Excursions in Alaska-1 & 2 year olds- ideas??

EmmaJean

We are going on the Golden Princess to Alaska. There will be a 1 3/4 and a 2 1/2 year old with us, my husband & I, and their grandparents.

Stops are in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, & Victoria.

If those of you that have been to Alaska thought any excursion would be great for little ones, please let us know. This is the first cruise for all of us and our first time in Alaska.

If you noticed any ways that is more cost effective, that would be great too. For example, I found that booking independently with the White Pass Railway in Skagway would make my little ones FREE instead of paying $50-100 each, depending on the excursion.

I really appreciate all the advice in this forum. I noticed many people recommend the beach for toddlers, but I don't think that applies to Alaska.

Thanks

We are going on the Golden Princess to Alaska. There will be a 1 3/4 and a 2 1/2 year old with us, my husband & I, and their grandparents.

Stops are in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, & Victoria.

If those of you that have been to Alaska thought any excursion would be great for little ones, please let us know. This is the first cruise for all of us and our first time in Alaska.

If you noticed any ways that is more cost effective, that would be great too. For example, I found that booking independently with the White Pass Railway in Skagway would make my little ones FREE instead of paying $50-100 each, depending on the excursion.

I really appreciate all the advice in this forum. I noticed many people recommend the beach for toddlers, but I don't think that applies to Alaska.

Thanks

We will be taking our 2 1/2-yr old to Alaska for her second cruise. Obviously I won't know how things will turn out until afterward, but here are excursions (all independent) we have planned that may give you some ideas:

1) In Skagway, rent a car and drive to Yukon/Emerald Lake with stops along the way for a family outing.

2) In Juneau, visit the Mendenhall Glacier. We are going to take a helicopter tour afterward without the kid (staying with grandparents). But the tour operator says they would allow kids on the tour and have done it many times. You can also check out the tram that goes up Mt. Roberts.

3) In Kentchikan, the kid and grandparents will go to the Lumberjack show while we take a floatplane tour.

We will also take the kid with us on a Kenai Fjord boat tour while in Seward before the cruise.

Obviously, there are many other options available in all ports. I usually scale back our ambitions when traveling with our daughter, and simply enjoy spending time together.

Flight tours are pretty expensive, but most other options are economical (at least for Alaska).

Good luck and have fun!

ketchikan - the lumberjack show is right in town, tickets can be purchased at the store that fronts the fenced area for the show. it was raining too hard the day we were there, but the totem poles are can seen easily. cute town for walking around.

skagway - the train is going to be very boring for them, there is room for them to move around, but the doors to the platform are right there, people going in and out to get their photos all the time.

i would think that for little folks that young, a car would make more sense? during the summer the big windows, on the train, are open (we had to keep them closed on my trip..too wet and foggy and COLD). on cold mornings they have a pot belly stove lit up. as pretty as the scenery is, the train is a little boring. very quiet on the way back down, DH got a good nap.

juneau - how about just taking the shuttle up to mendenhall? you get the views and they can doing a little running around. shuttle can be found right near the ships..cheap. spend as much time as you want walking around. vistor's center has things to see.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.skagway.com/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

http://www.alaskatravelers.com/thingsto.htm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

EmmaJean

We're also on the Golden with a 14 mo old and a 6 year old. We've visited Alaska 2x before.

We've decided to rent a car in Skagway and drive to Caribou Crossing for the wheeled dog sled ride. (I think the train will be too boring for such youngsters since it is a long ride and with a car, we can stop and run around if we want).

In Juneau, we've booked whale watching with Harv and Marv. We took our daughter whale watching when she was 3 in 2004, it was an ok trip. She was bored. Now that she'll be 6 - she will enjoy the whales more. I'm not sure how the baby will do on this trip.

As for Ketchikan - we have nothing planned. We did walk to the salmon hatchery and eagle sanctuary in town. It is very cool to see the eagles up close like that. The kids should like seeing the fish, too.

By any chance are you on the 7/21 sailing?

JennB

About the only thing I can think of for toddlers that age would be one of the sled dog kennels to see the dogs and puppies.

Possibly the train in Skagway if they are interested in trains.

I don't think tours/excursions are geared for kids that young.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

We are on the 6/2 sailing.

Do you get to see the puppies when you book a dogsled excursion? They do love dogs.

We rode the train to the Grand Canyon with their grandparents and they enjoyed that. Of course, their was entertainment and soda pop-don't know if the Skagway one would be as interesting. If there was quite a bit of wildlife to be seen, I think they would like it. ??

Seeing the fish at the hatchery would probably interest them too. They love animals.

With renting a car, do you just bring your own carseats? Do you have the "travel" car seats? I've heard of them, but don't know where to buy them. We are driving to Seattle, so we will just have our regular ones along, but were planning on leaving them in our car.

Do you think that we will be able to fit 2 travel cribs in our Golden inside room? I'm not sure if the Golden Princess would accomodate us with 2 or if I should bring my own. So much stuff to lug! I didn't see "crib requested" anywhere on the cruise personalizer. I guess I would need to call. ??

That is great if the grandparents will take the little one when you go flying. My husband would enjoy that. We would probably not leave them too much because 2 can be a little more to manage. Did you notice if any of the flight tours/helicopter landings had little ones FREE or cheaper if they are on your lap? I know they are expensive, but that is just what my husband would love to do-if he can't fly it himself.

Thanks so much.

very little if any (i didn't see any) wildlife from the train. critters tend to stay away from noise. just views down the mountain. the only entertainment is a few jokes from the folks over the loud speaker as as they talk about the history. they start with a case of water in the train cars. people grab these up, they are shaped like trains. if you want food on the train, you have to bring your own.

the train does jerk around some, if your kids are running around, i would be careful...the seats aren't padded (much) and have metal bars. could bruise a little one.

if you do a search for "puppies" you might find several postings. even if you don't do the dog sledding, you can visit the area and the puppies.

I wanted to second the idea of doing the dogsledding in Caribou Crossing (renting a car in Skagway and driving up). The price is MUCH cheaper than booking dogsledding through the ship. Caribou Crossing offers 2 different dogsled rides; the longer one is about $50 each and requires reservations. That's the one we did with our 4, 7, and 12 YOs; maybe the shorter ride would be better for your little ones. It is awfully bouncy. You get to play with the puppies as part of the dogsledding, but you can also pay separately to see the puppies if you aren't doing the dogsledding.

I'd also like to second the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan. Great fun!

The Royal BC Museum in Victoria is just awesome. It's probably a short walk from where the ship's shuttle drops you off. The museum does close at 5 PM, so that doesn't always work with some itineraries. Just walking along Victoria's Inner Harbor is very neat - there are totem poles and boats to look at, and yummy ice cream from street vendors.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

We are on the 6/2 sailing.

Do you get to see the puppies when you book a dogsled excursion? They do love dogs.

We rode the train to the Grand Canyon with their grandparents and they enjoyed that. Of course, their was entertainment and soda pop-don't know if the Skagway one would be as interesting. If there was quite a bit of wildlife to be seen, I think they would like it. ??

Seeing the fish at the hatchery would probably interest them too. They love animals.

With renting a car, do you just bring your own carseats? Do you have the "travel" car seats? I've heard of them, but don't know where to buy them. We are driving to Seattle, so we will just have our regular ones along, but were planning on leaving them in our car.

Do you think that we will be able to fit 2 travel cribs in our Golden inside room? I'm not sure if the Golden Princess would accomodate us with 2 or if I should bring my own. So much stuff to lug! I didn't see "crib requested" anywhere on the cruise personalizer. I guess I would need to call. ??

That is great if the grandparents will take the little one when you go flying. My husband would enjoy that. We would probably not leave them too much because 2 can be a little more to manage. Did you notice if any of the flight tours/helicopter landings had little ones FREE or cheaper if they are on your lap? I know they are expensive, but that is just what my husband would love to do-if he can't fly it himself.

Thanks so much.

I believe most helicopter/floatplane operators allow toddlers onboard - but they also charge full price for the kids. Sitting on the lap is not allowed (and I won't do it even if it is allowed). The helicopter operator in Juneau will set up a car seat onboard if you let them know ahead of time.

Avis can provide car seats with their rentals, but I think they charge extra for that too. Plus, their carseats are kind of crappy and not very comfortable. We always haul our baby's carseat along on trips - need it for the plane ride anyway. There are "travel" carseats or carseat-stroller combo available on the market but you have to do some research to know what you are buying. For us, traveling light is a thing of the past once we decide to go with our daughter. It is worth the sacrifice though.

I believe the ships offer in-room babysitting. Alaska is really not for babies. Hopefully, you can enjoy yourselves without having to worry about what will entertain the kids. We are leaving ours at home this time!

No, Princess offers nothing for my kids as far as daycare, so I'm on my own. My parents arranged the cruise before we were planning on going, and we're just added on. Otherwise, if we had picked it, we would have looked for one that had something for them. We wouldn't leave them on the ship and go ashore anyways. I'm sure you will enjoy your getaway.

We were looking at renting a car in Juneau without finding anything besides at the airport. Then I realized that you guys recommended doing that in Skagway...back to looking.

Shuttle to the Mendenthal (sp?) glacier sounds cheap and easy.

Months to plan-a week to experience...I'm sure it will be worth it.

Emmyjean here are some other ideas that your little ones would enjoy. In Victoria they have water ferries that take you all over the inner harbor. They are alot fun. the web site for this www.harbourferry.com Also in Ketchikan they have duck tours. The web site for this is www.akduck.com That is also a fun ride.

Marilyn

These ideas are great. I am becoming very familiar with these ports in Alaska now.

The amphibian Duck Tours in Ketchikan seem like something my husband would even think is cool.

For the Harbor ferries in Victoria-is that what I should buy & bring my little ones a life jacket for? FYI The Harbor ferries have a "family rate" that is a good discount and babies under 1 are free.

So far these options are "free" for my 1 & 2 year old:

1) Lumberjack show in Ketchikan-(Is it better to pay when we get there? Cruiseline is charging $34 per adult.)

2) White pass railway in Skagway (If doing-booking independently makes them free)

3)Duck tours in Ketchikan-I know we would pay for these when we get there.

It may sound petty, but the charges add up fast!

Enjoy hearing more ideas and seconds on favorites too...

we were shopping around the shop, that fronts the lumberjack show. there were many people just coming up to the register and buying thier tickets. some were getting for the "next" show, not the one they were announcing right then. it doesn't hold too many people (i went around behind and peeked throught a holes just to see the seating, not to watch the show). it could see out some shows, but from what i saw...tickets are usually available the day of.

No, Princess offers nothing for my kids as far as daycare, so I'm on my own. My parents arranged the cruise before we were planning on going, and we're just added on. Otherwise, if we had picked it, we would have looked for one that had something for them. We wouldn't leave them on the ship and go ashore anyways. I'm sure you will enjoy your getaway.

We were looking at renting a car in Juneau without finding anything besides at the airport. Then I realized that you guys recommended doing that in Skagway...back to looking.

Shuttle to the Mendenthal (sp?) glacier sounds cheap and easy.

Months to plan-a week to experience...I'm sure it will be worth it.

Are you sure you want to rent a car in Juneau? There really aren't many places to drive. The road ends a couple miles out of town?

May I suggest you go to the library and borrow or buy a copy of the Milepost which has the most imformation about Alaska mile by mile. www.milepost.com

You're right, I need to rent a car in Skagway, not Juneau. We spent a day looking for a place in Juneau near the port and realized that it wasn't a good idea.

We just reserved our car in Skagway. It was funny, because we called and got one price, then when we called back 5 minutes later the price went up-they said more inquiries raise the price! It was still less than the price on the internet, so we booked it. Moral: be ready to book it when you are given the price.

Sounds like we should just get our tickets for the lumberjack show through the cruiseline, so we'll have it all planned and won't have to wait for the next show.

Going to the library is a great plan-I just put some Alaska books on hold-milepost wasn't available though.

We just reserved our car in Skagway. It was funny, because we called and got one price, then when we called back 5 minutes later the price went up-they said more inquiries raise the price!

I find that strange! That did not happen when I called a couple of years requesting pricing and availability for 2 cars, then called my SIL who confirmed they had other plans for the day, then called back to book just one car. Maybe if I'd've booked 2 cars they'd've went up in price... since I only booked one, does that mean we had a 'dis-inquiry'???:)

Something I've been thinking about, when we booked Alaska last year, we had friends join us. Their son and daughter-in-law, with a toddler daughter, considered joining us, also. Although they were thrilled at the thought of sailing with their family, I could see 'baby-sitting' for my friend (the grandmother) in the picture. That would've definitely limited what my friend would've done otherwise, because as a loving grandma, she would've wanted spend time with her granddaughter that week, yet would be missing out on some of the 'once-in-a-lifetime' experiences on a quite expensive trip, due to watching the toddler.

I saw where you mentioned not leaving them with grandparents 'too' much. I think that's great that you're recognizing that it's their vacation, also, and not babysitting on board!:) I think I' would've cried had the 'family' joined us, because it would've limited the whole bunch of us, or I'd've felt so guilty everytime we left 'grandma' behind babysitting, and with needed naptimes/rests, I think that would've happened. And, yes, I DO love kids, and can hardly wait for my own grandchildren!!!

I think as long as it isn't raining, and your children have room to run and play, you'll have a great trip. One thing about Alaska, most days are port days, and give opportunity to find somewhere for them to run and play.

Sounds like we should just get our tickets for the lumberjack show through the cruiseline, so we'll have it all planned and won't have to wait for the next show.

We booked the Lumberjack Show through our ship (Princess) because it was exactly the same price as to buy them directly from the venue. Plus, through the ship we weren't charged sales tax.

Don't be discouraged by comments that Alaska isn't for little ones. Our 3 kids have always traveled with us everywhere, and they are very good travelers (and very well-behaved) because of it. As long as the parents are very focused on their children and are dedicated to making it a true "family" trip, there's no reason it won't be great!

I find that strange! That did not happen when I called a couple of years requesting pricing and availability for 2 cars, then called my SIL who confirmed they had other plans for the day, then called back to book just one car. Maybe if I'd've booked 2 cars they'd've went up in price... since I only booked one, does that mean we had a 'dis-inquiry'???:)

Something I've been thinking about, when we booked Alaska last year, we had friends join us. Their son and daughter-in-law, with a toddler daughter, considered joining us, also. Although they were thrilled at the thought of sailing with their family, I could see 'baby-sitting' for my friend (the grandmother) in the picture. That would've definitely limited what my friend would've done otherwise, because as a loving grandma, she would've wanted spend time with her granddaughter that week, yet would be missing out on some of the 'once-in-a-lifetime' experiences on a quite expensive trip, due to watching the toddler.

I saw where you mentioned not leaving them with grandparents 'too' much. I think that's great that you're recognizing that it's their vacation, also, and not babysitting on board!:) I think I' would've cried had the 'family' joined us, because it would've limited the whole bunch of us, or I'd've felt so guilty everytime we left 'grandma' behind babysitting, and with needed naptimes/rests, I think that would've happened. And, yes, I DO love kids, and can hardly wait for my own grandchildren!!!

I think as long as it isn't raining, and your children have room to run and play, you'll have a great trip. One thing about Alaska, most days are port days, and give opportunity to find somewhere for them to run and play.

Hopefully our plans will allow for much running and playing. Our boys are good travelers. We have a Disneyland annual pass, so they have been on 5 trips there since September. They do cry sometimes, but they do at home too. We just have to take them aside and figure out what they need.

The car thing was weird. We've had the same type of experience in booking our cruise too. We were given a great rate and then when we called back an hour later they said that that rate didn't exist. My husband and I weren't going to go, but the grandparents really wanted us to go, so they offered to pay for one of the little ones. So now we're going. Since the price was just slightly different for the car we went with it anyway.

Not to worry about limiting my parents. They feel like they already spent a ton on the cruise so driving through Alaska is once in a lifetime for them and more cost effective. My dad won't go in a plane, doesn't like big groups, can't walk too far, and thinks the cruise ship is a small enough boat for the ocean. They said if we go on a plane tour, that we should leave the boys with them!

In fact, for the cruise Grandpa wants to spend most of the time on his balcony. If the little ones are napping, it works out well because Grandpa gets to relax and the little ones won't be left alone. We're planning on taking walkie talkies in case he wants to go somewhere else and for when the little ones wake up.

Thanks for letting me know the Lumberjack show price. I think it is close to the ship, so I was thinking of booking the last show. That way, if we are up early and feel like going into town to see the fish and eagles, we can do that and the show will be on the way back. Does that sound like a good plan? Does the show have assigned seating?

make sure you go to the totem poles, i think they said that some of a bus goes there? (not sure about that) we didn't go and i kick myself. between the rain and my DH's father's health. we wanted to spend time with dad. my FIL has health issues, but is stubborn beyond belief. he did do the train ride, that was all. didn't leave the ship otherwise.

i would have liked to see the totem, maybe see some of workmanship.

make sure you go to the totem poles, i think they said that some of a bus goes there? (not sure about that) we didn't go and i kick myself. between the rain and my DH's father's health. we wanted to spend time with dad. my FIL has health issues, but is stubborn beyond belief. he did do the train ride, that was all. didn't leave the ship otherwise.

i would have liked to see the totem, maybe see some of workmanship.

Is that in Ketchikan? Do you mean the city bus or a tour bus? I wonder if we'll see many in the city. I thought so. Can't remember

We are taking a car instead of the train, as you suggested. Looking forward to driving to Caribou crossing and emerald lake.

ketchikan has the totem poles...2 different places.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/ThingstoDo/NativeCulture/tabid/95/Default.aspx

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/TravelersDirectory/tabid/71/Default.aspx

some folks have mentioned having a good time on the ducks..i think they just drive by..don't stop. others have said a city tour.

can't believe i didn't just send DH back to spend time with his dad and still go out to see the totems. but i got a great shot of the 2 of them by some big windows with another ship coming into port. will be a cool memory for DH. the trip become become more time with dad then sightseeing. we will just have to go back.

if the salmon are running, you can go to the walkway along the creek and watch. might be a good place to see the eagles, also. we were too late in the season. the creek is just up from the boat harbor, a couple of blocks from where the ships dock.

Thanks for letting me know the Lumberjack show price. I think it is close to the ship, so I was thinking of booking the last show. That way, if we are up early and feel like going into town to see the fish and eagles, we can do that and the show will be on the way back. Does that sound like a good plan? Does the show have assigned seating?

There is no assigned seating for the show. It is mostly covered by a tarp in case of rain (I say mostly because we were in the front row and got a little bit of light rain on us). The theater is very small and I think you would be able to get a good view from almost anywhere. The performers really try to involve kids, especially.

It is an easy walk from the docks, 5 minutes or so (maybe 10 with little legs setting the pace).

Archived