~The Ultimate Carnival Beverage Thread~

KBD627

How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?

• No effect I never bring beverages on board.
    • I will strictly follow it. I follow all of carnival's rules.
    • I'm a past smuggler will now smuggle non-alcohol too.
    • I will now join the smugglers.

Hopefully if we stick together, we can stop Carnivals nonsense.

Finally. The voice of reason.

Keep in mind folks that money talks. Not spending that money talks louder.

Emails to the appropriate people expressing your displeasure also speak volumes.

If people transfer bookings to lines with more accommodating policies (are there any?) CCL will take notice.

For those of us who really do have to drink a lot of water (6 bottles a day), and sorry, but the tap water on most ships tastes terrible, I have been taking over a case of water on every cruise over the past 4 years. Yes, my DH complains every time, but I can bring on my 36 bottles for $6.00 as opposed to paying $1.00- 1.50 per bottle once on board ($36.00 - $54.00) . I'd rather spend not be running to find bottled water everytime I need it, plus I take several bottles with us when we are off the ship during the day. I have to keep hydrated due to heart issues, but I would rather not ask my cardiologist for a "note" to take on board, THAT seems ridiculous. If Carnival stands by this new policy, I certainly will avoid cruising with them again.

You are fine with a note....Cruisin...someone will disagree (as with most) but the water is very purified. However, as a heart patient it is has a much higher sodium content than your purified water that you can bring on board.

The purification process is actually aweseome but does not and can't filter out the sodium that is needed for folks that need a low sodium content water and if you are one of these folks that has a low salt diet or cruises with someone you will do wellt to just get a note and travel with it.

This entire beverage issue just annoys the you know what out of me. Here I am preparing for my first cruise, our honeymoon cruise, and this new rule pops up. My fiance calls our PVP and sure enough, after paying our final payment less than a week before, the rules change. I know they can change them whenever they feel like it but it's still obnoxious.

Why does it bother me? I have IBS. I have had it for the last 7+ years and I finally got the guts up to cruise. Any water that isn't bottled outside of my hometown gives me issues. I can't even drink the water out of the tap in the new place I am living. I went to my gastro doc to ask any advice before booking: first phrase, whatever you do, don't drink the water. :rolleyes:

Called Carnival, talked to 3 different people. Now I have to fill out forms for them and have my doctor send a note. I had no idea cruising would be such a pain..lol Before anyone asks, no... I am not cheap. I have no problem purchasing a bottle of water here and there. In 80+ degree temperatures, with my stomach being as it is, it would cost me a fortune just to remain hydrated.

Sorry for ranting. On a positive note, does anyone know of the beverages they do NOT add water to? (stuff that comes straight from the tap and doesn't have the ship water mixed in?)

Teresa

I'll let ya'll know how this whole Customer Access thing works out!

I just fired a very intemperate e-mail off to B Dickie and Vince Vance GullyBoy. After the extreme nonsense of the F-Deck change, I did not pull any punches. The nerve of the guy to cast stones at other people - who just happen to be paying his salary - given his wife's recent problems with booze.

I wonder what Mickey Arison - the REAL owner of Carnival - thinks of his management team?

Unless this line wises up and treats its customers with respect and deference, they have seen the last of my vacation dollars.

Can anyone recommend a line that actually has Fun Ships?

I just fired a very intemperate e-mail off to B Dickie and Vince Vance GullyBoy. After the extreme nonsense of the F-Deck change, I did not pull any punches. The nerve of the guy to cast stones at other people - who just happen to be paying his salary - given his wife's recent problems with booze.

I wonder what Mickey Arison - the REAL owner of Carnival - thinks of his management team?

Unless this line wises up and treats its customers with respect and deference, they have seen the last of my vacation dollars.

Can anyone recommend a line that actually has Fun Ships?

I am sorry but I just don't see what his wife's problems with alcohol have to do with not being allowed to bring water or soda on the ships? Does she work for Carnival too? And is she making these decisions while drinking? Then why mention it? Your not holding your punches back, your just aiming at everyone. :(

It is the bean counters but they are being soo bloody stupid. Charge a decent price or give passengers a self service option (a store in which they can buy their own stuff with out the 15% gratuity) and guess what passengers won't feel the need to bring onbord and will buy from the cruise lines. Cruiselines however got greedy and are trying to get rich quick!!

Cruiselines listen!!! Be reasonable in your pricing and you will sell more without catching the bad publicity. If people get the feeling they are getting ripped off they are just not going to buy no matter what you are threatening.

Being reasonable with non alcoholic beverages might also have the one or other passenger rethink his or her Alcohol consumption - we found this to be very much more on Carnival than on any other cruiseline we have sailed on during spring break!!! There were soo many more drunks around I began understanding why Carnival has soo many acidents with drunks...

I agree with Moeve - if cruiselines dropped their prices of soda and bottled water, cruisers would be less likely to carry on board. The fountain soda is awful on cruiseships and sometimes the cruiseship water is questionable as well. If they could sell their cans of soda for less than $1.65 per can (and bottled water cheaper as well), I'd be less likely to even want to carry on board.

Alrighty- there have been numerous threads and messages with people quite dismayed that they can't bring water and soda onboard. I have shook my head with amusement at most of them. WEll, maybe I am "missing the boat", I am on my first cruise this week. Out of all the messages, I still do not know how much drinking water and soda will cost. A couple of questions that may be Pride specific.

1. If I buy the soda card, does that cover soda AND water?

2. How much does a bottle of water cost and how much does a 16 oz. soda cost?

I guess I may be in for some big charges that I have been downplaying in my mind. If I spend $80-$100 on soda and water for the Mrs. and I, all will be cool...

Actually, the soda card is for soda and juice at any bar. The sodas on Pride are Coke products and they are canned. They open the cans and pour the soda into a glass of ice for you. You may not have the can to take the rest with you as they do not want you sharing. Bottled Water is still extra and they have two different sizes. They sell it cold when you are getting off the ship in port. Buy your soda card the day you get on the ship, and use it to your hearts content. $50pp basically so you know you would be happy having spent that you said. Water in a glass you can get at all times. Have fun! We loved that cruise!

due to my "zipper club" probs, I must drink lots of water..I can be seen on Holiday with my BIG Orange "Bubba Keg"..and I take it ashore , so water is an issue with me....and I dont drink soda!..and my cardiologist would laff his a** off if I requested a permission slip to bootleg water..I'm 62..and allll grown up now. Never been asked to give up my waters, but I'll gladly show and tell my 9 meds..ie; take with water...drink lots of water with the med..etc etc etc., but I do buy appel-tinis at the bar.....nuff said

From Carnival this morning:

Carnival Cruise Lines now prohibits passengers from bringing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages onboard, including bottles of water, Carnival said.

The cruise line updated its liquor and beverage policy this week and said that aside from an allowance which enables passengers to bring "one bottle of wine or champagne per person (21 years and older) on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise ... any additional quantity of wine/champagne or any alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation."

As to why the policy was changed, Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said guests had been bringing on too many nonalcoholic beverages.

"There had been some abuse of the previous policy which is why the new policy is more restrictive," he said.

Carnival also said that, "alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage."

ANd from their FAQ right now:

Can I Bring Liquor On Board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club.

Any additional quantity of wine/champagne or any alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages on board the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship’s gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

New News big duck. You can no longer bring on your own bottled water...sodas...etc. Buy a bottle at the pier for the tender ride back--pitch it before getting back on the boat!

New for you maybe, we have been disussing this for over a week. ;)

Sorry for ranting. On a positive note, does anyone know of the beverages they do NOT add water to? (stuff that comes straight from the tap and doesn't have the ship water mixed in?)

To my knowledge there are no free beverages on board that are not mixed with water. In your situation, I would def get that Dr's note and bring your own water! Good Luck! Happy Cruising!

I was just treated as rude as I have ever been treated in my life by someone at at Carnival . I called to ask about the water ban as I am sure most everyone has and I know she was sick of hearing it but she didnt have to be rude.

I called and explained that I cant have water that is not purified and low sodium due to a stomach condition and that I had asked that if I could bring water on board when I paid for the curise and they said no problem. Well she went off on me !

"well things change and I am getting tired of you people calling here all day and night for the last 2 days to ask us about it . IT is not Carnival it is Homeland Security , the sent us a letter saying we are not allowed to let anyone bring any liqiuds on the boat!"

When I asked her why that was she said

"BEcause someone somewhere must have brought something on board to make a bomb in a bottle "

I ask her if you could still bring wine on board and she said

"Well of course you can 1 bottle per person! That has not changed"

I told her that was strange how the stuff you could put in a wine bottle cant make a bomb

She cut me off told me to buy soda on the ship and dont drink the water, I told her I cant have soda either that I dont drink anything other then water . She HUNG up on me !

I called back and am now waiting for a supervisor to call me back , I will be looking into those Britta filters to take on board but I can tell you this . I dont think this is a GOOD 1s cruise expierence .

Before anyone jumps on me I am not cheap , I am not being a little butt head because I am not getting my way .I am upset because she hung up on me when I question the outright lie she told me about the bomb .

I can think of a ton of other Cruise lines that I can go on and buy ON SHIP something other then Spring Water because that is all Carnival has onboard.

Oh when I talked to the 2nd person she said she would send me a letter to have my internal medicine Doctor fill out and that I could have to carry that with me when I had my own bottle of water out LOL

Archived