Any Recent Spirit Mexican Riviera Cruisers?

jimjay001

Anyone recently return from a Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Carnival Spirit? We head out on March 31 from San Diego. I was interested in seeing what anyone just returning from the trip thought of it.

Search the Captain's recent posts, we got off that ship 10 days ago, you'll find I posted details of what you can do in each port of call, such as going to the fabulous LAS HADAS resort in Manzanillo using local buses for 50cents each, return!!!! Also info on Zihuatanejo and Acapulco.

Happy cruising. :)

We just returned March 15 from the Spirit. In Acapulco, we took "Rosie's Tour". She wasn't available, but her husband Arturo was. He was great. He took ourselves and another couple in a Chevie Surburban shopping, then to Johnny Weissmiller's hotel, then another historic hotel, tho vacant way up high, then toured around, then a beautiful church way up high and finally the night-time cliff divers. Anyhow, I highly reccommend them. It thought it was $30 pp, the other couple thought it was $40, so I gave him a total of $90 for a really great day. Her email is: dew_days@hotmail.com (there's an underline between dew and days). Email me for her phone numbers. There are other threads that tell more about her.

In Zwahu we took a water taxi to Los Gatos beach $3.50pp rt. Be sure and go to the yellow umbrellas - great waiter. No fee, just buy food & drinks. We snorkeled and saw mostly small fish, though slightly cloudy. In Manznillo we took a cab, $10, to Audencia Beach (public, umbrellas $8). Heavy surf but a great setting next to a beautiful resort (Tesoro). We didn't go in though.

The Spirit is gorgeous, but we gave it a 9. Entertainment & food just didn't seem to measure up to the Conquest we were on before. Service & crew were 10+. For 1000th time, the Choc Melting Cake - to die for!

We cruised on the Spirit in December and loved the cruise. Had a wrap around balcony with connecting rooms. The staff, food and cruise itself was wonderful.

Alcapolco, just went to Carlos and Charlies. Zahuateneo horseback riding through the jungle. Was very good, but loved the port so much, would have preferred just to wander around. Manzanillo took the turtle excursion and loved it. Was able to release baby turtles into the sea. Only thing lacking on the cruise was the entertainment, but the last night the talent show contest was very good. I would take this cruise again!

Enjoy

:-)

We just got off on March 15th. 2nd time on the Spirit Mexican Riviera and I must say I was a little disappointed this time. Weather was great. We could not have asked for better. But I agree with rascalcrossing regarding the food and entertainment. I would also add service. It just did not measure up to my past experience with Carnival. Waiters were great as usual but I was not impressed with room service at all this time. It almost seemed as though the ship was understaffed. Acapulco was alright. We took a 4 hr tour from one of the tour guides as you got off the ship for $25 per person. Good price and the driver was very informative. The Chapel of Peace was by far the highlight of the tour with a most spectacular view of Acapulco. Our friends later took the ship excursion to see the cliff divers and were disappointed. Zihuatanejo was by far the high light of the trip. Following recommendations of other cruise critics, we just hung out in town and took a water taxi over to a beach. If the Spirit had sailed to Zihuatanejo and parked it, bypassing Acapulco and Manzanillo, most passengers would have been happy. Everyone we met and talked too loved this place. Manzanillo was fine. We took the Cuyutlan Turtle excursion. The tour guide was very informative and we absolutely enjoyed lunch in Cuyutlan by the beach. We got back in time to take a taxi into town and do a little shopping. However it appears several passengers missed the boat home due to the time differences of the ship and mainland. All in all it was a good cruise and we met and made many new friends. But we are definitely looking forward to a 5 day stay in Zihuatanejo next year.

Archived