Noro - Nobody wants it but.....

Kernel Fudge

What about the crew ? (Not suggesting they want it either of course ! :p ).

No, my query is, as a virus, I would guess that we are all just as susceptible to contracting it - passengers or crew . So what happens if the crew start falling by the wayside with the squits (sorry, Norovirus)?

What if, for example, it hits the Galley? Now there can only be so many chefs onboard (a lot, but only so many nevertheless).

It's just that it struck me that the only thing that I have read about 'outbreaks' have been regarding the pax. That surely can't be the full picture.

Anyone got any 'hands-on' (after sanitizing of course ! ;) ) experiences?

P.S. I am Conversationalist ( or am I ???? :D )

Kernel

Haha! Nice try Kernel! ;) It's too obvious that you aren't the offending poster because he isn't a part of any roll calls, has never posted anything that has actually contributed to these boards in any way, shape or form, and finally only posts questions or comments that serve to "stir the pot".

But nice try. :D

As to your query, I have wondered this myself. There MUST be some type of quarantining measures for the crew, but I am at a loss as to what they are. Since, as a general rule, Noro usually only affects 3% of a cruise population, I am going to assume (and you know what they say about assumptions :rolleyes: ) that only 3% of the crew are affected as well. So if you have 30 chefs on any one sailing, only one would come down with Noro.

Also, handwashing is the number one way to prevent spreading or contracting Noro and I am 100% positive that the ships are very strict on the crew guidelines for that.

Celeste

Since, as a general rule, Noro usually only affects 3% of a cruise population

Mrs Kinsey, I think the 3% actually refers to the number of people on a cruise that have to be infected before it is reported to CDC. I think I remember reading about one of the HAL ships (?ship name) that has been infected twice recently, the second outbreak hit 14%.

Plus, his name is conversationist! I read in many of the news threads on yahoo, that there were always crew members, not just passengers affected. We have been on so many and never had it! Yes, they get quarantined as well. Funny thing is, everyone makes a big deal out of it when a cruise ship reports it, but what about resorts? They have just as many problems! I would think the crew take this very seriously and keep their hands sanitized unlike many of the passengers I have seen! Yikes! :eek:

Archived