Formal Wear???

brneyemomma

I didn't know God sailed Carnival. Wait till the word gets out on the other boards. :eek:

Hey Mr Pete I didnt mean to get made fun of . Apparently some people think if they go on vacation that they leave God at home that aint true I didnt think poeple would make fun of what i said because If you believe in God you take him where ever you go. He is every where in this world as long as you believe in Him.

I feel very affended by your comment.

I was just trying to do the Christain thing and let people no God loves us for who we are. I am sorry if i made people mad or said something they didt want to here.

My DH and I will be dressed up i was just trying to helpthers out who might be needing some direction. We had freinds from our Church go on cruises and they told us they just wore nice dress suits for men no tie no jacket. and it was ok .

SORRY FOR TRYING TO HELP AND LET PEOPLE KNOW WHERE MY HEART IS IN THIS.

On the formal nights which I believe are 2 on a 7 day cruise ...are those nights the nights that lobster and prime rib are served? It seems I've read that somewhere and that could be where part of this issue regarding "rule breakers" comes in. When we booked our cruise I had spoken with a PVP from Carnival and when asked about dress codes he was very quick to offer that it was a very casual ship and that dress pants and a dress shirt would get you into the dining room on any night. Now later reading all the threads about formal wear and reading Carnival's site I see this is an issue for many. Why offer lobster and prime rib only on formal nights? When people talk about their cruises the first thing we hear about is "OMG the lobster and prime rib" over and over again it seems to be a high light of their cruise. We don't sail until June 2nd and I'm still not sure if I want to bother with the two formal nights. I also don't want to go home feeling like I missed out on something seen as a highlight of the trip. :confused:

We don't sail until June 2nd and I'm still not sure if I want to bother with the two formal nights. I also don't want to go home feeling like I missed out on something seen as a highlight of the trip. :confused:

Life is full of choices.

L&PR is only served on the first formal night. You can skip the second and hit the buffet instead if you so desire.

ETA, Prime Rib is served a second night on a 7 day cruise but not necessarily on the second formal night.

I've stayed out of this one as it's always the same thing. :rolleyes:

First, this is a cruising board. If you want to talk religion, I'm sure there are boards for that as well.

Second, the post from Blazer Boy as reposted by Mr. Pete is the best response I have ever seen to this topic. Everyone should read it again. People, you are purchasing a specific type of vacation. That includes formal nights and required dress. Either get with the program or find another type of vacation. If you aren't comfortable in formal clothing, there are other options open to you on those nights. Being properly dressed is part of the cost of the cruise, so come prepared or, again, find another type of vacation.

Do I notice what others wear? Yes I do. I enjoy seeing all the passengers dressed up, especially the little ones. Do I let it ruin my dinner if others aren't dressed appropriately? No I don't. Will I leave a comment on the card at the end of the cruise? I have and I will.

You are on vacation, but you are not alone and you should remember your manners and exercise a few social graces. Popular trends are just that, trends. It does not make them right in every situation.

On the formal nights which I believe are 2 on a 7 day cruise ...are those nights the nights that lobster and prime rib are served? It seems I've read that somewhere and that could be where part of this issue regarding "rule breakers" comes in. When we booked our cruise I had spoken with a PVP from Carnival and when asked about dress codes he was very quick to offer that it was a very casual ship and that dress pants and a dress shirt would get you into the dining room on any night. Now later reading all the threads about formal wear and reading Carnival's site I see this is an issue for many. Why offer lobster and prime rib only on formal nights? When people talk about their cruises the first thing we hear about is "OMG the lobster and prime rib" over and over again it seems to be a high light of their cruise. We don't sail until June 2nd and I'm still not sure if I want to bother with the two formal nights. I also don't want to go home feeling like I missed out on something seen as a highlight of the trip. :confused:

You won't miss out on anything. They will let you into the dining room. Wrong or right, politcally correct or not, yes, they will not stop you from dining. They offer the prime rib and lobster on the short cruises on formal nights as it is suppsed to be festive, formal=big, dressy party! On our longer ones, they have been know to offer prime rib/beef wellington on several nights. You can also order the dinner menu in your cabin! We had one cruise where we got sick on the 2nd of 3 formals nights and ordered the dinner menu in our cabin. It was very nice, not the same as going to the dining room, but we didn't wish to give our tablemates our cold! Usually I just answer the question, but I believe if your PVP told you that, then they should just do away with the "suggested attire". Go, feel comfortable doing it, I would say bring a jacket/tie if he feels he wants to wear it and do not worry about "opinions". Enjoy your cruise! :D

Carnival offers several dining options for guests that chose not to follow the attire guidelines for the dining room. If you make the choice not to dress according to the guidelines and prefer a casual, laid-back cruise, then you have the option of dining at the buffet, grill, deli, 24 hr. pizzeria, or you may order room service.

Not to be preachy but Ive always thought being a Christian means the bar is raised not lowered. Other people will notice if we follow the established rules or rebel against them. Its important for me to follow rules , be a good citizen etc..because I am a Christian.

Im just making this point because of what is being said.

If we had no rules there would be total caos.

I feel sorry for the people who will rebel against the most simple easily followed rules.

As far as formal wear is defined it is what it is.

Regardless of how its redefined for the sake of people who dont want to follow rules.

If you cant follow easy simple rules how can you follow the more difficult ones.

A society without rules is a society that will sooner or later enter caos.

It is difficult to not bring Christianity into any topic for me because its what I am and I cant seperate from it.

I do appreciate the wisdom and comments of others on this board on other topics.

And I do appreciate someone else who doesnt agree with me.

The wisdom here will help people have great cruises.

Im going to have a great first cruise.

Tim:cool:

You won't miss out on anything. They will let you into the dining room. Wrong or right, politcally correct or not, yes, they will not stop you from dining.

That would be incorrect.

On one of my sailings, we were right by the door, table for ten, and perched high, and those that weren't dressed were not allowed in.

What was strange was some did return dressed, so they had the clothes with them. :confused:

You won't miss out on anything. They will let you into the dining room. Wrong or right, politcally correct or not, yes, they will not stop you from dining. They offer the prime rib and lobster on the short cruises on formal nights as it is suppsed to be festive, formal=big, dressy party! On our longer ones, they have been know to offer prime rib/beef wellington on several nights. You can also order the dinner menu in your cabin! We had one cruise where we got sick on the 2nd of 3 formals nights and ordered the dinner menu in our cabin. It was very nice, not the same as going to the dining room, but we didn't wish to give our tablemates our cold! Usually I just answer the question, but I believe if your PVP told you that, then they should just do away with the "suggested attire". Go, feel comfortable doing it, I would say bring a jacket/tie if he feels he wants to wear it and do not worry about "opinions". Enjoy your cruise! :D

Opinions are just that, opinions, and everyone has one. However, that doesn't make it the rule. Whether or not someeone inappropriately dressed will be allowed entry to the dining room will depend on if the Maitre D' is doing his/her job. And, unless Carnival is now telling their PVPs to quote directly from the Web site, you will get all kinds of answers as to what will be allowed or not. The Web site does not vary in what it says, PVPs will.

I've stayed out of this one as it's always the same thing. :rolleyes:

First, this is a cruising board. If you want to talk religion, I'm sure there are boards for that as well.

Second, the post from Blazer Boy as reposted by Mr. Pete is the best response I have ever seen to this topic. Everyone should read it again. People, you are purchasing a specific type of vacation. That includes formal nights and required dress. Either get with the program or find another type of vacation.

Amen to that. I fail to see how this is any different then demanding to be seated at a "formal" restaurant in your "nice" black pleated jeans and dress shirt just because you feel entitled to eat what they are serving. If these people went to, say New York, for vacation would they DEMAND to be seated at the most formal restaurant in the city just because, dammit, they're on vacation and they can wear whatever they want? I wonder how far that would go.

It's all part of a bigger problem with the entitlement mentality. No one is ENTITLED to be seated in the restaurant. Carnival is obligated to feed you, yes, but there are plenty of other options. Just because you paid the same amount for your cruise as I paid for mine doesn't ENTITLE you to lobster and prime rib. It ENTITLES you to lobster and prime rib IF you play by the rules. And yes, you DO know this going into it. You're not entrapped once you get on the ship.

Cruisingfrompa. Under what judicial venue could the underdressed that was refused admittance to the DR sue the cruiseline. It's in international waters where the captain is the law, and the ship is registered in another country? ? ?

I really have a problem with that entitlement attitude.

For the poster who says the dress is a suggestion . . . not on my last Carnival cruise. It said required in the Capers and does so as well on the Carnival Web site. Big difference.

Originally posted by 777mjrseb>

but I don't appreciate you calling me careless and of a lower class...

By your attitude and responses you clearly established what you are!

I'm a student and I work as a supervisor for two International Airlines

Aaaah!, that explains a lot...you haven't yet finished your education,,,so I guess you should be given special treatment. Does your supervision task include any policy matters?????

And by the way, your Crayon collection is incredible, COLOR me impressed.

I don't get it. For people that just "can't miss" the lobster and prime rib, and don't want to be "forced" to dress up to eat it... my first question is, have you actually ever had it in the dining room? A can't miss??? There is far better food on the cruise than the so called "lobster" and prime rib (which is typically overcooked, and they serve some horrible "sauce" with it rather than an au jus) I mean, it's "okay" but certainly not the "highlight" of the cruise. The NIGHT itself might be, simply because people are dressed so lovely and it's a great atmosphere... I tend to prefer the wonderful side dishes and soups served that night, which I find are much better than the L&PR... If you don't want to dress up, you aren't really missing much... unless you just don't get L&PR at home and you will take it any chance you get... that I can understand... if that's the case, throw on some nice clothes and enjoy!!! If you don't want to dress up, there is plenty of food on the ship... if you do want good lobster, try the supper club... it actually tastes like lobster should taste :)

On Carnival you can't get the dinner menu delivered to your cabin... but you can get a great roast beef sandwich :D And thankfully, Carnival caps out at 2 formal nights!!!!

Everyone should understand that warm water lobster is not nearly as good as Maine (cold water) lobster. It's still good but a firmer texture and not as tasty. For warm water lobster, the ships, all lines, do a pretty good job. They certainly have enough experience. Just limit your expectations. After all, they are cooking about 4,000 on formal night.

Everyone should understand that warm water lobster is not nearly as good as Maine (cold water) lobster. It's still good but a firmer texture and not as tasty. For warm water lobster, the ships, all lines, do a pretty good job. They certainly have enough experience. Just limit your expectations. After all, they are cooking about 4,000 on formal night.

That is my point... I'm a self admitted lobster snob :p And have given up on getting them in the dining room... my expectations can't be lowered on lobster, but I understand they cook thousands at a time, so I don't expect them to be wonderful, I just choose something else. But I certainly wouldn't force myself to dress up if I was only going for the lobster, LOL I guess everyone makes decisions... formal night is much more than the actual food for many.

Goin. How about a review of Hudson's in Raleigh? I may come over to have dinner there in Aug. Daughter will be in Cary on business. Last time we ate at Stonewood Grill.

I've only been there twice... depending on what night you are going, it can be VERY crowded as many nights they have a band... I've just done the main bar and oyster bar... but haven't really had dinner there. Again, it is far too crowded for me, but they have had some really good bands there... I don't know if I would have dinner there, unless it was early in the week...

There is a pretty new restaurant that took the spot of Savannah in North Hills that I'm wanting to try... it's from the same group that does Vivace (great restaurant!!) and Porters... it's called South. It would be very convenient from Cary, just hop on 440. http://www.urbanfoodgroup.com/

That is my point... I'm a self admitted lobster snob :p And have given up on getting them in the dining room... my expectations can't be lowered on lobster, but I understand they cook thousands at a time, so I don't expect them to be wonderful, I just choose something else. But I certainly wouldn't force myself to dress up if I was only going for the lobster, LOL I guess everyone makes decisions... formal night is much more than the actual food for many.

Bah, who needs lobster at all when we've got these:

DSCN3216.jpg

Archived