should we do Hawaii?

crowleychick

Our first cruise was last year on the Grand Princess and loved it. For our second, we were looking at doing the Hawaii thing in and out of Honolulu. I keep reading that there is a difference between NCL and NCLA. I've been looking over this board and starting to get concerned. What are the differences? Is one ship better than the other? These vacations don't come easily for us, so I want to be sure and book a good one. Do you suggest we look for somewhere else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Our first cruise was last year on the Grand Princess and loved it. For our second, we were looking at doing the Hawaii thing in and out of Honolulu.
We just did Hawaii on the POAm and loved it...probably one of our two favorite cruises...

You might check the Hawaii link on this board and get lots of threads about cruising in the Islands, ship comparisons, etc.

To see some photos of our cruise there in Feb, just click on the "Pictures" link at the bottom of my signature.

One of the best way to see Hawaii is by cruising with Free style cruising, no rush, no set meal time, you can do most of activities as you please. You can visit every islands without flying. You can just get off the ship, rent a car and drive to see places as you please, no need to buy option tours. We love our Hawaii trip with NCL and will take it again in the near future.

Enjoy your trip :cool:

I think you will love Hawaii. Just be aware that you are sailing with an American crew, which is somewhat slower in the main dining rooms. Plan on dining for two plus hours instead of dining in less than two hours. Enjoy the ports and the islands.

If you put it all into prospective by remembering that you are there primarily to see Hawaii then you will be fine. Because this cruise is so port intensive the ships are secondary and are usuallly considered a floating hotel. Focusing on why you are going to Hawaii in the first place will help one to overlook the minor inconveniences that will occur on board the ship.

Mac:) :) :)

We just did Hawaii on the POAm and loved it...probably one of our two favorite cruises...

You might check the Hawaii link on this board and get lots of threads about cruising in the Islands, ship comparisons, etc.

To see some photos of our cruise there in Feb, just click on the "Pictures" link at the bottom of my signature.

I just loved your photos. Just one question, is the pineapple plantation now open to the public. Last time I was there (90's) all you could see was a film about it.

I too had read all the negativity about this cruise and now I am looking forward to it.

We did the 7 day cruise on the Pride of America in December 2005 and hope to go again in December 2007 - still have not decided on which ship, though I think we are leaning toward the Pride of Hawaii (we did the Star to Mexico this year - the nicest ship I have been on - and the POH looks very similar). It is a wonderful Itinerary and gives you plenty of time to see the islands. We opted for a balcony room last time. I will say it does not make a whole lot of difference what type of room you get. If you are like us you will not be in it much, there is just too much to do and see, and 99% of the sailing time is while you are sleeping. If you do go and don't want to book your excursions through the ship - make sure you have rental car reservations in each port. We found Thrifty gave us really good deals and they have buses that run from the dock all day. If you arrive with no reservation, you will probably not get a car. As for the service, we had also read some horror stories before leaving. We had one night that we had an insane 2 hour wait to get into the main dining room, but otherwise we had no problems. Have fun!!

I too just got home from the Wind on the 16th and had a great time. Loved it, loved it, loved it! I had also heard alot of negative stuff and was worried but had no problems. Like everyone says just go with an open mind and relax and enjoy. Cruising is also the best way to see alot of the Islands and then if you decide you really like one you can vacation there next time.

We did Pride of America last summer and had a great time. We think Princess is better in terms of food, and we don't really like freestyle cruising (we prefer the Princess/Royal Carrib way), but if you go to Hawaii and have a bad time it's your fault. There is so much great stuff to see and do, you'll have a terrific time!

If you have a party of six or more you can get reservations in the main dining room, and we recommend that, particularly for Lobster night. If you don't have that, they won't give you a table. It's one reason why we're taking along 7 this time in June.

Book a cruise on Pride of America or Aloha. The crews are American and are not nearly as solicitous as the foreign crews, but you'll still have a great time.

:)

I think you will love Hawaii. Just be aware that you are sailing with an American crew, which is somewhat slower in the main dining rooms. Plan on dining for two plus hours instead of dining in less than two hours. Enjoy the ports and the islands.

Ditto! That's the only real issue we had. And the itinerary more than made up for it.

Keep in mind the American crews are paid a American wage not so dependent upon tips, whereas the International crews are dependent upon tips and not paid a American wage under American labor laws.

I think this is a good point. What the non-US crews make in wages is a pittance, and they are not protected by the Jones Act. The US crews enjoy better federal protection and better conditions generally.

They are not as service-oriented, I don't think, but I've always enjoyed the cruise a great deal.

Archived