Kayaking in Skagway? Time for it in Juneau?

dolly2377

I've searched through these posts and haven't really found anyone that can say if it's worth kayaking in Skagway. We have 14 hours in Skagway (which is unfortunate because it seems we would benefit from longer hours in the other ports). We would like to kayak at one of our ports but with our limited time in Ketchikan (6 hours) we'd rather do a flightseeing tour over Misty Fjords. We have 10 hours in Juneau but we'd like to do the zip line with Alaskan Canopy Adventures there (just over 3 hours).

So - here are the questions: We'd like the opportunity to see glaciers, whales & other sea life while kayaking...will we get that in Skagway?

If not, do you think we'd have time to kayak AND do the canopy tour in Juneau (Auke Bay is our preferred location based on my research)?

Any suggestions on kayak tour companies? Thanks!

There is no kayaking at Skagway, but there is at Haines if you take the fast-cat over. Glaciers are distant, whales are rare and there are no sea lion haulouts or other major wildlife attractions, but it is a gorgeous area to kayak. Those comments all apply to Juneau as well, so I'd probably choose Haines.

Murray

Archived