Just back from the SUN!

Deeds25

We were on that cruise, too. We really enjoyed East Meets West--great food and service--and pretty much enjoyed the main dining room every other night except for the last night. we went to the Pacific __?___ restaurant. Unfortunately we found the service and food to be sub-par, especially compared to the wonderful food and service the first 6 days of the cruise.

Also, some of the specialty restaurants booked up pretty early, so if you have your heart set on one, book early. We checked the dining room menu and then, on the two nights we weren't thrilled with it, booked the specialty restaurants.

Did anyone mention the hyptonist shows? We laughed so hard! Also thought Hey Mr. Producer was great. Don Dunn in Las Ramblas was enjoyable also.

In Santo Tomas we took the Go with Gus tour. $75 and worth it. Check out his web site (google go with gus) and, if you do the tour, you may want to take a back pack of school supplies. He'll take you to visit a school and it's a great experience. The kids and teachers really appreciate the supplies. One of the people on our tour took dozens of beanie babies and the kids loved them. Should you decide to do this, you might try to find some little paperback books in spanish to take...although the Mayan still speak their own language. We tried communicating with a lady and even a guy fluent in Spanish was at a loss.

We booked the Lamanai/New River tour through NCL for Belize. It was interesting, but a loooong bus ride and then a loooong boat ride-although the scenery was beautiful. We had engine trouble in the boat twice and I kept thinking "we booked through the cruise line, they can't leave us." Due to the problems, our lunch and ruins tour was cut a bit short and there was no time to see much of Belize City since we were one hour later than scheduled getting back.

The "hole in the fence" beach?? Was that Muhuhual (sp???) you are referring to? We caught the bus there and really enjoyed it. But it was a last minute decision and we weren't wearing swimsuits. When we got to the beach, there were massage tents set up everywhere along the beach. I think masages were $20??? I really wanted one, but since I was in regular clothes, I didn't want to flash everybody on the beach. They might have been frightened.:)

In New Orleans, we stayed at the Holiday Inn on Canal for two nights prior to the cruise. We hadn't been to NO since Katrina. The Frence Quarter is a bit quieter than I remember, but as long as you stay in the quarter, you are supposed to be safe. But the locals say don't walk around outside the French Quarter! Our hotel was $149 per night and included FREE PARKING FOR THE CRUISE. I thought that was a great deal and the room was very nice. The only drawback was the sloooow elevators. We dropped our luggage off at the pier, parked the car at the Holiday Inn, and took a cab back to the ship ($7.00 per person). Upon return there were lots of cabs at the ship and, again, it was $7.00 per person.

Now, we didn't sneak any booze on board, and saw lots of people who tried and got caught. So, Deeds, please email me your secret for our next cruise! And I'm happy to answer anyone's questions if I can. Email is ja_lynn @ comcast.net.

Have fun you lucky people who still have your cruise to look forward to!!

Jo Ann

how long was the walk to the place to start the cave tubing? I have had "two" hip replacemnts in the last 6 months and don't know if I can make a 45 mintue walk to tubing area as the NCL excursion site stated. Please advise any info would help. Our group is on the Sun NCl 4/8/07 Thanks.

Check out the cavetubing thread under Belize-a wealth of information. The walk has quite a big of up hill to it in places and if you are not used to a steady pace on uneven turf with your hips it could be aproblem!

Thanks for your answer/reply so quickly. Wife is determined to do the cave tubing thing. Since I already have "new" hips it may be time to get "new" wife. Just kidding of course. I see a compromise in the making. Like that TV commerical where that man says his wife wants a cat and he wants a dog. So they compromise and get a cat.

Archived