Day at Caye Caulker

jimmyjamma

Hello Everyone, hope you can help me solve my dilemma, here goes...

My wife and I just got married a few months ago and we are going with my parents to Belize with NCL next week. We have decided that Caye Caulker is what we want to do, but have a couple options I would love some help with. My wife and I REALLY want to do a snorkel trip that includes some time on Caye Caulker. My parents would like to go to Caye Caulker as well, but probably skip the snorkel trip. We found Coral Breeze has a trip that is $77 for 90 mins of snorkeling and 90 mins on the island which sounds great for us. The thing is it is $39 just for the "Day at the Beach" which would allow my folks to come with and stay on the island while we snorkel. This seems a little steep considering the water taxi is only $15 roundtrip. The catch is that my mom is disabled. She can walk, just not really well and the heat makes it worse. So here are my options, what do you think:

1.) We all go with Coral Breeze. My wife and I snorkel and my parents just stay at Caye Caulker

2.) We all go with Coral Breeze. They have an observer option for $53 bucks so, we snorkel and my parents observe from the boat (will that get to long just sitting there??)

3.) We all take the water taxi-we either snorkel at the split or my wife and I attempt to find an excursion while we are on the island (Is the snorkeling from the split good?)

4.) My folks take the water taxi, we do the coral breeze tour.

Wow, that was long :-) My biggest concern is that my folks don't have to walk lots (I'm hoping that the golf carts aren't too far from the boat dock at Caye Caulker). Also, my wife and I want to do the best snorkeling possible. Also, any reccomendations on what my folks can do there while we snorkel would be appreciated! They are thinking of renting a cart and going to the split, having a drink or two and maybe doing some beach snorkeling...does that sounds reasonable? Oh and finally, my wife and I will have 90 mins at Caye Caulker, thinking of kayaking or more snorkeling...what do you think? Thanks so much!!!

hi there,

i just really wanted to reply about what you can do when you reach caye caulker. there is golf cart taxi's that can take you to rent a golf cart. also there is a glass bottom boat that you can go on, that goes out to shark ray, the split is good for snorkeling. also many places to rent gear, kayaks and bicycles. lots of local restaurants. here is the website for cayecaulker

www.gocayecaulker.com

cheers heather

Sounds like we will be there right before you, as we will be there on the Valor on Monday. We are doing the beach day with Coral Breezes.

I looked into the water taxi extensively(because of the price difference), but it seemed that I could be definitely assured of getting back to the ship on time with Coral. Apparently sometimes the water taxi waits for enough people to leave?? Just what I have been told. That may be important to you especially if you split up. If taking the water taxi, you must leave the tourism village & get past the peddlers.

I guess t comes down to if your parents want to ride & pay to watch you snorkle or just hang out on the island. I am told it is very small, yet lots to see & explore. That is what we plan to do. I know that there are also companies there that you can go out with once you are in Caye Caulker. Just be sure of the timing.

Hope that helps. Two of my neighbors here at home have just returned & they said they LOVED IT!!! in Belize.

We just returned from Belize on NCL last week. We took the water taxi from Belize City over to Caye Caulker. Just a brief note of warning...NCL says they start tendering at 8:00 am, but in reality they start tendering those passenger who have purchased shore excursions through NCL at 8:00 am.

We were staying in one of the penthouse suites and had VIP tender tickets and still had a hard time getting on an early tender boat. We had to beg and stand around. Finally they had six extra seats on the first tender, so they let us on. We didn't arrive in Belize City until 8:50 am. The water taxi to Caye Caulker leaves at 9:00 am (and then again at 10:00 am). We had to run past the guys trying to get you take their excursion and taxi, etc. to run down to the water taxi station. If you walked at a normal pace it would take you about 10-12 minutes (assuming you know where you are going). We just made the 9:00 water taxi. The ride over to Caye Caulker took about 45 minutes.

We had reserved a snorkle trip through Tsunami Adventures, which is $25 per person on the glass bottom boat. It holds about 10-12 people. My mother-in-law went out with us to watch our 13-month old baby on the boat while my husband and I snorkled. It worked out really well.

This tour was scheduled to leave Caye Caulker at 10:30 and should have lasted three hours. However, because some of the other passengers didn't make it on the water taxi in time, we didn't leave until 11:30 or so. We snorkled at Coral Garden and Shark Ray Alley. Ninja was our guide - he is great! We saw many sting rays, a nurse shark and a barracuda. They give you fresh water to drink and FRESH pineapple. Because we moved around to the different snorkle spots, it wasn't boring for my MIL at all. She doesn't swim and could watch the stingrays through the glass bottom boat.

The main differences between this and Coral Breeze is that Tsunami doesn't pick you up at Belize City and they don't provide lunch. By my calculations, we were better off going with Tsunami and eating lunch anywhere we choose.

We didn't have any trouble gettting on the 4:00 pm water taxi back to Belize City. Although, you'd probably be better off taking the 3:00 pm so you'd have more time to get back on the tender to NCL. We were rushed a little by taking the 4:00 water taxi. But it worked and we had a wonderful time!

Inahaze

P.S. Here is a picture of Ninja's son with one of the stingrays!

1004748332_Vacation021.jpg.db3222b2ccddf3de9309e3d3016df686.jpg

2060487083_Vacation020.jpg.78d8e604209e6775829ab66182cf0de4.jpg

Ok here's my two cents worth, and I will give you my opinion for what its worth. We have done the shark/Ray Alley snorkelling thing a couple years ago from the tourists village and it was great. The tour we were on dropped non snorkelling folks off at a restaurant beach called Rainbow on Caye Caulker to hang out while the others went to snorkel and swim with sharks and rays.

Last week we went back to Caye Caulker and just took the water taxi over to Caye Caulker. Be aware the water taxi is sometimes wide open without protection from wind/sun etc. as on our trip over, which was fine since we were hot and overheated the wind felt good, but we did lose some hats and sunglasses. The trip back was fine and we had a water taxi that had a roof to keep the sunand wind off. The water taxi drops you off just a short way from Rainbow, then we arranged a glass bottom boat tour to allow those of us who were adventurous to snorkel and swim with sharks and rays, and those who were curious to watch through the glass bottom. That way no one was left out and the sum total of our tour was $40 per person. It was $15 for the roundtrip water taxi and $25 for the glass bottom boat.

I agree having to leave the tourist village can be intimidating, but if I can do this with my 4 and 6 year olds, and my elderly parents aged 69 and 83, anyone can. I led the way through terminal 4, out the door to the left, about a block or two, to the water taxi stand, with a parade of 8 people following me. I just smiled politely and told them I already had a tour booked It worked out fine.

We booked the glass bottom boat through Tsunami Adventures and we had a great guide named Ninja. Heather from Tsunami met us at the dock for the water taxi in Caye Caulker and took us to their place via golf cart. He was fantastic. I really enjoyed this tour. My parents got in the water a bit and then went back in the boat with the kids.

UNfortunately we missed the 9:00 a.m. water taxi because the ship didn't get us off in time. But Tsunami waited on us to come on the 10:30 water taxi(I did call hem from Belize City to let them know we were delayed and were still coming). We had plenty of time and they did a great job. Ninja was a very strong swimmer and a great guide. We then asked them to drop us at Rainbow for a wonderful seafood feast. The folks at Tsunami really worked hard to give us a great trip. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Either way you'll have a great time.

In response to the question about the water taxis waiting around until they have a full boat- they don't do that. They are on a set schedule, and there are actually a couple of different companies. I suggest the one that is closer to the little 'shopper village' you will be dropped off at. Supposed to be more reliable.

There is, however the small danger that a taxi will not have enough room for everyone wanting to go on that trip and you would have to wait for the next one. So don't wait until the last possible taxi for your return!

You can snorkel safely at the split, it will be an easy walk for you to get there. Be aware of the currents so you don't drift too far out, there will probalby be locals around anyway that can tell you where the good spots are. There is a bar that overlooks the spilt that your parents can sit and have a beer at (to the OP). but don't count on a clean restroom or tp!! Squat city, baby!

It is small enough that most people, even with children, can get around easily, but perhaps not so much with people that have mobility difficulties.

I think you can do a trip on your own without booking a trip.

OC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We dont dive but having been to belize before and done the cave tubing, I planed somthing a little different for Our 2nd visit. We grabbed a cab to the air strip (not the big airport) and jumped on a little plane to Caye Caulker. The flight itself was worth the price...... and a day on the island was just a bonus. Flights were approx $40 RT but I bet cheaper if you just walk up. I booked on-line a month or 2 before our arrival directly with Maya Island Air. It was just incredable and a little different. Click (or copy and paste) link below for our pictures. And ofcourse..... it was a felow CC member that turned us on to this wonderful idea.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d119/jsaadat/2005%20NCL%20Majesty%20Christmas%20Cruise/Caye%20Caulker/

Archived