Help! Bottom deck..

sviramo

Can someone give me feedback on being assigned the lowest deck on the Pride of America? I am so angry!! We were placed in room 4004 back in January and when they said "Deck 4" I thought it meant toward the top of the ship...not the very lowest deck! Now we are thinking of changing to the POA or POH instead and having to spend more money. (Me, husband and two kids ages 10 and 6) Yikes. Will we be miserably far from everthing? Will we hear the engine? We are under the Hollywood Theatre..will we hear dancing? Do the waves hit our Stateroom window? Please help. I need to make a decision quickly.

Relax, Deck 4 is not the bottom deck. There are several decks below you (crew quarters and operational decks). Who are you angry with? Either you didn't do your homework or your TA wasn't very good at cluing you in. Every cruise ship counts their decks from the bottom up, just like a building.

Chances are you'll be fine. I wouldn't rebook based on a hasty decision.

I just came off deck four of the Dawn...it was great. We were the first off the ship and not far to go when we got back on. Room service will find you. Don't worry. Less rocking too...Unless you want to pay for a balcony its as good as any place else.

We've been on the same deck also. Although we jokingly called it being in the basement or the butt of the ship, it was fine. Really no difference at all. In some ways, it was more convenient to things, like the dining rooms and gangway to disembark at ports.

We've been on the lowest passenger deck on a few cruises. Besides being cheaper that the upper decks, the extra walking allows me to burn off calories that I accumulate in the dining rooms! Would I prefer an upper deck? Sure, but it's not a big deal to me and the deck our cabin is on is usually one of my last considerations.

-Monte

We were on deck four on the Pride of Aloha and thought it was very convenient -- close to the gangway and the reception/shore excursion desk. I've mainly sailed on the lower decks (being cheap), and the big advantage is that you'll feel less rocking. I've never been hit with waves against the window.

If I was not so spoiled by balcony cabins, I would chose the lowest deck (my dream is that they put balconies down there so I can wiggle my toes in the water)

:eek: I had to laugh! Would make a good fishing spot for the men too!:D

As for the OP, I'm a little confused as to how you got the bottom deck when it sounds like it certainly wasn't the deck you wanted. Was it a guarantee? But as the others posted, the bottom deck isn't all that bad. Room size is going to be the same, give or take a few feet, no matter what deck you're on unless you spring for a balcony or suite. And some specifically book the bottom decks to minimize the motion. There's a difference in price for inside and oceanview on the higher decks, but you basically get the same thing, only you pay a few hundred dollars more to take the elevator up 5 decks instead of 7. Have fun!:)

Archived