Seven Seas Mariner

We're booked on the May23 -30 trip from Vancouver to Seward. It's our very first cruise and we're sure to enjoy the cruise.

One thing I noticed today was that time in Sitka has been shortened by 3 hours according to the Regent site.

I had requested a 6 hour "bottom fishing" excursion from Sitka but since the port time is now listed as 6 hours, I guess that's out!!

I suspect the port time change might be due to the pod problems.

We look forward to the trip, but I'm now planning another strickly land-based fishing trip to try to catch a halibut - probably from the Homer area.

The Regent site still has the "bottom fishing" listed as an availabe excursion. Attention to details problems?

As it seems to be a "Regent" excursion, I wouldn't worry. They will have it all organised with their contractors and you will get your fishing trip.

However, it is a pity that you will not have time in Sitka. We found it to be the most interesting of the ports we visited, quite apart from the excursions on offer.

I also found Sitka to be the port with the most character. I would fish somewhere else ( or book a separate fishing trip as you said) and just enjoy Sitka. 6 hrs isn't a lot of time considering that you have to tender in, and you would barely start fishing before you would have to start thinking about heading back. We considered the bottom-fishing trip, but decided to to the wilderness dining/ fishing in Ketchikan instead. That was a wonderful excursion, and we caught a small halibut, but it was not deep sea fishing, if that is what you are looking for ( I was not) Anyway, you will enjoy this cruise. We are booking a strictly fishing trip there for next year.

I cancelled the fishing trip at Sitka and will do it later on a dedicated fishing trip.

The interesting history of Sitka is something to spend a little time exploring, and we'll have 6 hours to do it.

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

Archived