Rhapsody Review 3/25

Hello everyone. We had no problems with bringing 2 bottles of Jim Beam on board, they were in the plastic travel bottles in our packed luggage. We had a great time -- food, service, company -- all was great.

The water being shut off was irritating, but the hours were such that it was no big hassle.

Both our boys loved the kids program -- wanted to stay late every night. They are hoping I will book another cruise for the summer becuase they had such a great time.

lynn62 - sorry I didn't completely answer your question. My sweetie brouht a tux but wore his suit. he was PERFECTLY fine. There were a some people in tuxes but I would say 80% were suits. A pant suit would be completely appropriate for the first night if it had a little flash to it, example would be silk suit or a slightly beaded or dressier suit. The second night you could easily get away with a simple pant suit . If you click on my profile you can see a pic of me and Buz. The dress I am wearing in the picture I wore to the second formal night and again it was more than appropriate. One more thing for the men on formal nights absolutely a jacket. I wouldn't suggest just a shirt and tie. Have your hubby bring a dark suit, two dress shirts and two ties and he will be fine. Even the same ensemble and changing up the tie would also be appropriate.

Thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful.

Lynn

Lori, just curious, as we are sailing May 6th on the Mariner. You say you had the TSA locks but were called down to open your bags. I assumed the TSA locks were able to be opened by the airline personnel and also any other travel people, like the cruise companies? I'm guessing thats not correct as you had to go and open the locks for them. Is that right? My friend, who I am cruising with, just mentioned that she was going to buy the TSA locks, if it might present a problem, I will let her know.

Also, you say you bought the wine package and had wine at the pool,Windjammer,etc. Do you mean that they will use the bottles you bought in the package when you order drinks at the poool, Windjammer, etc? If so, could you also order wine at the shows and they would use your own bottle (from the package)? I will be very interested to know as I am now thinking of ordering the wine package instead of brining it on board after reading about how much they have cracked down. We are sailing out of Port Canaveral, the beginning of May, dont know if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Karen

Lori, just curious, as we are sailing May 6th on the Mariner. You say you had the TSA locks but were called down to open your bags. I assumed the TSA locks were able to be opened by the airline personnel and also any other travel people, like the cruise companies? I'm guessing thats not correct as you had to go and open the locks for them. Is that right? My friend, who I am cruising with, just mentioned that she was going to buy the TSA locks, if it might present a problem, I will let her know.

Also, you say you bought the wine package and had wine at the pool,Windjammer,etc. Do you mean that they will use the bottles you bought in the package when you order drinks at the poool, Windjammer, etc? If so, could you also order wine at the shows and they would use your own bottle (from the package)? I will be very interested to know as I am now thinking of ordering the wine package instead of brining it on board after reading about how much they have cracked down. We are sailing out of Port Canaveral, the beginning of May, dont know if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen -

We were on the cruise with Lori as well. We purchased the 10 bottle wine package - I beleive it was around $350.00. Everywhere we ordered a bottle of wine it was brought to us. We also took the wine to our stateroom. It wasn't a glass per glass type of ordering situation. You have to order by the bottle and they will not store it for you (unless you are at the pool - the bartender will keep it at the bar for you).

Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen, Yes we did have TSA locks, no problem at the airport and the small zippers we put plastic zipties on them, no one touched either. When we got called down, apparently RCI does not have the keys to open them, we had to bring the key with us. But they were opening others without locks. So I would say use TSA locks, good for airport and if RCI wants to search my bag for booze I'd rather be there to witness it, then not :eek:

I ordered the package prior to the cruise, I called RCI directly, you can do it online also, but I felt better talking in person with my credit card. Our first night at dinner the waiter knew we ordered and gave me a list of the wines to choose from for from our package we had, I like White Zinfindel, so I got the $129.95 for 5 bottles. So we had a bottle that night, then brought it back to the room. Also, we had room service one night and got it, they just need your table number, which will be on your sea pass card that you carry everywhere, no cash!! We had a bottle at Windjammer for lunch, then at the pool- if you don't finish you can take it, or they will keep it for you too! Yes you can get it at the shows also!! Anywhere you want, and if you don't finish the bottle you can take with you anywhere on the ship!! Very accomodating and easy!!! We got the drinks of the day $4.25, they were the sweet type drinks "Bahama Mama" lots of rum punch ones- YUMMY!!! :D But that is really cheap for a drink, I know here at a Olive Garden a mixed drink is $6.00. My DH and I drank a lot, way more than I ever would at home and our bar bill was only $130, not bad I don't think for 7 days straight!! So good deal and you can experiment with new things! Make sure you go to the Drink Seminar- 9.95 pp for 2 hours of FUN!!! Plus 4 mixed yummy drinks pp included- lots of dancing by the waiters :p Also, you can order the wine package on board, but why? The line is long, get it done a week before you leave, one less thing to do!! Also ice tea, hot tea, coffee and juices are all free- they have these stationed by the pools near the Windjammer, ice, water and of course the ice cream, all free! Pop cards are $42 for over 17 and $28 for kids- unlimited pop. I am a pop drinker and never had one, I drank the ice tea and loved it! The water tasted great too! Any other questions, just ask ok!! Glad to help!

Lori

Just returned from ROS out of Galveston. I was somewhat nervous of our trip due to the previous reports and am happy to report that in our experience most of the problems were fixed. There were a few exceptions..........

One HUGE complaint that no one can do anything about.... is the vaccum system (which flushes the toilets). We were in a JS on the 8th floor and the noise was unbelievavble. It sounded like 20 kids running up and down the hallway. the first two days were spent trying to find where all the noise was coming from. Literally it sounded as if they were going to crash thru the floor at any moment. We went to the front desk on numerous times and they blamed it on Spring Break kids. Well come to find out if you listen closely enough you will hear a toilet flush then followed by a series of loud bangs that fade away. It would only stop at Midnight and begin back at 6am......which brings me to the next problme, No water from 12am - 6am every night on the cruise. Make sure you fill a water bottle up if you stay up late otherwise no water until 6am.

Other than this the cruise went smoothly. Elevators were all working, the WJ was ok for buffet food, service in the dining room was wonderful and the staff very friendly. Embarkation was a breeze. We were at the pier at 11am and on the ship by 11:15. We also used the spa, had wonderful massages but I would skip a manicure if you are planning one. Overpriced for the service you receive $45.00. It was over in 20 minutes and the young lady was not happy to be there.

One other note to mention is bringing alcohol aboard. If you plan to do it, plan to be disappointed. They search every bag now and confiscate everything. If you disguise it in a bottle, it is gone (which is what we did) If it is in the original bottle you get it back at the end of the cruise. They will leave you a note in your luggage, not to mention all of your neat packing is ruined. You could absolutely tell that everything was riffled thru. Dont plan on brining it on in the ports either. No beverages are allowed back on the ship period!!! Not even un-opened bottled water. If you purchase alcohol they will collect it and give it back to you at the end. So be prepared to purchase from the ship.

Would be happy to answer any questions one might have.

This seems to be ongoing with the rhapsody. When I was on last year, they shut the water/sewer off (yes including toilets) 3 nights of the cruise.

Hey they stored ours in the main dining room, when we didn't drink the whole bottle, rare :p only happened once!! But we then got it after dinner walking around the decks! Wow 10 bottles!!! I bet you slept great! :)

Same with us - we rarely had any left......and yes I slept great at night

I WANT that garlic soup recipie. I posted on the CA board in search of the RCCL cookbook, but apparently it wasn't in there!!

I think I am going to ask for it this time. I really want it. I have tried to imitate it but I am missing something. I also love the spinach dip, I normally dont care for spinach dip either but love it on the ship. I have a few other favs, the vidialla onion tart, and the mushroom pastry thing. If I can have those few things, then I am good all week, wish they would make them for me every night... one of each and I would have my meal!

This seems to be ongoing with the rhapsody. When I was on last year, they shut the water/sewer off (yes including toilets) 3 nights of the cruise.

Strange, I was on that same cruise and the water was never shut off that I noticed. Was it just your cabin maybe? Everynight I was up until 3 or 4 am and back up at 7am, and the potties worked every time for me. Also, I have never had this problem in all the times I have sailed on her, so would not say it is ongoing.

There are a series of connected pipes, mostly by section, on the ship. It takes one clown putting something in the system and it can take down 1-2-3-4 sections until they actually locate the exact blockage and clear it. I have seen the problem persist for a whole week on other ships.

Some idiot thinks it is funny or he/she don't have to worry about it and you suddenly have hundreds of passengers inconvenienced.

Nitra -

I had the garlic soup and it was absolutely fabulous. They were selling the RCI cookbook on our cruise although I never thought to purchase it. If I come across a way to purchase the book I will get back in touch with you.

PS we also had the spinach dip 3 times.......what can I say all the drinking in the afternoon made me hungry!!!

Nitra -

I had the garlic soup and it was absolutely fabulous. They were selling the RCI cookbook on our cruise although I never thought to purchase it. If I come across a way to purchase the book I will get back in touch with you.

PS we also had the spinach dip 3 times.......what can I say all the drinking in the afternoon made me hungry!!!

They dont have it in the cookbook from what I understand. Ill be on there in like 30 days, I know a few folks in the dining room. I will get it this time because I wont be on her again.. sniff sniff.

That spinach dip is soooo good.

On garlic soup night, I skip the salad and main course and have 2 bowls of soup..

I do the same thing on spinach dip night too... LOL

Hi All,

I was on this sailing and it was so fun meeting all the CCers (except Natanni :( )

I did the seven bottle package and most nights would drink about 1/2 bottle at dinner and take the rest to my cabin, and either fill up a glass to go there or drink a glass in the cabin while reading or getting ready for dinner. I always got mine in the dining room and you do have the option of leaving an open bottle and getting it back the next night.

I bought mine on board and didn't find a line, but I was there pretty early.

I only noticed the water being off one night and not for as long as they said it would be. I usually get up in the middle of the night but maybe my timing was just good. :p

Formal night wasn't very. This was the least dressed up crowd in all my cruises, including 2 previous Rhapsody cruises. And it seemed to me that people were *more* dressed up on the second formal night than the first, which has not been my experience in the past. That said, there was a wide range of dressiness so bring what you are comfortable in, whether it's very dressy or barely dressy and don't worry about what others are wearing.

Nitra, I had and loved everyone of those appetisers you mentioned. I'm now starving, so off to find something to eat in the kitchen...

Nitra -

are we sure that the garlic soup recipe is in the cookbook?

don't think I have ahd the spinach dip--where & when is it? I think I would remember it.

They dont have it in the cookbook from what I understand. Ill be on there in like 30 days, I know a few folks in the dining room. I will get it this time because I wont be on her again.. sniff sniff.

That spinach dip is soooo good.

On garlic soup night, I skip the salad and main course and have 2 bowls of soup..

I do the same thing on spinach dip night too... LOL

and you'll come back and share, right????:rolleyes:

"Formal night wasn't very. This was the least dressed up crowd in all my cruises, including 2 previous Rhapsody cruises. And it seemed to me that people were *more* dressed up on the second formal night than the first, which has not been my experience in the past. That said, there was a wide range of dressiness so bring what you are comfortable in, whether it's very dressy or barely dressy and don't worry about what others are wearing."

I totally agree!! I would have to say that it was the least formal night I have seen in 5 cruises.

In hindsight, I wish I would have sent my son to watch after my daughter while swimming in the pool for the CC gathering :rolleyes: , or at least made it to Gaidos. We did drive by there earlier in the am to make sure we knew where it was, but we spent longer than planned at the Flight Museum and I was rather hot and cranky :p

We were aft in a wrap balcony 8588 and thankfully, didn't have any vacuum issues either! We had the water shut down at night, but we were wayyy to full of wine and food to wake up at night!

According to some of my friends that own the book, no...garlic soup is not there! Nitra....

PLEASE come back with that garlic soup recipie! And I also loved the spinich dip :)

I will try and attach a pic from formal night #1 (hubby taking pic)

DSC01509.jpg.081bc2ba4afaa501afdfc0cc403c5710.jpg

Nice picture of you and the kids, Ann. I'm sorry we didn't meet.

It's just as well you didn't show up at Gaido's. After Amy/tigfam saw the menu at Gaido's, she realized there was nothing on it her little one would eat so we all went to Casey's instead.

Gee, I cruised on Rhapsody 10/01/06 in JS 8092 (stern/aft) and on 3/4/07 in (stern/aft) balcony 7656 and never had a toilet/vacuum problem or noise problem. Also did not have my luggage checked or my alcohol confiscated. Wish you could order a bar set up like offered on NCL...

The water was only off 2 nights for us, from 12-5am we did get a note a day prior in our compass, but only 2 days on deck 4. The toliet flushing was a suction type toliet, like our boat we have here in MI, so I was used to the loud noise it made, it was no big issue for us, but like I said we were on deck 4.

Thanks for your great review! You say you were on deck four, do you mind me asking what room? We are on Rhapsody with family in August and all on deck four.

Thanks,

Kelli

Thanks for your great review! You say you were on deck four, do you mind me asking what room? We are on Rhapsody with family in August and all on deck four.

Thanks,

Kelli

Hi Kelly,

We were in room 4570, if you have an oceanview the window is pretty big, we always had the curtains opened and the view was great!!! Plus our room was only 3 from the main floor or Champaign Bar and elevators so that was a plus!! I'm jealous of you going, you'll love it!! :D Any other questions??

Lori :)

Archived