live from radiance of the seas!

aiolos

Wow....what a ship. We are having a blast! I need a little help....long time listener first time caller as they say.

We are stopping over the next three days at Antigua, St. Martin and St. Thomas. We are travelling with our 8 and 7 year old daughters. We want to explore on our own...no paid shore excursions.(of course realize we will pay big bucks even on our own) Definitely want to head to St. John on our St. Thomas day.

What should we do on these islands that will be fun for us and them....not opposed to beautiful beach days if that is what is best. (Love beautiful Beaches)

We don't like big boozy cruise type things....really don't like crowded places. What are the secrets?

If I can answer any specific questions about Radiance....put em down....I'll track down the answers. I'll check back this evening....THANKS EVERYONE!!

We will be doing this cruise in November so please write a review on your return...It will be our first time on a Radiance class ship...

Have a wonderful time and enjoy your time in St. Maarten (our favorite place)...We usually just go to town walk around and visit our friends in the shops:p ! Later, Jill:cool:

Have fun!!!!

Some ideas for you....

In St. Thomas we went to Coki beach and really enjoyed our time there. (It's kind of a "locals" beach though) Rentals for chairs, mats, lockers and snorkel gear are really reasonable. The water is amazing, but the beach has some litter on it. Coral World is located there also. I can't wait to go back. I would love to head to St. Johns one of these times but the cost to get back and forth always has us staying in St. Thomas.

In St. Maarten we usually shop in town. Orient Beach is nice, but too "toursity" for me....LOL We find the shopping is best in St. Maarten. We are going to head over to Maho and have lunch and watch the planes land when we are there next month. I guess there is a "bus" really a taxi van that says BUS on the lis. plate and runs between town and the beach for around $2pp each way. The bus stop is near Kmart from what I have read.

Have fun on the Radiance ;)

Aiolos,

Hope your having a great time. I will be on the Rad in 3 wks and can't wait. St. Maarten is a fun place. You can rent a car or car and driver. Consider the Butterfly farm but get there in the morning as the butterfly's are more active then. Also the port city of Maragot on the french side. There is a market there, mostly for the locals but its fun to walk thru and see all the local stuff. I you want a treat... eat in Grand Case.... there is an outdoor lunchin place there where they cook out on grills and cook chicken, lobster, etc. and homemade potato salad and plantins. Great food and an experience you will remember. :p

If you can, see if you can get the name and e-mail address of the

Concierge on the 10th floor for me. Have a wonderful time :D

Aiolos

Wow - on the ship now -- very cool (don't spend to much time on the internet -- get out on the decks and enjoy)!

I'm traveling in Nov on the Radiance and I'm addicted to Cruisecritic...I think I will learn more hear abotu the ship than some who work on it lol.

I will have a balcony cabin on the port side. IT is one that has the canopy preventing me from looking directly down to the water however my outward view is not restricted....what type of cabin are you in? IF you happen to be in a Cat E3 on the 7th deck I would love to see an eye level view on that canopy......ALSO, the ceiling pullmans -- do you have one, i suspect I will be sleeping in that and I would love to see a picture on one --- enjoy -- I'm jealous....lol....Tom:) :cool:

Aiolos, we were on Radiance in Feb. Loved it! Enjoy!

If you don't like crowds, I would avoid Orient Beach and Magen's Bay Beach - they are very crowded. We loved them both, but then we don't mind lots of people. Note that women do go topless at Orient. And there are some thongs, even on old men!

There is a little beach just around the bay from the dock at St. Maarten, and a little restaurant where you can sit upstairs on the deck and have lunch and enjoy the view of the bay, ships and beach. AND the food is fantastic - particularly the local fare! It is called Barefoot Restaurant. Shopping right there too. I guess they call the area downtown. The restaurant was recommended by our taxi driver.

In Antigua, we booked an island tour with Lawrence of Antigua which was great. At the end we had a beach stop at Turner's Beach for a few hours. It was a good day. We hit the highlights including Nelson's Dockyard. The kids might enjoy that AND it is educational. Lawrence was very informative. You will see Eric Clapton's house.

For beach days, we usually caught a taxi and hit the beach first thing when there were fewer people, and then headed back early when it started to get really crowded, to maybe shop/eat/explore nearer the ship if there was time, and to ensure we made it back to the ship on time. Gave us peace of mind that way...you never know about the traffic - the congestion gets pretty bad.

If you are doing the Nassau stop, you should check out Atlantis for the aquariums - they really are amazing. Your kids would love it. Grab a cab - You can buy a pass for the exhibits in the hotel - and a pass to use their facilities also if you want. We found the stop in Nassau was far too short!

Say hello to Gaven and Simeon - they were a riot! Don't forget to play bingo - the kids can play too!

Hi Aiolos,

We have not sail the Radiance either but will in January of next year. In fact we have not sailed on RCCL before. We have sail Princess line four times, in fact leaving on the Golden Princess in three weeks for a 8 night Mexican Riviera cruise. We are looking forward to reading more responses to you and the information you can share on your experiances. Have a wonderful cruise.

Jack and Pam

Aiolos

I'm traveling in Nov on the Radiance and I'm addicted to Cruisecritic...I think I will learn more hear abotu the ship than some who work on it lol.

:) :cool:

Hey Tom - Havn't talked to you in a while, please stop bye our meet and mingle thread and drop us a line. There is a link below.

Dave

We were on the Radiance last October, St Martins apart from shopping would get a taxi to Dawn Bay (no motorised watersports and absolutely lovely - restaurant/hotel on beach - very nice. St Thomas we went on BOB (underwater motor scooter) very very good and a lot of fun (but that was a pre booked tour) and then Magens beach pretty but very busy. Antigua expensive haggle for the taxi price - went to Turners Beach - would probably try a different beach next time

Have loads of Fun (St Maarten and St Thomas favourite destinations)

Check out Coral World in St. Thomas. We were there many years ago and there was a nice undersea observatory. Someone goes out to feed the fish so they swarm around and you get up close and personal but behind glass.

Archived