id like to ditch my cabin steward

robbyxoxo

Seriously, if you cant keep a bathroom sensible for 5 days there is something wrong with you. I/we clean our bathroom once a week, not because its disgusting but we like to keep it sanitary and fresh. We could easily go 2 weeks without cleaning it and you couldnt tell a difference. We arent messy people, we dump the trash, and I guess we must not do whatever the heck some of you do that warrant a daily scrubbing.

I plan on tipping my guy/gal the recommended unless the job is poor/excellent and adjust accordingly. But I am not going to condemn a guy simply because he thinks he doesnt need to be babied all week long with mints and a toilet he can eat out of.

As for the spring breakers who poo and pee all over the place, uhh, I dunno :D I am sure they would get charged a higher fee for doing that kind of stuff.

Have you thought, if you asked for no steward for the week, that they may require you to wipe everything down at least once or twice a day. This would be required to make sure the salt air does not ruin any wood in the cabin. Couldn't you just see the cabins if a couple of people said they didn't want a room steward and then didn't wipe anything down for the whole week? What about the mold and mildew that would create stains on the shower walls? I have thought about asking for no room steward, but then I thought about how well the ship is maintained. You know how to keep your own house livable, but would you let someone live there a week at a time and not require them to do some cleaning.

Just out of curiousity...Did you ever ask a cruiseline if you can even do this?

I know your wife wouldn't let you but don't you think that if you wanted an answer to this question, it would be better coming from the company your cruising with? Just a thought.

I know that's what you want to know but did you send an email to Carnival or whoever to find out if you can? We don't work for Carnival so obviously we can only post our opinions but not hard facts. May I suggest you do that and then you can let us know if you can or not.

Seriously, if you cant keep a bathroom sensible for 5 days there is something wrong with you. I/we clean our bathroom once a week, not because its disgusting but we like to keep it sanitary and fresh. We could easily go 2 weeks without cleaning it and you couldnt tell a difference. We arent messy people, we dump the trash, and I guess we must not do whatever the heck some of you do that warrant a daily scrubbing.

Cleaning the bathroom is a small part of the cleaning... if someone decides they don't want to use the steward (not that they will allow you to do that), then my problem would mainly be smelling them at dinner after having dried from a shower with towels that had been used over and over, damp then dry, ICK!!! GROSSS!!!!!!! Also, I say that if a person wishes to do this, the cabin steward should have no responsibility to clean the room prior to you getting it... if you need extras in your basket, sorry.... ran out of soap? tough. Need ice? Call room service and wait for it. Spilled something on the sheets? Wash them in the sink. Misplaced your key and need to get in? Go to the pursers desk. Really, they are there to help you and to help insure a good trip, why in the world would someone want to deny their service? I could care less about a towel animal, mints or any of that... but I like not having to make my bed, clean my own sheets, vacuum, etc... for a week! FYI, my BF was very sick and we asked the steward not to come one day... without asking, he brought me a load of towels and washcloths, a couple packs of Bonine, offered any extras we needed, filled our ice, and offered to come in his off time to clean the cabin... He earned his entire weeks tip in that very moment....

Halos, I have to completely agree with you - I was thinking of posting the same thing you said,

This is the same person saying that the Carnival Clientele is beneath him??

What's the saying - Cleanliness is Next to Godliness? ;)

I've traveled on RCCL extensively and I'll be able to tell you when I get back in two weeks but I think Carnival will be just as nice.

Bottom line is, I think it should be considered part of the cruise experience. Then again I am traveling with my two boys so having a cabin steward is a no brainer, I love coming back to a clean cabin!!

robby...robby...robby (shaking my head) LOL

You are one of a kind. At least you are keeping it real to your way of thinking. Sometimes you have folks who will act like they are all that, and will be the first to "stiff" someone. If I were in this business, I would rather a person be up front about it. So find out if you can do it, and maybe they can give this room steward another cabin. Hopefully it will work out for you (and them) if you decide to do this.

GoinCruisin....i did say that the ONE thing i would need would be fresh towels every other day or so....but thats an easy task to go grab my own as they are passing in the hallway......i really dont see ever needing anything else....some people are needy....some people are very SELFsufficient.....i rarely need or ask for favors.....so its no diff on a cruise...after 11 cruises ive never had the need for any special favs from a steward......i doubt that will change.....i know they are there to serve and to help make ur cruise an enjoyable one...and most do it well...and most passengers use and enjoy their service....Im just not one of those people that needs it.....i never need anything in their freebie basket......and if the soap dispenser is anywhere near full to start with, id never need a refill.................so now all i have to do is call Carnival and ASK......ok can someone ELSE here call and ask?:)...im kinda shy about these sorta thangs lol.......im a piece of work....ha..:)

LMAO Goincruisin NOOOO WAYYYY lol....omg...they still think im "normal" over there!....lets not tarnish me over there too!:)..............so how is the room steward service any different from the services performed at the salon?.....if i dont want a massage or haircut, or whatever, why would i be obligated to go there and spend money on an unwanted service?............and im still hanging on to the last shred of class that i claim to have that seperates me from many Carnival passengers lol.....

Halos!....im not denying that discussing this with others takes some bravery lol.....and it certainly would fall under the Walmarty kinda thang to do.....but still different from the kinda lack of class that i usually refer to......my lack of class would always be well hidden from public knowledge.....but now when someone is wearing jean shorts in the pool, its kinda hard to hide............

So, let me get this straight....it's OK to be class-less if no one sees it?

Robby sweetie, you disappoint me.

FYI, my BF was very sick and we asked the steward not to come one day... without asking, he brought me a load of towels and washcloths, a couple packs of Bonine, offered any extras we needed, filled our ice, and offered to come in his off time to clean the cabin... He earned his entire weeks tip in that very moment....

Dear GOD, I want to be rich and live on a cruise ship!!!

Robby, since you hate Carnival so much and are so revved up to go on Celebrity, how about posting this same topic over there? Come on, go for it! I dare you!

LOL!

GC, you are freakin' awesome!!!

Halos lol...yessss!...as long as u keep the lack of class behind closed doors and in ur cabin!....we all are freaks behind closed doors:)........but out in public its always nice to put on ur flashy threads and keep a bright smile and use the manners that mama showed ya:)........and its not like im stiffing anyone out of money earned.....u work, u get paid....u dont work, u dont get paid.....i kinda like that system.....go clean someone elses room is all im sayin:).....mine is fine and will remain so for the next 7 days:)

Bottom line Robby, this is nothing like the salon... Carnival includes the cleaning of your room and everything that goes along with it, you should tip the person doing so accordingly, period. Maybe Carnival will come up with some new ships that will fit everyone, some examples would be:

The Whitetrash

The Doublewide

The Tightwad

Robby, I knew you would never post this over on Celebrity, they would ban you from the line! LOL! And look, even us low class Carnival-ites find this below us! LOL! Who'da thunk it? :eek:

Robby reminds me of Johnny Rotten from Survivor. So frustrating yet you can't stop yourself from watching! :D
((Edited because my comment would have blatantly violated CC guidelines.)) :eek:

Robby, You aren't the only one out there who busts it for a living. Cruising doesn't come cheap and easy for me either but i would never dream of not tipping my cabin steward.

Don't look now but you pay taxes for services you don't use.

You pay for lots of things you don't use. Why focus in on the meager wages of some hard working cabin steward? Because you can....?

Character is what you exhibit when no one is looking.

Why not just put the do not disturb sign on the door when you first walk into the cabin and leave it there all week. On a side note there was a thread about a week or so ago about posting style. Your's would win the category discussed hands down. I know what you should do with that extra $50 but I will keep it to myself.

First off, a disclaimer ot two- I have yet to go on my first cruise. I am also notoriously sloppy, and look forward to having someone clean up the room.

But... I can see the point being made here. If you don't want the service, why pay for it? Backin the day when there were still 'full-serve' lanes at gas stations, would anyone have wanted to pay the attendant if they were in the 'self-serve' lane? Not me.

As far as the rest of it- the end of cruise cleaning, what else the room stewards are responsible for cleaning etc..., they add interesting elements to the discussion, but to me, it all boils down to this: Why pay for a service you don't want?

Makes sense to me. But I still plan on being pampered as much as possible. :)

Robby you mentioned in your original post that you would like to have clean towels 2-3 times that week. Would you tip then? What about at the end of the cruise when the steward has to clean up after you for the next passengers? I would think you should definitely tip. Also what about if during the cruise, you ran out of toilet paper? Soap perhaps? Do you use the shampoo dispenser in the shower? Do you by chance smoke? Need an ashtry? Need it emptied out? Never need any ice? Ever? You sure? What if you need an extra blanket because it's a little too chilly in the room? Or an extra pillow? These are also services provided by your cabin steward.

It's probably a good thing your wife will get the final sayso on this matter. LOL :D Sometimes husbands have blinders on when it comes to these kind of things. :D You'd be surprised how dirty a cabin can get by the end of the cruise, especially the bathroom with all those nasty unseen germs running around. :eek:

Archived