Question concerning shipboard expenses.

JulesNBama

Greetings to all,

I am new to Cruise Critic and over the past several days all of your posts have been extremely helpful.

I will be sailing aboard the Norwegian Sun out of New Orleans on April 8th. This will be my first cruise aboard a NCL ship. My question is about NCL's onboard credit program used for onboard expenses. I know from NCL's website what forms of payment they accept, but what concerns me is that I am planning on using a Visa Check Card or Debit card that is linked to my checking account. On NCL's website they advise that NCL obtains pre-authorization which some banks may hold for up to 30 days. Does anyone know what the amount they will authorize for? I have calculated for shore excursions and gratuities to total $568.00.

When I last cruised with Carnival in 2005, I was allowed to apply a specific amount to my onboard account, I believe I started out with $500.00 and increased during the voyage. Will this be a similar experience?

Does anyone recomend using travelers checks verses a Debit Card for onboard expenses?

Sorry for such a long post.

Warm regards,

Jules

Norwegian Sun - April 8, 2007

Carnival Holiday - May 2005

Carnival Mardi Gras - 1988

Just my advice don't use a debit card use cash . I once used a debit card and they placed a hold on my account of $500 I think, they then charged our card at the end of the cruise for the amount of our account. However, that hold stayed on our account for 7 days. When I called the cruise line said they didn't have a hold on it, it was released, the bank claimed they couldn't do anything since they didn't place it on there. Just have a healthy balance, or don't use cash!

Hi Jules,

You should check with your bank and see what the daily limit is on your account and notify them that you will be on a cruise and ensure that the limit is sufficient for your expenses. It wouldn't hurt to have some Traveller's Checks on hand just in case and to ease your mind if you are concerned.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Cathy,

Thanks for the advice. I feel like an idiot now, after placing the post I used the "search post" icon and have located many posts concerning this topic. Thank you for your help.

Warm regards,

Jules

Just my advice don't use a debit card use cash . I once used a debit card and they placed a hold on my account of $500 I think, they then charged our card at the end of the cruise for the amount of our account. However, that hold stayed on our account for 7 days. When I called the cruise line said they didn't have a hold on it, it was released, the bank claimed they couldn't do anything since they didn't place it on there. Just have a healthy balance, or don't use cash!

Thanks for the advise, this is what I was afraid of. I think that I am going the cash/travelers check route.

Thanks again,

Jules

I don't want $ hold on my debit card either so I am going to make a big payment to my credit card before I leave. That way the money I intend to spend is already a credit on my card... if they put a hold on my cc I don't care because I rarely use it.:D:D:D

I don't want $ hold on my debit card either so I am going to make a big payment to my credit card before I leave. That way the money I intend to spend is already a credit on my card... if they put a hold on my cc I don't care because I rarely use it.:D:D:D

This sounds like a good plan, thanks for the reply.

Jules

We just got off the Pearl and gave them a credit card when we boarded, but settled the account with Traveler's checks on the final day. You can settle the account by any method you choose at the end - traveler's checks, cash, debit card, or leave it on the credit card.

We just got off the Pearl and gave them a credit card when we boarded, but settled the account with Traveler's checks on the final day. You can settle the account by any method you choose at the end - traveler's checks, cash, debit card, or leave it on the credit card.

Thank you, your input is greatly appreciated.

Jules

Tell me about the Roll Call. I am unfamiliar.

Go to the message boards and fing NCL roll calls, click on that. Then find the boat you will be sailing on, click. Now find the date your sailing. You will be able to talk to others that will be sailing with you. Great for planning cheaper shore excursions, meet and greets on board and other fun ideas.

Go to the message boards and fing NCL roll calls, click on that. Then find the boat you will be sailing on, click. Now find the date your sailing. You will be able to talk to others that will be sailing with you. Great for planning cheaper shore excursions, meet and greets on board and other fun ideas.

Thank you for the input. Since I posted the question about the Roll Call, I have joined and I am looking forward to our meet and greet. I hope this week fly's by. 6 Days until the Fun on the Sun.

Thanks again for your reply, it is greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,

Jules

Maybe I'm a little confused... but why don't you use your credit card but make the deposit right before the payment is due? When you get your credit card statement you will have X # of days to pay without penalty.

Archived