Dining question

love vacations

Its been about 2 1/2 weeks since my first Oceania cruise, and I am still thinking about the food on board. It was truly amazing.

Before the cruise, I looked online at the Menus and was very excited about the specialty restaurants. My plan was to use my 4 reservations early on, and see if I could get more later in the trip. I must say, Polo Grill was fantastic. Toscana was very good, but in my opinion, not on par with Polo. However, I was truly impressed with the Grand Dining Room. Every night the menu was varied and truly excellent. We ended up not even trying for another Specialty restuarant.

The Lobster Bisque at Polo was great. But I think I had Lobster/Seafood Bisque twice at the Grand Dining Room, and it was great as well.

If in the mood for a very good burger at lunch , do not forget to check out Waves.

For the first night, why not check out the Grand Dining room menu posted outside on Deck 5? If there is nothing that really appeals to you, then that might be a good night to try Toscana or Polo. Their menus are the same throughout the cruise - never changing.

If you do make reservations at either - you can always cancel and go to the GDR at a moment's notice....

I've been told that everyone flocks to the GDR on the first night, saving precious reservations in Polo/Toscana for later on, so service can be slow. Hasn't been my experience and I agree with previous posters who say food in GDR is excellent. An overlooked option for the first night's dinner is Tapas on the Terrace, especially if you embark in a sunny spot as we do from Rome next week. We'll end up in the Baltic where we are not expecting much outdoor dining weather. Forget preconceptions about buffet food because everything on O is good. Tapas is the most casual of all dining venues and makes sense for the first night when you are dragging from jet lag and don't want to change into your fancy duds. Bottom line, O prides itself on cuisine and you can't really go wrong. And don't forget to wrap up your meal with the complimentary capucchino.

Mo, those of us on the Regatta Rome/Baltic cruise next week have arranged a no-host welcome party for ourselves at 6:00 PM in the Horizons Lounge. Please invite your local TA to come and join us. The more the merrier.

Archived