Ship excursions in Hilo if you're going to be on Big Island later?

psyllie

It's our first trip to Hawaii--we're starting off with a PoAM cruise to get a taste of the islands, but then we are going to be staying in Kona on the Big Island for two weeks afterwards in timeshares.

Since we will have so much time on the Big Island, we were thinking it might make sense to use the Hilo/Kona days as pseudo-sea days and not plan any serious excursions while in those ports.

But, I know Kona is quite a ways from VNP, so should we do a ship (or on-our-own) excursion when we are in Hilo and not try to go there during the land portion of our trip? Or is VNP great enough that we might want to make the trip to Hilo and maybe do an overnight there?

I know we'll want to do a little something, so if we'd be better off postponing our VNP until later, then is there much to see if we just hop on a Hilo Hattie's shuttle?

Any info greatly appreciated!

This is a hard call. You are right....the trip from Kona to VNP is a LONG day if you try to do it in one day. Since you will have two weeks in Kona I think considering an overnight in Hilo or Volcano during this time would be the way to go. There is plenty to explore in the Hilo and Puna areas to keep you busy for two days.

The Hilo Hatties in Hilo is in the parking lot of Prince Kuhio Mall....the only mall on the Big Island. It has the usual array of mall shops...Macy's, Radio Shack, Payless, etc....but also has a few more "local" type shops that are fun to browse around in.

Another idea for Hilo would be to take a cab downtown...to the bayfront area. There are lots of interesting little shops and restaurants...although since the POAm is in Hilo on a Sunday, I am not sure all of them would be open.

Since we live here on the Big Island, we always use Hilo and Kona as our "sea" days...the ship is always peaceful and quiet!!

Archived