Can I transfer?

nyslb49

I booked us a cruise for may 19th leaving out of nyc to the bahamas i asked for the 8 night spirit cruise but got the 7 night dawn cruise. I called up to let them know but they were very unhelpful and basically said if i want to change itll cost 660 dollars. Anyone have any ideas about what i can do?

I'm confused by how this could happen. Somewhere, someone made a mistake. How could you request the Spirit and get the Dawn?

Unfortunately, if you are confirmed for the Dawn, you are now past the final payment date. That means you can't cancel without incurring a substantial penalty. You really can't transfer your booking to a different ship. In fact, you can't even transfer your booking to a different sailing on the same ship. It would be considered a cancellation of your original booking, which would trigger the penalty.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Did you book with a TA? Or NCL directly? I too am a little confused as to who you 'asked' for a cruise. Regardless, you can't transfer, but with the Dawn changing itineraries etc., you might want to check with your TA or whoever you booked with, and when the itineraries have been changing they offer the opportunity to cancel. This may be your only way out without penalty if that is the case. Maybe that's an avenue you could take. Good luck.:)

the whole booking process was confusing between me and my brother grabbing the phone from each other and we weren't sure which ship to take and i guess we just mixed up the two and when she said dawn we figured that was right its weird but i guess i gotta live with it. Hopefully they change something and we can get to another ship if you think of anythign let me know. Everyone was so upset when they cancelled the two dawn cruises i on the otherhand are hoping they cancel mine. Any insight would be great thanks again.

the whole booking process was confusing between me and my brother grabbing the phone from each other and we weren't sure which ship to take and i guess we just mixed up the two and when she said dawn we figured that was right its weird but i guess i gotta live with it. Hopefully they change something and we can get to another ship if you think of anythign let me know. Everyone was so upset when they cancelled the two dawn cruises i on the otherhand are hoping they cancel mine. Any insight would be great thanks again.

In reading all of your previous posts, it seems that you did not make a mistake at all, but started to feel that due to the Dawn problems, you should consider changing to the Spirit after originally booking the Dawn.

Hopefully you will enjoy the cruise - It is sure to be just fine. Go with a positive attitude, and you will surely have a great time.

Good Luck!

well what happened was i realized we were on the wrong cruise but tried to make due but after the lack of positive information i heard about it i now am trying to switch back. either way im sure itll be great though so its not a total downfall.

although id like to be optimistic and hope the revenue department would refund the money i cant gamble with 660 dollars especially when its only around a thousand a piece. thanks for your help unfortuantely im just gonna have to deal.

I had a similar problem about a year ago.

Back in March 2006, I booked a cruise on the Dawn with a May sailing. Since I was already within the final payment period, I was required to make full payment, which I did. Within days, a personal matter came up and I had to change my sailing date to July. I immediately called my travel agent and switched the dates. Since I was past final payment, I was penalized $500 for cancelling the May sailing.

Now, I understood the policy and was perfectly willing to accept the consequences. But I also felt it wouldn't hurt to ask NCL to waive the penalty. After all, I'm a loyal NCL cruiser (this was my 7th NCL cruise) and I felt that cancelling within days of booking along with immediately rebooking might help my cause. My TA contacted NCL and was told no, they would not waive the penalty. OK, fine. Then, my TA suggested that I write a letter to NCL, cc'ing my TA. I did so. Again, my TA was told no.

I then asked my TA to ask NCL whether an onboard credit was a possibility in lieu of waiving the penalty. Again, no. About two weeks before sailing, my TA suggested one last plea. She suggested writing a second letter, politely stating the facts of the matter and requesting either a waiver or OBC. About a week later, my TA received what we figured was the final word: again, no.

So, I went on the cruise with no further thought concerning the penalty. When I got back from the cruise (which was very nice), there was a voicemail from my TA saying she had good news for me. I immediately called her and found out that NCL had decided to refund my $500 and that it would show up within the next 2 billing cycles on my credit card. As it turned out, the credit showed up within a week or so. I was thrilled.

NCL was under no obligation to honor my request since they were well within their rights to impose the $500 cancellation penalty. The moral of the story: be persistent and courteous, stick to the facts, and you stand a chance of being heard.

But youo people sure did scare the heck out of me so this will be my last post. Couldn't even get through a whole day...:( :( :(

Hope you didn't think I was trying to scare you. I only made the comments I did (was it this thread or that other one?) as a warning. Again, I'm glad that you were able to help some people and hope it doesn't bite you in the butt. You seem like a good person with good intentions. That should be rewarded rather than penalized (IMO) but I completely understand why you might not want to post here in the future...anyhow good luck.

i thgouth about if posting the reservation number was risky but theres no way for nayone to know any of the billing information so its not a problem.

I've been trying to figure out how anyone could use that info also. I guess if someone wanted to call NCL they could impersonate you (using the booking number) but I don't even know how that would work since they don't know your name & the names of the other people on the booking. But I've been out of the loop on internet security for a while (I previously sold computers & software-as well as other items-in a university bookstore)

-Monte

Archived