tax rate in Jamiaca

sm76

Has anyone that shopped in Montego Bay know the tax rate. We were just there and when we bought our souvenires they told me there is a

%17 tax. I was suprised how much it was! I didn't know if we can bargain or not. Even coffee was really expensive there. :D Thanks

I have been told that the GCT (sales tax) is technically 18%...however, here in Negril, we pay 16.5%...the old tax rate before the last hike a year or so back...lot's of outcry and so far it's hovering at the old rate thank God. And to think I use to moan and complain when I lived in California and it was 7.75%!!

Coffee here IS expensive..the hurricane three years ago wiped out much of the coffee plantation crops, and it's slow to rebound. In Negril, I can purchase 1 pound of ground, Jablum brand (considered to be the best of what we can buy on the island without personal contacts to buy raw beans and roast it ourselves) for $17, beans for $18. There is a little gift shop in town that charges the same price as the grocery store (prices mentioned), but without the tax, so I can get a little break there...as can anyone else, especially if buying in bulk.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you view the situation), Negril has no cruise ship pier, so unless coming here for a day outing when you land in MoBay, (a nice alternative to staying in the city) you will have to shop for comparison prices at MoBay stores.

It never hurts to ask if there's some sort of discount you can get..if they can, a store owner will take a little off...if they can't (or won't) they'll just say "no"....ask before you get to the register!!

Archived