Vancouver restaurant recommendations

I have been to Vancouver several times but not in the last 4 years. I am looking for restaurant recommendations based on the following criteria

- downtown location (within 30 minute walking distance from Canada Place)

- non chain restaurant

- high quality food in a pleasant setting

- reasonably priced

- somewhere that probably doesn't advertise in the flashy expensive tourist publications

- somewhere that locals go because it is just simply a terrific meal with great service at a reasonable price

I know that these places are out there, it is just a matter of finding them

Thanks in advance for your recommendations. Menu suggestions are welcomed also

I spent a chunk of my life in Vancouver, most of my family is there, and I get up there often. The restaurants I really like that seem to fit your criteria, and that I can certify my Vancouver relatives frequent, are:

1. Hy's (mentioned above). Great steaks, elegant and low-key, great service. I was about 10 when I had my first restaurant prime rib there. It's on Hornby, an easy walk from Canada Place.

2. For seafood, which Vancouver is known for, I like two places. Joe Fortes (just off Robson), the upstairs oyster bar is very popular with the downtown financial crowd during cocktail hour. A little quieter is Cardero's, which is probably the furthest from Canada Place but still less than a 30 minute walk. It's by the Westin Bayshore Inn, and overlooks the yacht basin. While Joe Fortes gets alot of tourists as well as locals due to its location, Cardero's is very local and probably is the closest to what you're looking for.

3. Cactus Club - several Vancouver locations, one is on Robson I think around Bute. Maybe not what you're looking for as a dinner choice, it's a little trendy with a sort of pan-asian lean. You might consider it for lunch - I try not to miss it!

My wife and I will be eating in at least three of these four when we are in Vancouver in June (not enough time to hit all four)!

If you get a chance try the Cannery. It's on the docks and serves the best seafood of anywhere we have ever been. When we want a truly great meal we head for the Cannery. Or catch the seabus (it's right next to Canada Place) and go over to Lonsdale Quay for real traditional west coast food. Or you can go the other way and wander over to Granville Island where there are several waterfront restaurants. Plus if you're walking you can ride those cute little water taxi - busses that cross False Creek.

I have been to Vancouver several times but not in the last 4 years. I am looking for restaurant recommendations based on the following criteria

- downtown location (within 30 minute walking distance from Canada Place)

- non chain restaurant

- high quality food in a pleasant setting

- reasonably priced

- somewhere that probably doesn't advertise in the flashy expensive tourist publications

- somewhere that locals go because it is just simply a terrific meal with great service at a reasonable price

I know that these places are out there, it is just a matter of finding them

Thanks in advance for your recommendations. Menu suggestions are welcomed also

I've been reluctant to answer, so far, because of your stipulation of "reasonably priced". It means different things to different people. What is your definition of reasonably priced?

Just a caution: A couple of the restaurants mentioned (notably Hy's and The Cannery) are definitely on the "high end" pricewise by most people's definition.

I like Cardero's for what I'd call reasonably priced. Also Bin 941 on Davie near Burrard. There's Hon's Wun Tun if you like good, inexpensive Chinese food and you don't mind decor that's strictly utilitarian and service to match.

It might also help to know what type of food you like. Vancouver's full of really excellent ethnic restaurants.

I've been reluctant to answer, so far, because of your stipulation of "reasonably priced". It means different things to different people. What is your definition of reasonably priced?

I have the same difficulty

Just a caution: A couple of the restaurants mentioned (notably Hy's and The Cannery) are definitely on the "high end" pricewise by most people's definition.

True

I like Cardero's for what I'd call reasonably priced. .

I agree But it can be noisy (just a real busy place)

Thanks to all who responded. I agree with elle52 that "reasonably priced" is a very personal thing. Based on the websites for the restaurants recommended, we will try out Cardero's for sure and probably try a couple of the others.

Thanks again for the input and may your travels be wonderful!

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed in a downtown hotel and walked to three different restaurants just off Robson Street. We had excellent food and service at all three. We recommend:

Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House - The halibut was superb. Let your waiter recommend an oyster selection. The oysters were the best I have ever eaten, and I grew up near the Chesapeake Bay! This is also the most pricey, but we felt it was worth the cost.

Milestones - great salads, steaks and seafood. We had a late lunch here and really enjoyed it.

The Keg Steakhouse - excellent filet, prime rib. A chain restaurant - also found on Granville Island.

JMHO

LL

Rodney's Oyster house for Oysters

The Cannery for location and Seafood

Milestones, Earls or Cactus Club for generic trendy local fare Milestones is also good for brunch on weekends.

Shiru Bay Chopstick Cafe (Yale Town) for great fusion (favorite with the locals)

Tropika on Robson is Better than Banana Leaf

for Thai you cant go wrong with Sala Thai

For a inexpensive chines es dinner Hon's on Robson is the best bet. It the Denny's of Chinese eateries, but the food is good and the pot stickers are wonderful. It is also great for vegetarian food. Fine Dining Chinese or dim sum would be Kirin, or Sun Sui Wah, or if you can make it into Richmond The Fisherman's Terrace is very good - if you make it to Richmond Daiso (a Japanese $2 store is worth walking through) The Tea house and Norther Delicacy are also good as is the Tropika on the main floor.

Le Regelade in West Vancouver for the best french bistro (call ahead - it is always packed -even on week nights) Dishes are homey comfort food, and generous portions - and the Halibut quenelle is amazing. The also have more nightly specials than dishes on the menu.

Cafe Artigiano (there are a few locations) for the most beautiful lattes and capuchinos

Senses on Georgia and Howe for the best chocolate cookie ever (its called the chocolate sparkle)

Diva at the Met has the best deserts although Death By Chocolate is not bad either.

For fine dining Lumier is great ($$$) but if you don't need the presentation Feenies (Right next door) is just as tasty and not as painful to pay for.

Vijis is wonderful - but so is Rangoli and you don't have to wait as long for a table.

IMO the best Greek is Stepho's on Davie - well worth the line up

And I have heard the Elbow Room on Davie is great for Breakfast -as long as you don't expect "polite" service

Archived