found out our rooms were not ready so we waiting in the restaurant. Found out breakfast was not included in room rate and it was 16 euros to eat. Room was typical American size rooms and beds. Carnival had a welcome desk set up in the lobby and we were excited we didn't have to shuttle back to the airport to get the shuttle to the ship. We bite the bullet and bought the shuttle from Carnival. We got into our rooms and decided not to sit there and got a cab into Rome. 46 Euros for the 4 of us. NOTE: Cabs in Rome drive like there are no lines in the road. They need to turn they just turn at 60 miles an hour. We learned really fast to just close our eyes and prayed. First stop...Trevi Fountain. Crowds! There had to be hundreds of people..and like every visitor we had to toss a coin over our shoulders! We kept our handbags close to our bodies under our coats and had money belts on. We walked down one of the small lanes to the left of the fountain and sat at a little table for our first real Italian pizza! For all you Pepsi and Dr Pepper fans.. we are SOL! Coke, Light Coke (Diet), or Sprite. No ice but the bottles were cold. Blanket vendors were so much fun to watch. Blanket vendors sell the Original Designer Fake handbags and Belts. Prada, Louie Verton's, Fendi just to name a few. When they heard a whistle they would gab up their blankets and off they would walk and behind then you saw police. Once they passed out the blanket would come. I didn't buy from them but the dealer on the corner who had a license, I got a small Louie for 30 euros. NOTE: Euro for 100.00 US you get 70.00 Euros. We started walking to get to the Spanish Steps and the we headed out to look for the Hard Rock! Not to eat but to buy my boss, who graciously let me off for three weeks, a beer glass for her collection. We left the Hard Rock and headed by Cab to the Coliseum. I am still trying to believe I am actually in Rome Italy! It was decided to head back to the Hotel, as it was getting dark. Now cabs like I said were close your eyes and pray....I fell asleep only to be woken up by the question.."Does any of this look familure?" My friend was in the front seat looking a little scared. We did get back to the hotel for 46 euros and to bed with dreams of a huge ship.

Wednesday we get up and get out to the bus for the ship! It is roughly about an hour ride to the ship. Over the hill and off to the left you get your first real glimpse of the Mediterranean and the Freedom! Embarkation was really fast. We go get our Sign and sale and give our credit card info and then move over to turn over our passports! Yes you turn over your passport to Carnival. John will tell you in the welcome talk all about saveing time getting off the ship if they have the passports so that the official come on the ship and stamp the passports. We get our first picture and we are heading onto the ship! Of course we have to head to the Lido for lunch as our rooms are not ready. The temp is around 68 degrees fahrenheit, which is around 20 degrees Celsius. I buy my soda card (76.00 us) and for another 4.95 a Carnival cup (which after the first breakfast I loose!) Food was good but your typical lido food. We finally get to go down to the room and I walk into a room full of Streamers and a fruit basket (thanks to CC posters I sent a letter to Carnival and got a Bon Voyage Gift!) Our other two trip mates thought My roomies Boyfriend did it for her... So we let it go as that! Aft room 6487 extended balcony we had our Steward Jenny come and seperate the king into two twins. You know what comes next.. welcome aboard talk and life boat drill and sail away from our own balcony.. if you get there early for the Life Boat Drill you are backed to the wall and there are three lines infront of you! We get back to our room and our suitcases make it. We didn't make it down to dinner the first night and ended back on the lido! I had my first Rubin which another thank you to CC I found the deli in the Lido and it was great! We go to the welcome aboard show. I love the shows! The one thing we found out bad about our cabin besides being over the disco was that it was cold. Not chilly or cool but C O L D! could be why I got sick! So that was our first two days. Will be back later for our first two ports. need to reread my notes and capers.

Alice Faye

Alice: Thanks so very much for the additional information. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. Sorry about the upper respiratory infection - must have made for an uncomfortable trip home...I hope you are feeling better now. It's really terrific of you to take the time to put togehter a review for us all. Thanks again!

If you swing by the piano bar.

Tell RON PASS that his friend Ryan, in St. Louis said hello.

Sit for a song or two while you're in there, Ron is a great entertainer. Maybe im biased, but i think he is one of the best piano players out there.

I had ron on the valor and ron "performed'' after the scheduled time and did the funny and risque songs..

Nonetheless, you'll have a blast in his bar !!

Archived