Norwegian Pearl or Star or Golden Princess to AK with Mom and Daughter

SeattleCruiser07

I am taking my mom on a cruise for her 65th birthday in June with my 4-year-old daughter. I live in Seattle so I am looking only at Seattle roundtrip options. I have pretty much ruled out HAL due to the formality / structured meals. (And I read some posts here about Club HAL not really impressing …) My daughter is a great traveler and normally well-behaved in restaurants, but she is alas, four. So I think I have it narrowed down to Norwegian Pearl or Star or Golden Princess. The Pearl rates are much higher than Star – I know it is a brand new ship but is it worth the extra money? What about the differences between NCL and Princess in general? Food? Kid's programs? Pools and fitness facilities? (I go to the gym a few times a week and would love to keep up with my workouts using treadmill or elliptical trainer … and I love swimming laps – I think only NCL Star has an indoor lap pool?)

We won't be much into the grown-ups entertainment – maybe just a nice glass of wine and some music if we get a babysitter or something. I envision some spa stuff and lots of walking, lounging & reading for my mom and me while Zoe is in a kid's. I've been to Alaska before and mom will be semi-interested in ports / scenery at best. The point really is time together and this is an easy way to do it since I live here. (Mom will be coming in from Boston.)

So, feedback please for this first-timer!

TIA,

SeattleCruiser07

:)

the route the pearl is doing might be better then the route the NCL star is doing. we did the star last year, it went to glacier bay...loved it. but this year the star is doing tracy arms...hard to big ship to get in to see the glaciers. unles you want to do the expenive excurison the ship offers.

either of the NCL ships would be good...easy eating shedule..yours. you could get a table together without other people sitting with you, unless you ask for it. reports are great about the kids programs.

last i heard they had a fee for the lap pool, using the spa area...i think it was $15 a day? that is not the gym area, that is open for use.

i think the pearl is more, yes, it's a newer ship..but it's the better route.

have fun researching it.

Archived