Airport Transfer in NY

alibeth918

Hi -

I leave in 1 week for my 8 day carribean and we return into NY. It'll be $160 for my family of 4 transfer via Cunard from the ship to the airport. I'm debating on purchasing that or taking 2 cabs? I'm sure we'll have too much luggage for 1 cab unless we find a mini van and those are probably in high demand. Does anybody know if I'm better off $$ wise by taking 2 cabs to the airport? Or is it just much easier to take the cunard transfer? Please help I need to book my transfer if we are going to do that.

Thanks.

Ali

Use a car service. You can book a mini van and they charge much less than Cunard does. I am on the same cruise and have booked a van through Carmel. They charge $60 plus toll and tip. This is for 4 adults and 1 infant.

Last time I was in NY (January) I took a trip from the Waldorf to JFK. Cheap as chips, at least to anyone who has used London cabs.

I think I landed up giving him $50. That was for me, solo.

Cunard rely on you wanting the easy option. But you may well find that you land up on a tour of NY as part of a transfer. Happened to me the first time I went.

This time I just snoozed in the foyer of the Waldorf, and tried not to look to untidy!

Matthew

I used the Cunard transfer to JFK last year. Good thing for me I had a mid-afternoon flight. They loaded the first bus and I got a seat on the second bus and we sat for a hour at the pier before we left for the airport. It was over 2 hours from the time I left the ship till I arrived at the airport and mine was one of the first airline stops. Never again. I'll take a cab.

use a car service. The cabs are easy from the airport but going back they can be hard to find. I use a local car service Arecibo- they are right near the port. 7187836465 Carmel has a website with coupons. Cabs to Manhattan from JFK are fixed at $45.00 plus toll and tip. Not so to Brooklyn its meter plus tip(there shouldn't be a toll from Kennedy) but depending on traffic and the way they go it could be more than $45.00 take the car service let them meet you both ways. It will be less expensive nicer cars and faster....IMO...

Thanks jonmar - I just checked that out and it looks like that may work other than we have a 5 and a 3 year old and are not travelling with car seats - I have no idea if they are allowed to ride in the minivan without the seats. On the phone they said the 3 year old did have to have a car seat. However I believe our travel agent said the kids could travel in a taxi without the car seats. How though do I know what time to have him pick us up? I have a 1:00 flight and am going to Laguardia not JFK. I was quoted $55 for the transfer from Carmel. Are there an abundance of taxi's at the peir if we decide to go that route?

Ali

Thanks jonmar - I just checked that out and it looks like that may work other than we have a 5 and a 3 year old and are not travelling with car seats - I have no idea if they are allowed to ride in the minivan without the seats. On the phone they said the 3 year old did have to have a car seat. However I believe our travel agent said the kids could travel in a taxi without the car seats. How though do I know what time to have him pick us up? I have a 1:00 flight and am going to Laguardia not JFK. I was quoted $55 for the transfer from Carmel. Are there an abundance of taxi's at the peir if we decide to go that route?

Ali

No cabs at the Port will be difficult. the zcruise terminal has a comtract with a car service for limos but they will be at least 50% more expensive than Carmel...or any of the local car services. A cab to LGA is in the $35.00 range...its only 11 miles. Without traffic its 20 minutes with traffic an hour is possible.

I just called them and they advised they do not provide car seats. They also advised that New York Law requires them but that it is 'between you and the driver'. I said, 'look am I going to show up and be told "no car seat??? you're on your own buddy"' The guy I spoke with told me that has never happened. Another case of a company that is not allowed to openly admit they break the rules, but attempting to let you know they will. I don't like having to go without the seat, but it would be no different than being on a Cunard Bus transfer or taxi.

I totally agree. I'm fine going without the car seat, I am just worried I'll be denied transfer. I talked to both Carmel and another similar one and they both told me my 3 & 5 year olds will need a car seat. I didn't flat out ask if I'd be denied if I didn't have one! Glad you did. I found another company that provides car seats (Diamond Transportation) but it'll be $200 after tips, etc to Laguardia. Yuck. I'm so torn on what to do. From the comments I read, I do not want to take the Cunard transfer. With a 3 & 5 year old, I can't even think about an hour wait in a bus before even taking off. It'll be the end of a long vacation and we'll all just be ready to get home. Waiting to hear back from my TA to see if she has any better suggestions. I'd be fine with taking two taxi's I just worry they'll be a huge line. I've done this before and for the life of me can't remember how we got to the airport from the NY pier. Thanks for your help.

Ali

Please don't take this as a critism but I always took my own child car seat with me.We drove to the airport the car seat came out and went on the plane. When we got off, we had the car seat where ever we were. I know with planes now its not like it use to be but the car seat always made it. If it is that important as it should be I wouldn't rely on any one esle..IMO.

Archived