Internet question

aimeebd

Very technical question: Does anyone know if you can use SSH on the internet on the NCL ships, or if they limit the ports (particularly port 22)?

My BIL needs to be able to use his laptop for work and needs to be able to use SSH to do what he needs to do, and he won't come on our family trip if he can't, or if he doesn't know if he can.

Thank you!

While I'm not 100% sure - I think it is doubtful. They seem to have a very tight hold on bandwidth. They even block many heavy bandwidth websites like Skype and You Tube. You pretty much have access to Internet sites only. Maybe someone else has had some different experiences and can provide more info. Hope this helps some.

Good Luck.

Also - the connection rate is not great. DH thinks its equivalent to 144 DSL (just a guess...). That's something to keep in mind, too. I have not used my laptop on the ship, but for those I know that have - they have the same issue with block sites and speed. I doubt they allow any secure channel access.

I can't say that I knew anything about SSH until the issue was raised by my BIL, and I can't say that I fully understand it now, but it is something that allows you to establish a secure channel to a remote computer. I was hoping there would be some tech types that might know the answer.

The connection rate shouldn't be a big issue since he won't be transfering big files.

Thank you all for your help.

I've used the following off of the Norwegian Dawn, Sun, and Spirit. It is my understanding that all the ships are configured the same:

VPN - I've used Sonic Wall, Microsoft's VPN Client and CISCO VPN with success.

Remote Control - I've used VNC, PCAnywhere, Remote Desktop, and GoToMyPC.

If you worried about it, have your husband install LogMeIn from LogMeIn.Com or GoToMyPC from GoToMyPC.Com on his computer at work, and he'll be able to access it just fine. It uses port 80 which no one blocks.

I've also used FTP to upload files off the ship.

Speeds usually range from about 60K to 90K down and about 30k to 50K Up.

Also, I've never been blocked on any ports from the internet cafe's in the ports when using my laptop.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Recently back from Majesty--they don't allow ANY attachments--PDF, Word, etc.

Also the rates for usage drops during the week.

I think there's some WIFI for your own laptop but fees apply.

You can always hit an internet cafe at a port of call

Archived