braid disaster

niagaracruisers

we just came back from the march break cruise @ magica. the ship was stunning. we all had a fabulous time despite the drunken teenagers - from our point of view the crew handled them VERY well but then we didn't have any teens on our floor.

RE BRAIDS: my daughter wanted braids but on the first islands of cozumel, grand cayman & jamaica we ran out of time. so @ Grand Turk we found someone to do it. apparently this woman did not have a licence to be working where she was amongst the shops although all the shopkeepers seemed to know & support her. therefore she hid in an alleyway between buildings braiding hair. that should have been a major warning sign for me but other girls had their hair done by her & seemed happy so i thought it would be ok. unfortunatley she had no supplies other than elastics - no beads (but someone did finally bring us some). & had nothing to put in the hair to make it braid neatly (ie beeswax or whatever they use). therefore the job was fairly messy with tufts of hair sticking out. plus she didn't use foil on the ends. on top of that although we had negotiated for her to do the whole head for $40 (she didn't speak hardly any english) she thought she was done once she had braided only the top & started arguing - wanting more $$$. she ended up doing her whole head but was not happy about it & didn't do a very nice job. my daughter was teary through the whole thing - but wanted it done so put up with it - it looked ok but half the braids fell out the next day & my friends & i had to fix them.

SO BEWARE: if you want braids - the best were done @ cozumel. some girls got it @ jamaica but not the best job either.

although grand turk was a beautiful beach & the kids had a great time - the hair braid incident put a damper on mine & my daughters day.

In a quick search on cruisecritic postings I found the most recent complaint of someone getting head lice when having their hair braided was Oct 17th, 2005. If someone has verifiable information I encourage posting. Certainly many more persons have suffered from virus outbreaks aboard ships in this period. I agree we need to be careful and take reasonable cautions but the last post sure sounds like fear mongering to me. Just one guys opinion.

Anything else to do on Grand Turk??

Hi..we had planned to rent a skooter...got scared as they drive on the opposite side. We then took a return cab to downtown...$4.00 each return. Wish we had done it earlier, as the roads would have been simple to follow...oh well...next time. We enjoyed downtown..as locals to talk to. Did not fine a bar but did find the liqour store...you have to ask. They put your beer in a little brown bag, and you can drink it anywhere. Less commercialized shopping down there...but we did not buy anything. The rest of the island as yet it unspoiled by the cruise ships...wish it would stay that way. Diamonds International etc...is not my idea of shopping. I would much rather help the locals.:) :)

Anything else to do on Grand Turk??

We just returned from Grand Turk last Friday on the Magica. It is a wonderful port. We had planned to go into town but enjoyed the pool, beach and Margariteville so much we stayed there. It is similar to Costa Maya in Mexico but newer with a much nicer beach. The pool is fabulous and even with the Westerdsam sharing chairs, there were enough to go around. I would choose this port again for a great place to relax.:)

Archived