seasick meds for kids?

We're going on our first cruise with our five year old son next week. I'm planning to get some bonine for DH and I, what do folks do for kids or are they less sucsceptible? We're doing a full day deep sea fishing trip the day before we sail, I'm more concerned about that day than I am the ship. I got seasick on a similar trip when I was 10 and was miserable. Any insight appreciated!

For someone that young, the best advise would be check with your doctor...

My guess would be your son would be the only one NOT to get sick...and then go tell all his pre school friends about how mommy did...hehehehe :eek:

I will first say check with your doctor. It is better to be safe. But you also need to be prepared, nothing will ruin your cruise faster than a seasick child.

Our son's first cruise was when he was 6 and since we had had previous experience with motion sickness with his brother I did not want to take the chance so our doc said he could take 1/2 bonnine each day. He had no side affects at all and never got sick either.

Have a great cruise!

Bev

While I have yet to actually sail on a cruise ship, I spend over half of the year out on a 210' ship. The ride is generally pretty rough, but you get used to it. When I new seaman reports aboard, they get a little sick, sometimes very sick.

In general I don't think you can really feel the seas on a cruise ship, but here's some of the stuff we do on a 210' cutter.

1. HYDRATE, especially if your losing your lunch often.

2. EAT, hitting rough seas on an empty stomach doesn't feel good, even for old salts.

3. If you feel like your getting sick, grab something you can throw up in, find your way above decks, get your face in the wind and look at the horizon. Give your body something to zero in on. The horizon won't be moving so that's a save bet.

4. If you do throw up, and you feel like doing it over the side, make sure no one is below you and DO NOT DO IT ON THE WINDWARD SIDE.

As far as medication goes, on my ship we have anything from a patch to shots. A patch doesn't take much out of you, but its debatable how much it actually works.

Tell yourself you won't get sick, have of that stuff is mental. Convince yourself your fine, and then let your body catch up.

I'm not a huge fan of coming around Hatteras, but sometimes people will just get sick. As miserable as sea sickness is, eventually is should pass.

Unless you're in 20-30 ft seas (I don't know how often cruise ships aim for those seas), the motion should be minimal (or atleast that's what I'm guessing).

Good luck!

We just discovered that Bonine has a childrens formula, it is chewable and comes in a small blue box, check your local pharmacy, I'm am not sure of the dosage for young children, my 17 year old takes it becuase he can't swallow pills of any kind, also years ago Dramamine made a liquid formula I always had to have the pharmacist order it only because it wasn't popular enough for them to keep a full stock, I gave it to my son when he was 4, as he had terrible motion sickness. Hope this helps, Have a great cruise.

Archived