Malasadas & Shave Ice - Where are your Favorites?

scsagh

I know from an old post, MikeKaye had written this about malasadas:

The place that made malasada famous in hawaii is leonard's bakery on 933 Kapahulu ave -- on the edge of waikiki up the street a ways from the zoo.

This street also has many good value ethnic eateries catering to locals.

Also Champion Malasadas on beretania st.

In Kahului Maui there is Simply Sweets at 150 Hana Hwy

They also have malasadas at special events like the punahou carnival.

By the way Malasadas are PORTUGESE. There is a lot of portugese cultural influence in hawaii, such as the ukelele

I seem to remember reading somewhere awhile back about somewhere on the Big Island that has good malasadas, but can't find it now. Anyone tried any there? My husband and kids, OK, me too, can't wait to try them.

Also really looking forward to trying shave ice. Does anyone have favorite locations and flavors?

I'll even eat an extra one for you! :D

The place for malasadas here on the Big Island is Tex's Drive In...in Honokaa.....about halfway between Hilo and Kona. Just did that drive last week from Hilo to Kona and stopped for a malasada at Tex's while driving in each direction!! Guilty pleasure for sure!!

The very best shave ice is at Jo Jo's on the Island of Kauai. It's in Wiamea on the way up to the Wiamea Canyon. The Rainbow shave ice with macadamia ice cream in the bottom. That was the best and I tried a lot. I might add that it was recomended by the revealed books

Shave ice at Jo Jo's on Kaui is awesome!

We also liked a place in Pa'ia on Maui, called ALoha Shave Ice. It's on the left hand side of the road, just as you pass Ho'okipa Overlook and come into town. That place is our favorite by far.

Matsumoto's on the North Shore of Oahu is really popular, with very long lines, but we weren't impressed. Didn't like Aoki's, a few doors down, either.

I vote for Tex's in Honokaa for the malasadas too!! Isn't there one down there by South Point? I thought I saw a sign on the highway. My vote for best shave ice in Kona would be Scandinavian Shave Ice down there only a block or so from the pier.

Emi

My vote for best shave ice in Kona would be Scandinavian Shave Ice down there only a block or so from the pier.

I've seen a lot of people praise that place, yet to try it myself.

Gotta remember next time.

I think the best malasadas are at the Punahou carnival each year. :)

Libby can't wait till December to get shave ice again. She LOVED it this past Xmas and had it 3 times... best was at the stand outside Longs Drugs in BI (forgot the name.. was top rated by Revealed). Didn't get to JoJo's since it was Xmas when we went to Waimea (they were closed) and we'll be staying in Lihue so probably we HAVE to stop by when we go to Poipu for some boogie boarding. Went to place on the way back from Hanalei which was good also (it's the truck in Revealed which says the guy is kinda "grumpy" but we didn't find him that way.. was really nice and stayed opened even though it was Xmas eve <around 5ish>, Now we'll have a week on Kauai to get our fill of shave ice there and then we'll be in Oahu for 5 days to get some more and also try Leonards for malasadas (think I've got the place right).

Libby's counting down the months for shave ice

(btw we've still got a mound of snow outside that we've been thinking about making our own shave ice -- though don't know what to use for syrups lol).

Carolyn

My vote for best shave ice in Kona would be Scandinavian Shave Ice down there only a block or so from the pier.

Emi

I finally had a shaved ice and ... I don't get it! It's a snow cone! Coincidentally, I had one within walking distance of the pier in Kona, but I can't remember the name of the place -- it was in the back of a little shopping plaza near a jewelry store (that limits it down, huh?). Maybe I just didn't go to the right place or have the right mix of flavors.

I found this that explains the difference a bit

Shave ice can be found everywhere in the Hawaiian Island - in coffee shops, mom and pop stores, shave ice stands, lunch wagons, crack seed stores, and especially at any and all public events. In Hawaii, shave ice is thought of as a snack and a thirst quencher.

Mainlanders call them snow cones, but locals in Hawaii call it shave (not shaved ice). Unlike a mainland snow cone, shave ice is not ground ice. The shave ice is so fine that flavorings are absorbed into the ice rather than settling to the bottom of the cup as with a snow cone. In other words, it is the gourmet's snow cone in tropical flavors.

An authentic shave ice starts with a block of ice that is spun across a razor-sharp blade (which shaves the ice creating a soft snow-like texture). Then it is packed into a paper cone, and flavored syrup is poured over the ice.

Usually you can choose up to three flavors, or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the bottom of the cone to create a delicious treat. The ultimate shave ice is with a mochi coating (a rice cake). In the 1950s, children would order their shave ice by color only, knowing what flavor each color represents. A mix of colors was called kalakoa, Hawaiian for "calico."

Japanese plantation workers who migrated to Hawaii around 1920 to 1930 to work in the sugar and pineapple fields bought shave ice to Hawaii. The workers enjoyed it as a refreshing break in the hot, tropical climate. The pickers would use their machetes to shave flakes of ice from a large block of ice into cups, then pour different fruit juices over the top. These ice treats remain popular in Japan, which is the source of most shave ice machines.

From http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ShaveIce.htm

I personally like it with frozen yogurt at the bottom and I like root beer. They make them so huge though that it is hard to eat the whole thing by myself.

Emi

As a kid we used a handcrank machine from Japan, worked well but took a little effort. We mostly used root beer syrup. If the ice isn't shaved it is a waste of time, the ground ice is so lame in comparison. I think shave ice can be as good as ice cream. When I buy it today I usually get a combo of vanilla (blue) and coffee flavors

So true Dan!! hehehehehehe

Mike - can you imagine trying to shave ice with a machete?? That's why I can't be on Survivor - those machetes scare me....lol!! (like that is the ONLY reason)

Emi

Yeah I think there are some other issues you'd have with survivor.

Yesterday I read this news article intro to my friend.

"Emaciated and riddled with insect bites, two Frenchmen emerged alive yesterday after surviving seven weeks lost in the Amazonian jungle on a diet of bird-eating spiders, frogs, centipedes and turtles. "

My friend's response:

"So a normal French diet in other words."

Glad I wasn't drinking something because it would have shot out my nose

Ewe Emmy, I can't bring myself to try frogs legs although those that have say they "taste just like chicken". Mike, I once tried Escargot and what I got down was not bad but I could not get my mind around the fact that this was a snail!!! Funny how we, as civilized americans can accept eating a chicken, cow, turkey and such but not other things. My DH, having been raised in Kailua-Kona can eat things I can't. That is the way he grew up.

I consider myself an adventurous eater but I never understand the appeal of escargo. I tried it a few times but it just tastes like dirt in butter. Maybe people just want lots of butter.

I was getting really hungry reading this thread...but now, not so much.:D I completely agree about escargot. It's no wonder people drown them in garlic and butter--it's to disguise the fact that they are eating a slug.

And not so much for the frog's legs either. (All the more for those who enjoy them.)

beachchick

Yes frog legs do taste like chicken, chicken that's spent its' life sitting in swamp water. Many years ago we used to travel to a town about 50 miles away, Collegeville Pa for a smorgasboard where they served frog legs as well as lobster tails, all you could eat. Price was less than $5 so it was a lot of years ago. In 7 trips to the Islands we have yet to try Malasadas and shave ice, maybe this November we'll remedy that.

I know from an old post, MikeKaye had written this about malasadas:

The place that made malasada famous in hawaii is leonard's bakery on 933 Kapahulu ave -- on the edge of waikiki up the street a ways from the zoo.

This street also has many good value ethnic eateries catering to locals.

Also Champion Malasadas on beretania st.

In Kahului Maui there is Simply Sweets at 150 Hana Hwy

They also have malasadas at special events like the punahou carnival.

By the way Malasadas are PORTUGESE. There is a lot of portugese cultural influence in hawaii, such as the ukelele

I seem to remember reading somewhere awhile back about somewhere on the Big Island that has good malasadas, but can't find it now. Anyone tried any there? My husband and kids, OK, me too, can't wait to try them.

Also really looking forward to trying shave ice. Does anyone have favorite locations and flavors?

I'll even eat an extra one for you! :D

How far from Waikiki Beach is Leonard's Bakery? can I walk it?

Yes frog legs do taste like chicken, chicken that's spent its' life sitting in swamp water.
LMAO!!!
In 7 trips to the Islands we have yet to try Malasadas and shave ice, maybe this November we'll remedy that.
You should Dan, definately!!

Emi

Tim Cruise: It was not within walking distance and the place is a little hard to get into. Tiny, odd-shaped parking lot that probably stays full most of the time. I have heard that there are Leonard's trucks that sell malasadas near Waikiki Beach. Sure would like to know where those usually park as walking to one of those would be a lot easier than having to drive to the bakery.

They are good enough to warrant a trip, though, if we can't find one near the beach. I think my son will really like them.

I'm dieting now, so malasadas sound really important to me right now!

Archived