Formal Wear???

brneyemomma

OK I have a question concerning formal wear. My hubby does not want to wear a sport coat... He dislikes them... Can he get by with a nice button down shirt/tie/slacks? Also for me i got me a silk halter short prom/cocktail dress that is glittery. Is this formal enough????

OK I have a question concerning formal wear. My hubby does not want to wear a sport coat... He dislikes them... Can he get by with a nice button down shirt/tie/slacks? Also for me i got me a silk halter short prom/cocktail dress that is glittery. Is this formal enough????

He really should have some sort of jacket (blazer, dinner jacket, suit coat, something) at formal dinner. Yeah, he can take it off while seated, but he really should have one on when not.

Please encourage him to respect the expected standards of dress, if not for you, for the thousand other diners expecting a formal evening. There will be tuxedos, military mess dress, suits and sport coat/blazers.

Well, if he doesn't like to wear a 'sportcoat" he can go to the buffet. By the way, a "sportcoat and tie is also NOT formal wear.

I get a little tired of folks who want to skirt the dress code....formal is formal, not business casual, or anything less than traditional formal wear. If you don't want to comply, then PLEASE go exercise your other dining options, there are many from which to choose. Of course you can ignore the dress code and go as a "country bumpkin", like a few will always do.

What would you wear at home in your everyday life if your were invited to a formal event?????? It really is simple!

Here's a definition from the Cruise Diva's Web-site: "Formal night is Fantasyland for women and torture for men... from the sounds of male complaints, that is. This is your night to shine and you'll see women in everything from simple cocktail dresses to elaborate glittering gowns. Tuxedoes (either all black or with white dinner jacket) or dark suits are required for gentlemen".

Well, if he doesn't like to wear a 'sportcoat" he can go to the buffet. By the way, a "sportcoat and tie is also NOT formal wear.

I get a little tired of folks who want to skirt the dress code....formal is formal, not business casual, or anything less than traditional formal wear. If you don't want to comply, then PLEASE go exercise your other dining options, there are many from which to choose. Of course you can ignore the dress code and go as a "country bumpkin", like a few will always do.

What would you wear at home in your everyday life if your were invited to a formal event?????? It really is simple!

Here's a definition from the Cruise Diva's Web-site: "Formal night is Fantasyland for women and torture for men... from the sounds of male complaints, that is. This is your night to shine and you'll see women in everything from simple cocktail dresses to elaborate glittering gowns. Tuxedoes (either all black or with white dinner jacket) or dark suits are required for gentlemen".

Hear, here. By the way, somehow I think that men who believe that formal wear is "torture" simply have the wrong formal wear. There is no reason a tuxedo, shoes, a jacket, a tie, a cummerbund or even a vest need be tortuous. If they are, you need to get a new suit - a suit or tuxedo CAN be wuite comfortable if it is properly fitted and worn - and they're so much FUN to wear!

I don't own a tux, but I do agree with CwuzCwazy and Parrot! If you don't want to "dress" up for formal night, thats your own decision... but please do respect the dress code and the other guests that do enjoy to dress up while on vacation. I will be in a simple dark gray suit with a tie and my nice shiny shoes... simple, yet still classifies as dressy IMO. I wouldn't mind owning a tux, some are just so expensive... maybe a later investment?! I think so!

aadams. I bght a very nice, all wool tux on ebay and they even hemmed the trousers before shipping. My tailor here tailored the jacket to my specs and it is just fine. The tux was actually new and from a formalwear rental agency.

I think I paid $75 plus shipping and I've worn it at least ten times in the last five years. I was reluctant but have been very happy with it.

aadams. I bght a very nice, all wool tux on ebay and they even hemmed the trousers before shipping. My tailor here tailored the jacket to my specs and it is just fine. The tux was actually new and from a formalwear rental agency.

I think I paid $75 plus shipping and I've worn it at least ten times in the last five years. I was reluctant but have been very happy with it.

I really hope it was a new Tux and not from someone that had already worn it.

I really hope it was a new Tux and not from someone that had already worn it.

I am certain it was a used tux...so what? there are tux shops all over town that sell used tuxedos. They look like new, are cleaned and fitted. They usually run from 80.00-120.00. I bought one yeqars ago when I was a musician playing gigs in resorts. the fact that it had been worn by someone else did not matter to me. That is what cleaning is for...

By the way Gents, Tuxedos do not have to be really expensive. I have bought mine at JC Penney's for $99, a really nice looking tux. Then you can go on-line and find very reasonable shirts, ties, vests, and shoes. My complete rig cost me about $175. Now we do cruise frequently, so I get plenty of wear out of it.....but you don't have to spend a great deal to look sharp on Formal Night.

Hear, here. By the way, somehow I think that men who believe that formal wear is "torture" simply have the wrong formal wear. There is no reason a tuxedo, shoes, a jacket, a tie, a cummerbund or even a vest need be tortuous. If they are, you need to get a new suit - a suit or tuxedo CAN be wuite comfortable if it is properly fitted and worn - and they're so much FUN to wear!

BRAVO and to add to the not only are they fun to wear, but the perks can be how shall we say....MAGNIFICENT.:D I've always been of the mind "if you look good, you feel good."

To the OP - you guys will look like a mis-matched couple if you are wearing a cocktail dress and your DH doesn't bother with a coat and tie. How disappointing for you. Cruises are a great time to get formal portraits taken. And your DH can rent a tux and shoes on the ship, so he doesn't even have to OWN formal clothes! Try to get him to dress up for you!

Interesting, you can rent shoes....

I think it is nice when everyone looks dressed up, but there will be some folks who don't want to, and won't. On our cruise a man wore jeans, a jacket and white shirt with bolo tie, and cowboy boots. His wife looked irritated (though dressed to the 9's), but he looked like he was having a ball! As long as they feel comfortable around everyone else all fancied up, i'm sure they will be fine.

Your dress sounds nice - do what works best for you - and what makes you feel good.

My husband rented onboard once before he found a deal and bought a tux. I don't recall how expensive but we just had measurements done and as I recall arranged the tux through the cruise line. The tux was hanging in our closet when we boarded.

Ok.. Honestly if all of you are just going to be negative then I really don't want to hear it. I do not know any of you so i do not appreciate the comments that were left. I was asking a question. If it was unacceptable then why is it an option on carnival's site? For one we will not be mismatched because his clothes will match my dress. And it will look nice. Thanks but no thanks....

Ok.. Honestly if all of you are just going to be negative then I really don't want to hear it. I do not know any of you so i do not appreciate the comments that were left. I was asking a question. If it was unacceptable then why is it an option on carnival's site? For one we will not be mismatched because his clothes will match my dress. And it will look nice. Thanks but no thanks....

Honey, if you're posting a question and expecting ONLY the answer you want to hear, then you're posting in the the wrong place. ;)

Why did you ask a question if you didn't want an honest answer? I thought everyone was very nice about it.

The fact is, a sports coat and tie is not formal wear and a button up shirt and tie without a coat is really not formal wear.

Wear what you want - the few that are not dressed appropriately are the ones who will look out of place.

Have fun on your cruise!

Carnival's definition of "formal" is not what most people are used to. From their website:

"Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit"

According to them, tuxedos are absolutely optional and suits/ties, sport coats are completely acceptable.

Why does everyone rag on people without a tux when it's laid out this way in the "guidelines"?

Archived