I Think I'm in Trouble

cuevogirl

I recommended the Legend for my boss .......The boat left late due to a medical emergencey on July 26th .....they got into SanJuan 2 hrs late .....and now are they in the middle of a torpical storm ???(Alex)LOL what luck.......omly thing better would be if they where stuck in the next storm in line ....Bonnie .....lmao which is my name :)Bonnie

Bonnie, I would not panic just yet....modern ships are equipped with high tech computer systems that not only track weather systems, but also allow them to alter the ships's itinerary to avoid inclement weather and maximize the guest's enjoyment of the cruise. Your boss may well have been re-routed on a new course to avoid the potential for a "run-in" with Tropical Storm.

So.....don't send that resume out just yet.....:D

OK my boss just called and they are getting ready to dock the boat shortly. They missed the storm and the ride home was smooth. The trip down to the islands was not so great as many of the people where holding a grudge against carnival for not compensating them more than $20.00 for the time missed (as if carnival had any control over that poor man having a heart atack)alot of people actually got off in Puerto Rico and went home. I am still waiting to hear more from her but, I will have to say that what bothered me the most is that she said the staff and the boat where great and then directly after said that alot of people had all of the tips removed from their sign and sail card. In my opinion that is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard punishing the people who worked their butts off to make your vacation a success. I'd love to hear how others feel about this issue :)Bonnie

alot of people had all of the tips removed from their sign and sail card. In my opinion that is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard punishing the people who worked their butts off to make your vacation a success. I'd love to hear how others feel about this issue :)Bonnie
I'm 100% with you, Bonnie. That is absurd. Like it was the waiter's or cabin steward's fault? It amazes me the length some cheap-@$$ people will go to "justify" reducing/removing tips. Unacceptable.

I use the pre-paid gratuities as a "base" tip.

Those who provide service above and beyond the "average" receive tips from me during the week and an envelope at the end of the cruise, based on how the individual has treated me.

A nice smile and a pleasant attitude while delivering service gets noticed, as does a frown and grumpy attitude.

To deny the tip because of something the waitstaff and stewards have no control over only hurts those who work the hardest...Carnival has insurance to cover that $20.00 per person compensation, but the staff doesn't have any "insurance" other than the pre-paid gratuities.

I'm glad to hear that things went pretty well for your boss. As to the tipping, that's terrible! We had lots of weather related problems on one of our cruises, and we never even entertained the idea of adjusting the tips downward or completely removing them. Those people must have thought they were paying back the cruiseline for not giving them more compensation, but they were only hurting the staff. :(

tef, is that you? Nice to "see" you! :) I didn't know that that was what a "curmudgeon" looked like! :D

If they have radar and stay away from storms, why did they have problems with 100 ft. waves and left ship on its side. I heard about it thinking it was impossible ,but it was true. I forget the term for leaving ship on it's side i belive it is lifted. ok somebody answer that?

I was on that cruise. It is true that many people were p****d at Carnival. It is more the attitude they had towards our inconvenience and lost vacation time. $20.00 isn't hardly enough for what we went through in two days. Things didn't get back to normal until Wednesday. We got into San Juan at 6:00pm with just enough time to walk around in the dark and go to Senor Frogs. I didn't realize that some people flew home. I assume they called Carnival on the guarantee. I am planning on writing a letter to Carnival myself. The problem is that they need to have a plan when these types of delays happen. Everything was so unorganized. But, there is no excuse for not tipping the staff. Most of them are wonderful and work very hard. Some are not as friendly as others though. They could use a class to brush up on their people skills.

I know I'm missing something here !!!!!

ok, the ship left Miami late..........got that

the ship was late into San Juan............got that

the ship ran into 100' waves and listed .....I thought I read that and then all the usual crap about tips.

WHAT ABOUT THIS SHIP LISTING OVER AND 100' WAVES ????????

I can't imagine taking off the tips over something totally out of the control of the people who would have been on the receiving end of them, for that matter it was out of the control of Carnival as a whole. They can't help it if someone is ill or the weather is bad. I'm sure these people did their best to make the passengers enjoy their cruise and to get stiffed on the tip is ridiculous in my opinion. So what if you left a little late or were a little late getting into a port. I've had both happen to me before and guess what, I still had a wonderful cruise! They shouldn't let stuff like that bother them so much, I'll take a week on the cruise ship even with the problems over a week at work anyday!

Terri

Hi:

What is unfortunate is that some people believe that because they are on a cruise ship, everything should be perfect. NOT!!

How does that old saying go: "A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work." These people need to learn that...

Fausto

Archived