Snorkle-Cayman/Cozumel/Belize/Costa Maya??

westmich

Hello,

We are cruising THIS Sunday to Cayman. Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya. Hubby had Laser correction surgery on his eyes and this will be the first time he can actually see the fish. We are already booked for cave-tubing in Belize....but may have some time left there. Can someone please rate, in order, where you would recommend snorkling? Or even tell me what place you have enjoyed in the last year or so????

THANKS!!!

We just went on the western Carribean Cruise end of Jan.

We snorkeled in Cozumel at Chankanaab Park. We took a taxi $10.00 for 4 one way. The Park fee is 16.00 per person, coupon at the park web site for2.00 off everyone. We have our own snorkeling gear but they also rent it there. There are nice lounge chairs and shade free of charge once in the park. There are snackbars restroom and a very nice swimming pool to use. Nice garden area to walk around and see lots of iguanas. I have been here twice and really enjoy the day at this park. We had many many fish surrounding us when we snorkelled.

Belize has an incredible reef and we did a private snorkel excursion with CoralBreezesTour.com that included a boat ride out to the reef with a great guide and good equipment if you don't have your own. We also stopped at SharkRay Alley to snorkel with nurse sharks and stingrays. We say tons of fish,morey eel, incredible brain coral, spiney sea urchins and baraccuda. We stopped for an okay lunch at Caye Caulker. I think the cost was 75.00 cause we booked early 83.00 regular including lunch. They also have a rate for non snorkelers. The staff were wonderful especially the snorkel guide. She talked to all the children about what fis we would see before the snorkel.

It was the best snorkelling site I have every been to.

On another cruise in Grand Cayman we snorkeled with Cap'n Marvin he is the best tour outfitter only 7 of us on the boat.

Have fun. Jeanine

• 2 weeks later...

I would put Grand Cayman (Eden Rock or Stingray City tour) and Cozumel (Chakanaab Park) above Belize and Costa Maya. We went out to Caye Caulker (Belize) and didn't have good snorkeling. But probably saw the least amount of sea life in Costa Maya.

I agree with snorkleChick!

We loved Eden Rock (you can walk to it from the pier) and Chankanaab Park was just wonderful! The renovations after hurricane damage are full speed ahead, and it is well worth the visit.

We found the current a bit swift (seniors you know;) ) so we walked to the bottom entrance to the beach and snorkeled to the top end.

Loved the restaurant and watching folks swim with dolphins as well.

It was reasonable...and we will definitely do both sites again.:)

I would put Grand Cayman (Eden Rock or Stingray City tour) and Cozumel (Chakanaab Park) above Belize and Costa Maya. We went out to Caye Caulker (Belize) and didn't have good snorkeling. But probably saw the least amount of sea life in Costa Maya.

Where exactly did you snorkel in Costa Maya?

How exactly do you get to eden rock from where they let you off from the tender?

Costa Maya was our only stop on that cruise where we didn't do a shore excursion. We just snorkeled from the shore. We only saw one stingray and a few fish. We've snorkeled from the shore in Grand Cayman and Cozumel (and ports other than what the OP is asking about) and have seen an abundance of sea life. I've heard others say the snorkeling isn't that great in Costa Maya.

For Eden Rock, when you get off the tender, walk a couple of blocks to the right. It's a blue house-like building with I believe a dive flag on the shore side. Here's their website with more info: http://www.edenrockdive.com/.

Shore snorkeling from Grand Cayman and Cozumel is a lot like the movie 'The sixth sense".... I see dead things. No coral to speak of, a few fish.

However in Costa Maya if you go to Mahahaul and swim out to the barrier reef you will see an exremely healthy reef. I snorkeled with Blue Ocean Safari out of Mahahaul. Once you're done with their tour, you can drink and eat at the Blue Iguana and then swim back out to the reef. It's a fairly easy if you're a decent swimmer and the crocodiles don't getcha'.

GC and Cozumel do have nice reefs, but they're further out from shore.

Mike

PS. I was kidding about the crocodiles.

Sorry, I should have clarified that it was also Majahual (Costa Maya) where we snorkeled off the shore. Some people snorkel near where the cruise ship docks, but it was very crowded, so we walked down to Majahual. I would recommend taking a taxi instead of walking.

Archived