White Pass Train & Bike Tour - Skagway

sandiego1

I found this tour for $175 at cyclealaska dot com. Has anyone tried it? I've read wonderful things about the train and figure I should try it. Thought the bike trip down the Klondike Hway might be fun after the train ride.

The cruise line offers a Klondike Bike Tour for $85 ($75 if you go direct to cyclealaska). But you take a van to the summit. The cruise ship doesn't offer the train/bike combo.

I did the train/bike ride back in 2000. It was a lot of fun. The bike ride is almost all down hill with very little peddling.

How did you get from Fraser (where the highway meets the rails) to the Summit (where the downhill starts)? There is certainly lots of peddling from Fraser to the Summit, so I expect they transfer you by van.

Yes, you are met by a van in Fraser and they take you to the Summit.

To start the tour, you meet them at the railroad depot. There's a separate train car for the bike people. They told me they meet you at Fraser w/ the van and trailer full of bikes and take you down to the summit. There are 2 guides per group (4 people min to 12 people max). One guide rides in front, the other follows the last rider.

We did a similar excursion in Maui down the slopes of Haleakala. Cycle Alaska told me that their excursion isn't as steep nor does it have any hairpin turns.

I have 2 concerns. One is that they go in all weather. I can't imagine that it would be much fun in the pouring rain. I think I'd be nervous riding a bike along a mountain road if the road was wet and slippery. The other is that their cancellation policy is quite strict. You must pay in full up front. If you cancel more than 7 days before the tour, you do get a refund but they keep $25 as a "cancellation fee". If you cancel less than 7 days in advance, there is no refund.

So I'm on the fence about this tour.

You take the train from the Summit to Fraser. From Fraser, you take a van back down to the Summit. From the Summit, you ride a bike.

Yukon brings up a good point. I'll have to ask Cycle Alaska about their safety history!

Archived