Anyone Ever Have A Problem Taking Their Children Out Of School?

t968

In response to "anyone ever have a problem taking their kids out of school":

Our ( Florida public school ) kids missed 5 days of school due to a cruise in Feb 2005. That week was scheduled by the school district to have 2.5 teacher workdays (no students) but the calender was changed in January 2005 to make up days lost to hurricanes. Teachers sent work along with the kids, which was completed. No complaints/issues/reprimands from the district, school administration, teachers, or other parents. The trip was not during the school district census week when enrollment figures are calculated.

Our children (now Wisconsin public schools) may miss up to three weeks (15 school days) for an Asian cruise this fall (they will be in grades 4 and 7). Our public school district policy states that they will allow an "excused absence" (exact words) of up to 10 (ten) days per school year "for vacations" (more exact words).

Prior to booking the Asian cruise I contacted the principal of each school and inquired about ramifications for the school and the district. Both replied in writing that they have the power to approve additional days for appropriate reasons and did "enthusiastically" approve of our plan. They asked us to meet with the teachers in September to develop on-board lesson plans.

My opinion is that the choice is highly individual and must consider the parents, the kids, the school, the teachers, and the school district policy. Our first hand experience is that we have not had a problem taking our kids out of school.

• 2 weeks later...

Calling people selfish for going on vacation?????????:confused:

thats the problem in the US, multitasking workaholics who dont use their vacation days. Everyone is healthier and happier when they vacation.

Some of us cannot afford the high prices of cruising in the summer and so what, our kids miss some school! Big deal, School is overrated.

Both of my kids teachers had NO PROBLEM with taking off during the year for a family vacation. They even do it themselves sometimes, imagine that!

bon voyage.

also depends on how well your children are doing academically. Even in JR high its been hard for my kids to catch up after missing a week. I have been called on this before by the school, even in elementary school. we need to call in EVERY DAY if our children are absent, so out at sea, you may need to have a friend or relative do this for you.

personally, I call them in sick when we go out of town. its crazy, considering that they have good grades an a repsonsible parent (as compared to some who are disruptive and whose parents couldn't care less), but its less hassle.

Good luck-

K

We took our first grader out of school this year for a week, we timed the trip just after the spring break- so he was out of school for a total of 2 back to back weeks. For me, I loved having 2 solid weeks with my kids as I work full time out side of the home. For the kids, they loved it too. We let the teacher know ahead of time (at the beginning of the school year). the teacher had my son write a daily journal and present it to the class- she also sent the weekly worksheets wuith us to complete.

I feel that he learned so much on this trip- no way would he see a humpback whale up close- swim with dolfins, touch a sting ray and eat escargot:) .

The teacher was ok with it- she was not jumping for you- I think she probally had to do a bit of extra work. I tried to be helpful on this end by suggesting the journal and offering help in the classroom. Would i do it again-

YES, most definately!

Archived